What drum sets, accessories, etc. do you think will be valuable in the future?

Thank you, but honestly, we never set out to do anything other than make the best drums we could without compromise. Even sales wasn't that much of a consideration, everything we could make sold, & certainly any trading profits were extremely modest. I doubt our drums will achieve anything other than being coveted by their owners, plus a small number who knew & appreciated what they were. I'm totally happy & proud of that.

The brand was simply not well known enough in the broader drumming population, and sounding good has never been high on the drum collectability priority list.
Yessr that is remarkable! Meanwhile, I’ll keep watching for second hand Gurus ?
I agree with your statement about sound being less priority than preservation, or even quantity: that’s an interesting topic itself -

I think little to none.

Most of what is considered "collectible" and "Valuable" are drums tied to history and the famous records that used such kits.

Examples:
Vintage 60's Ludwigs because those are kits on so many classic 60s records.
Gretch because that's what Tony Elvin and many jazz masters used, as Charlie watts and others in rock.
Other 60's kits due to their respective places in music history.
Vistalites due to Bonham effect. Etc.

As good as bands may be, few have the IMPACT on the level of the Beatles, The Stones, etc as well regarded as the era's of Mile Davis and other jazz legends.

Are people really going to buy up DW kits in droves because of their heavy use during the grunge era? It's hard to see that happening. As Larry said, this stuff isn't scarce. There are so many well-made drums out there.

Valuable can have many definitions. Quality cymbals, classic and jazz will increase in dollar value. Everything else is just money happily spent.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say none. But I have a good reason. I think that sometime in the near future ALL music will be made on a machine. No need for instruments. That's just too much work, why learn to play when you can just program? Everything is going that way. Seems easier than learning to play something.

Anyhow at some point I don't think they will be needed and just viewed as old tools. I sincerely hope not
Yes and no. A few years ago I laid down some drum tracks for a mate's project in the studio on a crappy e-kit and recorded it to Pro-tools.

When I asked the studio guy why he doesn't just program the drums from scratch he said it was much easier to have a basic track to work from and fix it in editing rather than program the whole thing (and believe me- the drumming was far from immaculate, just the basics of what he wanted from the song and not even rehearsed).

So I guess the answer is somewhere in the middle- we'll need human drummers to lay down the basic framework and let computers take care of the rest?

Well, In the far future, all acoustic drums and accessories will be valuable since all drums will be electronic and played by androids with perfect tempo, no attitude or lip and be able to play anything perfectly. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Yes and no. A few years ago I laid down some drum tracks for a mate's project in the studio on a crappy e-kit and recorded it to Pro-tools.

When I asked the studio guy why he doesn't just program the drums from scratch he said it was much easier to have a basic track to work from and fix it in editing rather than program the whole thing (and believe me- the drumming was far from immaculate, just the basics of what he wanted from the song and not even rehearsed).

So I guess the answer is somewhere in the middle- we'll need human drummers to lay down the basic framework and let computers take care of the rest?

I did something similar for a local hip-hop producer. I did "play" the part, on a midi controller. No drums at all. Just tapping stuff out with my fingers. He then went in and kept what he liked and shelved everything else for later.

It was weird. I could have just played it and been done.

I’m thinking the high end Jazz Age stuff like Radio Kings and Trans Stamp A. Zildjians. Sounds that aren’t out there today.

As for the computer based stuff taking over the world, I don’t buy it. Can anyone imagine a drum line with rubber electro pads? Yeah, me either.

Pete

I’m thinking the high end Jazz Age stuff like Radio Kings and Trans Stamp A. Zildjians. Sounds that aren’t out there today.

As for the computer based stuff taking over the world, I don’t buy it. Can anyone imagine a drum line with rubber electro pads? Yeah, me either.

Pete

No drum line with rubber pads, more like no drum line. Schools will have DJs instead of marching bands.

I have 11 nieces and nephews. They range in age from 23 - 2. No one is interested in playing anything that can't be done on a machine. One of my nephew's won't even play Guitar Hero or Rockband with the guitar controller because it is too hard. He uses the regular controller.

Millennials are lazy. They have figured out how to use their phones to do everything so they can do as little as possible. Imagine how their kids will be. Eventually the world will be full of people who do everything digitally.

Everything gets replaced by something better. I don't see too many people drilling holes with hand augers anymore. Why bother when a cordless drill is easier? No need to make a shopping list anymore, your fridge can e-mail it to you. Then you get online, give the list to the store and they bring you your groceries. Some will even put them away for you. Think these people are gonna learn to play anything, then get dressed up in a silly uniform and march in formation in the heat/rain/cold? Why would they, that actually requires doing something.

Everything changes, this includes music and the way it is made. It's already happening. Auto-Tune has been around for 21 years. We have been digitizing music since 1982. The end of analoge made music is happening right now. I don't see instruments making it 100 more years.

No drum line with rubber pads, more like no drum line. Schools will have DJs instead of marching bands.

I have 11 nieces and nephews. They range in age from 23 - 2. No one is interested in playing anything that can't be done on a machine. One of my nephew's won't even play Guitar Hero or Rockband with the guitar controller because it is too hard. He uses the regular controller.

Millennials are lazy. They have figured out how to use their phones to do everything so they can do as little as possible. Imagine how their kids will be. Eventually the world will be full of people who do everything digitally.

Everything gets replaced by something better. I don't see too many people drilling holes with hand augers anymore. Why bother when a cordless drill is easier? No need to make a shopping list anymore, your fridge can e-mail it to you. Then you get online, give the list to the store and they bring you your groceries. Some will even put them away for you. Think these people are gonna learn to play anything, then get dressed up in a silly uniform and march in formation in the heat/rain/cold? Why would they, that actually requires doing something.

Everything changes, this includes music and the way it is made. It's already happening. Auto-Tune has been around for 21 years. We have been digitizing music since 1982. The end of analoge made music is happening right now. I don't see instruments making it 100 more years.
When I read this I find myself nodding in agreement. Tech will always move forward. Tech seems like it reached a tipping point where life as we knew it before is giving way to the inevitable next step in evolution. As much as I detest the thought, I think it’s inevitable that humans and man made computer technology will share the same body. Not my body but in a few more generations most likely. Life is moving from real to virtual much too fast for my liking.

Some might laugh, but I think Yamaha Rock Tour drums will eventually go up in value because people will begin to figure out that the Big Leaf Mahogany is from the same family as Honduran Mahogany, which makes them the only true Mahogany drums manufactured in ages. How Yamaha didn't charge more for them or make that a selling point is beyond me. I own a set, and they sound warm and fat - super punchy but with a nice sustain. Here's a handy guide to Mahogany for the naysayers out there Mahnogany Mix Ups

The theme of thread is future value of drums. Collectibility. Nothing to do with acoustic drums as we know them becoming obsolete = they won't be collectible.

People collect all sorts of obsolete things. If acoustic drums become obsolete then they may become VERY collectible, and the more rare and scarce the more collectible. It won't have anything to do with how they sound. It will be scarcity and condition.

When I read this I find myself nodding in agreement. Tech will always move forward. Tech seems like it reached a tipping point where life as we knew it before is giving way to the inevitable next step in evolution. As much as I detest the thought, I think it’s inevitable that humans and man made computer technology will share the same body. Not my body but in a few more generations most likely. Life is moving from real to virtual much too fast for my liking.

The theme of thread is future value of drums. Collectibility. Nothing to do with acoustic drums as we know them becoming obsolete = they won't be collectible.

People collect all sorts of obsolete things. If acoustic drums become obsolete then they may become VERY collectible, and the more rare and scarce the more collectible. It won't have anything to do with how they sound. It will be scarcity and condition.

Value and collectability are not synonymous. I collect dachshund trinkets, coffee mugs, shirts, etc. I even have dachshund tattoos. My collection has no monetary value. Nor do 8tracks, VCRs, corded phones, or the Ford Pinto. All of these things have been replaced by something better. There is no reason to think modern instruments won't suffer the same fate. I sure hope not, but again, when they are replaced by technology that future generations embrace, I don't think they will be worth anything. And that's the gist of the thread: what do you think will be valuable in the future. Again I restate, I don't think any of it will.

Has anyone checked the value of a Loyd Loar signed Mandolin lately? Drums are and always will be a driving force. Hey I think the internet is almost obsolete. go figure!

In my opinion, very little being produced now is going to become collectible. The things that are collectible and valuable now will still be collectible and valuable in 20-30 years, but I don't think it will apply to anything new. There may be a few things that hold value, but I don't see much that will increase, except for maybe a snare drum here or there - something like the Pearl Steve Ferrone signature snare. That's just the way it goes.

When you look at collectible firearms, you're looking at old-school stuff - old Winchester lever guns, old Colt revolvers and early 1911 pistols, old military rifles - that sort of thing. There isn't much from the contemporary era that is increasing in value, with maybe the exception of "older" Colt revolvers that have since become discontinued.

In any case, I think it's going to be the same with drums - those old Rogers, Gretsch, Slingerland and Ludwig drums are still going to be sought after and will be collectible and valuable, but a Pearl Masters will probably retain some value, but still sell for under what was originally paid. Same thing with cymbals - old Zildjians are going to be sought after and valuable, but anything else will just be an old cymbal.

I have a 1983/84 Sabian AA Rock Ride - it's got the old original logo, and very basic stamping on the underside, but to my knowledge it's not particularly valuable for any reason - I play it because I like how it sounds.

I have a Sabian limited edition Jimmy Degrasso signature model ride. Only 200 produced. I would imagine something of limited number becoming valuable.

I bought it because it meets all my needs for a dedicated rock ride. Can't imagine selling it.

Back