What do you want from the internet?

robertondrums

Hey everyone.

Personaly I'm fed up of looking all over the internet for drum lessons and drumming info. It seems that no matter were you look there just isn't anything out there that has expert or advanced material worth looking at. Even if you do stumble across something then, unless your willing to fork out a load of money on subscriptions or DVDs, it is generally off limits. Every website I have ever come across offers very little material for free and usually that material is all beginners stuff. The rest you have to pay for or sign up to and even then you don't get what your looking for. It seems that you can type the words "guitar lessons" into the search engine and boom hundreds of options for advanced guitar lessons appear and a good number of them are free.

So, with regard to online drum tuition, what would you personally like to see published on the internet? Would you want to see a website that provides free drum tuition even up to expert and advanced material? A website where you can suggest or request a lesson on a suject that your having difficulty with? An enthusiastic website that is geared around helping you learn the drums to a good level rather than making money from you?

What are your opinions?

Robertondrums

Wavelength

Platinum Member
The way I see it, the internet is filled to the brim with free musical information, all the way from beginner stuff to as advanced as you can imagine. You want to learn Brazilian music? Google up "Brazilian music", or "samba", or "choro", or "bossa nova" etc... Do the same thing on YouTube, and you get dozens of video examples of the style. The same applies to any style you can think of. Do the work and you'll learn. If you have any specific questions, pay this forum a visit and you'll get all the help you'll need.

If you need a qualified teacher to figuratively hold your hand and guide you through the works, you'll just need to cough up the cash. If you can't figure out things on your own, take lessons with an actual teacher until you can. I've done it and many others have done it... and while I'm quite capable of picking things up on my own, I'm still taking lessons from a professional who gets paid for his work. Why on earth should an expert donate his expertise for free, when he's spent countless hours developing his craft?

rockitman

I totally agree with Wave on this. The internet is an awesome resource for all kinds of playing. I personally have sourced hours of lessons from beginner to advanced. Some I use in my lesson plans and other stuff I keep for myself.
The thing about wanting something for free is a slippery slope. Once you find it, you still have to put in the hours. Going foreward, know that even an advanced player can get alot from a beginner lesson. Take nothing for granted.

Here is a site that I enjoy.

www.drummingweb.com

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I have learned more in the last 2 years on this site and the web than I did in 5 years of band and orchestra in school with a teacher. There are plenty of people on this site that teach, play for a living or have done one or the other in the past. I'm not sure where you have been looking but I would say, look harder. Youtube has plenty of lessons or examples of playing styles if you look deep enough and there are a ton of videos by the working pros for sale by Hudson Music. They are indexed on the Home page of this website. Look deeper.

jonescrusher

Pioneer Member
You speak as though you've come to expect that the internet will provide you with outstanding material on anything you desire free of charge. Professionals quite rightly use the internet as a source of income and will promote their craft with freebies. Nothing wrong with getting paid - stop whinging and cough up!

robertondrums

Hey guys thanks for your comments. But please don't take me wrong I am not complaining that there arn't any free sites I understand that people want and need to be paid for there time and energy. I certainly do. However I was just asking for your oppinion. Like if it were possible to have such a website with free info on it, would you be interested in seeing such a website? Would it be something you would vistit to check out? I'm only interested in getting your oppinion. I am most definatly not complaining. In fact the way I learn is by searching the net and watching dvd's over and over. It's the best way to learn. And I am more than happy to pay for such info.

So, would you be interested in such a site if it were possible?

Thanks

Robertondrums

Bernhard

Founder Drummerworld
Staff member
I'm a little bit dissapointed that nobody mentioned our own Drumclinic Section.

It's all here...much work went into it - some good material if not the very best from Dennis Chambers, Steve Gadd, Peter Erskine and and and....
No youtube crap. Giving work for a decade...and of course, we try to improve...

http://www.drummerworld.com/drumclinic.html

but if it doesn't make sense, ok...

Bernhard

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
To answer your question, yes we would like to see a free site with everything we ever wanted to know. Who wouldn't?

BrutalKid

Hey guys thanks for your comments. But please don't take me wrong I am not complaining that there arn't any free sites I understand that people want and need to be paid for there time and energy. I certainly do. However I was just asking for your oppinion. Like if it were possible to have such a website with free info on it, would you be interested in seeing such a website? Would it be something you would vistit to check out? I'm only interested in getting your oppinion. I am most definatly not complaining. In fact the way I learn is by searching the net and watching dvd's over and over. It's the best way to learn. And I am more than happy to pay for such info.

So, would you be interested in such a site if it were possible?

Thanks

Robertondrums
Youtube!

there thousands of drumming videos there
and it's 100% free!

Also you can go to drummingweb.com, vic firth's website, which I always visit for drumming lessons.

The last website is called

drummerworld. The one you are visiting!

B

Big_Philly

You're not looking hard enough.

www.mikeslessons.com

If you want a few samples, search for "drumteacher76" on youtube.
He doesn't usually put his advanced videos out on the tube though.
I was about to suggest the same guy. His free stuff is quite informative, and the rest isn't very expensive. But being the cheapskate that I am I only watch the free stuff.