What do you use for snare straps?

topgun2021

Gold Member
I have been using Christmas bow felt type things instead of the plastic straps that cam with my snare. The downside is after a while, it stretches out and becomes so smooth, I can not clamp it down.

What do you use?

Fuzrock

Silver Member
Grosgrain ribbon from your local arts and craft store works great. It's cheap, extremely durable and you get to choose from a variety of colors and designs to suit your own personnel taste. I've been using grosgrain ribbon for about four years now without issue.

String is my preference such as is supplied with every set of Puresound snare wires. I prefer string to tape because it is easier to get even tension on the snares.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
For the last couple years I have used the Blue PureSound wire.
I just got a couple sets of Custom 20 wires with the new strap and clip design. I really like it.
I'm going to check out some of that Ribbon.

BradGunnerSGT

Silver Member
For the last couple years I have used the Blue PureSound wire.
I just got a couple sets of Custom 20 wires with the new strap and clip design. I really like it.
I'm going to check out some of that Ribbon.
I love that strap and cotter pin design on the PureSound wires. Really the best and it allows for quick changes if you need to replace the wires.

thunderstruck

Silver Member
Grosgrain ribbon from your local arts and craft store works great. It's cheap, extremely durable and you get to choose from a variety of colors and designs to suit your own personnel taste. I've been using grosgrain ribbon for about four years now without issue.
Second that notion. I switched to grosgrain ribbon over the summer.

uniin

Gold Member
i really liked using the ribbon like/felt type strips that came with my starclassic drum. i'm trying out those "wire" type ones with a new set of snare wires i got. they're definitely a bit more harder to setup (snare wires can be pulled too much to one side for example.)

daredrummer

Gold Member
I use the blue puresound strings.

I like D.I.Y ideas most of the time, but I fail to see the point in this case. Why buy grosgrain ribbon when it really has no advantages over the normal straps and wires that are actually made for the snare. I don't see how price is a issue here, because as far as I know snare straps don't really wear out. I have used the same puresound blue cord for 5 years.

topgun2021

Gold Member

I like D.I.Y ideas most of the time, but I fail to see the point in this case. Why buy grosgrain ribbon when it really has no advantages over the normal straps and wires that are actually made for the snare. I don't see how price is a issue here, because as far as I know snare straps don't really wear out. I have used the same puresound blue cord for 5 years.
I blame Bob Gatzen for the idea of getting rid of the stock straps.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I used to cut a single ply head for a snare strap for ages, but after hearing the drum with the Blue Puresound wire, I hated the way it sounded with the strap and couldn't use them anymore.

I could really hear the difference compared to string or wire.
I even bought a roll of that Blue wire so I'd "never" run out if they stopped making it.

The Puresound strap and pin thing is the first different method I've used in years, & it does not have the same effect as plastic straps at all.

I'll probably look into that ribbon though, because it really cheap for a roll. I have fabric shops near my house too, so it's no big deal to look at some.

Only 3 of my (12) snares have the PS wires with the ribbon strap/pin thing.
Those are my gigging snares.
I really like the PS wires, but at 20 bucks a pop, I'm not doing all my snares with a new wire set up!

The plastic strips "made" for snares is just cheap-o thin plastic cut to size. They started using it because it was cheap to offer and it didn't break like string. It wasn't "developed" for snare drum use at all.
The strap PS uses WAS made specifically for it's use, and the pin was a good idea--even though cotter pins have been around for eons.

Fuzrock

Silver Member

For me the ribbon does have a couple of advantages over the plastic straps. Plastic straps tend to get bent into a shape and stay that way. This can make things more difficult then they have to be when changing the bottom head, especially if you didn't quite like how the snares were tensioned the last time around. The grosgrain ribbon doesn't do that which makes it easier to make minute adjustments when reattaching the snares to the drum. Also, I've had the the issue when playing drums while wearing shorts and my leg kept rubbing up against the corner of one of those plastic straps. I found that to be incredibly annoying, distracting and mildly painful. Grosgrain ribbon solved that issue for me as well. BTW, some snares come stock with grosgrain ribbon. One that comes to mind is Ludwig's "The Chief" snare drum.

TTNW

Pioneer Member
I use specially spun ligaments harvested from freshly caught baby seals. I coat them in hydrolized American Eagle bone marrow. Only the best for me, since I am a politically correct drummer.

Er.. .. really I use the blue Puresound cord.

I do like the old drum head strip idea. Very clever.

S

sticks4drums

What ever comes with my snare. But I might switch to what TTNW is using.