What does it mean to play breakdowns?

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
I saw this ad on Craigslist and wondered what playing breakdowns means. In the 30 years I've been playing I don't recall that term.

Hey guys my band Unspoken Lies need a drummer. We are going at a rapid rate and are about to go record as CD in December. We need a drummer that can use a double bass and can play breakdowns. We have alot of fun but are very dedicated. look us up at.

M

mediocrefunkybeat

Usually a 'middle eight' section of a piece in half-time involving lots of cymbal play.

Effective sometimes but terribly overwrought in most cases.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
A breakdown can also mean a deliberately quieter section where the band vamps, like over a solo, or a spoken section. Typically the drummer does a snare smack on the first "1" of that section to help define it (actually an attention getter.)

Bermuda

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Yea like Duncan says. It's a part of the song that "breaks down" to just the rhythmic aspect of the tune, for a little while.

zakhopper316

Silver Member
In this case I'm 99% sure he's talking bout a hardcore breakdown which goes to a cut time double bass heavy section with a lot of chugging guitar parts and vocals that are just straight screams.

shadowlorde

just hit a china cymbal as hard as you physically can playing quarter notes at about 1bpm .. but first you have to steal your underage sister's jeans and get a flock of seagulls hair cut and dye it black

kettles

Gold Member
Step 1: Hit the '0' and '-' keys on your keyboard randomly, like this 00---0---00--0--0-----0000--0----0----00-0-0-0--00-0-0-0

Step 2: Play that as palm-muted 32nd notes at around 50bpm, on a drop tuned guitar.

Step 3: Get the rest of the band to do the same

Step 4: Enjoy your new extreme breakdown

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
So this is what Tom Petty was singing about?

It's alright if you love me
It's alright if you don't
I'm not afraid of you runnin' away
Honey, I get the feelin' you won't

There is no sense in pretendin'
Your eyes give you give away
Something inside you is feelin' like I do
We've said all there is to say

Baby, breakdown, go ahead give it to me
Breakdown, honey take me through the night
Breakdown, I'm standing here, can you see?
Breakdown, it's all right
It's all right
It's all right

Breakdown, go ahead give it to me
Breakdown, honey take me through the night
Breakdown, I'm standing here, can you see?
Breakdown, it's all right
It's all right