What do you like, the fyberskin or the smoothwhite

mikei

Gold Member
Hello,

Here are 2 small clips. You can hear the dog singing in the background.

One with the fyberskin reso and one with the smooth white reso on my 26 x 18 cannon.

Let me know what you think sounds better.

Mic position is identical.

My dog kept barking so it threw me off, but in hindsight it is kind of funny!

My playing is much better in the fyberskin clip. The dog really threw me off with the smooth white.

Attachments

• Fyberskin.mp3
    977.3 KB · Views: 270
  • SmoothWhite.mp3
    1 MB · Views: 355
Mikei! Hey, I liked them both as well...you now have a little more versatility for that cannon...boom boom boom

smooth white. I like that boomier sound over a punchy sound.

But that dog was doing some crrrraaaazzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyy polyrhythms over your groove in fyberskin.

this seems like the place to ask this question...
does anyone know if fiberskin ambassadors are good for jazz blues and funk playing?
because i think my coated ambassadors are a bit too ringy for me, but will the fiberskins be too dead??
thanks up front, Bryan

I currently have Fiberskyn 3 on my set and have to say I don't hear any difference between them and the G2's I had on previously. And for the price I will go back to G2's when these are finished.

The smooth white sounded better with the groove you were playing.

Hello,

Here are 2 small clips. You can hear the dog singing in the background.

One with the fyberskin reso and one with the smooth white reso on my 26 x 18 cannon.

Let me know what you think sounds better.

Mic position is identical.

My dog kept barking so it threw me off, but in hindsight it is kind of funny!

My playing is much better in the fyberskin clip. The dog really threw me off with the smooth white.
I use a Ludwig HEAVY Smooth White almost all the time as a reso.

But on my Ludwig Vintage WMP 28in kick I use a Fiberskin for the reso. Almost a pseudo calfskin thing as it's a very slow reacting head. Sounds GREAT on the 28.

this seems like the place to ask this question...
does anyone know if fiberskin ambassadors are good for jazz blues and funk playing?
because i think my coated ambassadors are a bit too ringy for me, but will the fiberskins be too dead??
thanks up front, Bryan

In my humble opinion. . .Fiberskyns are good for jazz; I use one for the batter head of my 18 inch bass drum, and it's even warmer sounding than an Ambassador. The only disadvantage that I know of is that the top layer of Mylar will start to flake off after awhile, especially if used for a batter head on the toms and snare.

I'd say i will go with the fiberskyns, i'm not an expert at tuning though!....ah well, i might as well try it, if it does'nt work then atleast i know not to get that type of head again
but it seems to be getting good reviews!

Back