What does a Ludwig Monroe Badge mean?

Drumdame

Silver Member
I don't know much about badges but I know that Ludwig has a line of different bages. I was just wondering if someone knew what a Monroe badge meant? Screenshot_20221129_185944_Messenger.jpg

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
It typically refers to the flat (unembossed) badge with the screened logo as shown. But that style was actually issued during the company's final year or so in Chicago, so there are badges that look like that but say Chicago on them. I think the factory moved to Monroe in late November, 1984.

At some point about 10+ years ago, Ludwig went back to the old-style smaller keystone badge, and then to a cast badge. But they've also offered different badges for different series. It's a little confusing, but they're not the only ones who do that.

Drumdame

Silver Member
It typically refers to the flat (unembossed) badge with the screened logo as shown. But that style was actually issued during the company's final year or so in Chicago, so there are badges that look like that but say Chicago on them. I think the factory moved to Monroe in late November, 1984.

At some point about 10+ years ago, Ludwig went back to the old-style smaller keystone badge, and then to a cast badge. But they've also offered different badges for different series. It's a little confusing, but they're not the only ones who do that.
I'm Interested in buying the Superphonic snare lm400 5x14 and that was the badge that was on that so I was wondering if it's going to sound as good as if I had bought it brand new?

Thanks Bermuda

harryconway

Platinum Member
I'm Interested in buying the Superphonic snare lm400 5x14 and that was the badge that was on that so I was wondering if it's going to sound as good as if I had bought it brand new?
I've got a 14x5 Supra with a Monroe era badge. It'll sound fine.

Last edited:

Tiges

Silver Member

Thanks Bermuda
That's a nice snare I have the Supraphonic 402 that's a killer snare I'm sure the 400 will match it in a quality cracker snare Cheers.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Should sound the same and you'll save some money. :)

jaymandude

Those are still Reliant ( Reliance?) shells ? Those drums sound great, tho it’s weird to see the collar of the head cover the top of the badge.

Sorry to hijack. When was the change in shell suppliers ?

Drumdame

Silver Member
Those are still Reliant ( Reliance?) shells ? Those drums sound great, tho it’s weird to see the collar of the head cover the top of the badge.

Sorry to hijack. When was the change in shell suppliers ?
Well I hope I didn't make a mistake because I just purchased this... he accepted my offer of $300. It's a 2011 in pristine condition just the head has been replaced. Screenshot_20221130_094231_Outlook.jpgScreenshot_20221130_094334_Outlook.jpgScreenshot_20221130_094454_Outlook.jpgScreenshot_20221130_094350_Outlook.jpg

Drumdame

Silver Member
Now that I purchased it I am just wondering what head would sound the best for this snare? I believe he said it was an emperor that's on it.Screenshot_20221130_094523_Outlook.jpg

harryconway

Platinum Member
Well I hope I didn't make a mistake because I just purchased this... he accepted my offer of $300. It's a 2011 in pristine condition just the head has been replaced.
Considering they go for $500+ new, not a bad price.
Now that I purchased it I am just wondering what head would sound the best for this snare? I believe he said it was an emperor that's on it.
I've got an Ambassador on mine, but preferred head choice is totally individual. I tend to use single ply heads, on my snares. Remo Ambassador & Controlled Sound Coated Reverse dot ..... and from Evans, the Genera Dry and HD Dry. My "usual" suspects.;)

Juniper

Gold Member
I have a vintage ambassador on mine and it sounds great, however like others have said it’s just a personal choice.

22CD0BB8-C81A-4EED-AB4B-F7B34E276256.jpeg

Great drum, congrats on the purchase. Enjoy it!

Drumdame

Silver Member
I have a vintage ambassador on mine and it sounds great, however like others have said it’s just a personal choice.

Great drum, congrats on the purchase. Enjoy it!
Thanx Drum Buddy!

Tiges

Silver Member
I'd put a Remo Amsdor coated on it the Remo Emperor fell to soft to me saying that they are both great heads for snare drums it comes down to personal choice good luck on that one.

Drumdame

Silver Member
I'd put a Remo Amsdor coated on it the Remo Emperor fell to soft to me saying that they are both great heads for snare drums it comes down to personal choice good luck on that one.
Ty Tiges

Drumdame

Silver Member
What is the difference in sound between the LM 400 and the LM 402 supraphonic snare?

JimmyM

Platinum Member
What is the difference in sound between the LM 400 and the LM 402 supraphonic snare?
400 is a little less on the low end and ring and the 402 is a little more ringy. I love both, though.

jda

Gold Member
depth
tone depth
sometimes you want it
sometimes you don't
5"/ 6.5"