What do lyrics mean to you?

I mostly listen to jazz, so lyrics have never been a big part of the listening experience. I am however in a covers band. When we play I use certain lyrics as markers for changes in the song especially as the vocalist has the habit of coming in too early/late in the heat of the moment so I just can't count bars to know where we are in a song. After a long rehearsal recently, for some reason we were going over 'sunshine of your love', not a challenging song for my part so I mentally switched off and started to focus on what was actually being sung. Afterwards I asked the vocalist how much he was embarrassed to be singing such utter tripe! If I wrote a song like that and presented the lyrics to my wife and said 'what do you think', I think it would be some time before she stopped laughing (although I wouldn't mind writing a song that become that famous admittedly!).
We do a lot of oldies (songs that is!), and if I were the vocalist I'd be embarrassed by what I had to sing. I remember, vaguely, in a documentary (or an article, it's a bit vague), a vocalist in a famous band saying the hardest thing about recording a new album was writing the lyrics as he had nothing of importance he wanted to impart to the listeners but it could hardly be an instrumental.
The whole thing makes me glad I don't have to listen to such gibberish when I put on jazz (I'm sure some people would think the opposite!).
I don't understand the point about your opinion on what your wife's opinion might be. Is she an A&R rep or is she just who you would personally write the song for? Consider that the song is still earning you money when you play it for others. Someone was sharp enough to decide that 50 years later people would still be paying to hear that song. Not everyone can do that.

A highly trained guitar player said to me of certain Jazz music, that he isn't interested in hearing what sounds like 4 guys being pushed down the stairs with their instruments.

A highly trained guitar player said to me of certain Jazz music, that he isn't interested in hearing what sounds like 4 guys being pushed down the stairs with their ininstruments
Well there ya have it. Hes highly trained so we should all agree then.

A highly trained guitar player said to me of certain Jazz music, that he isn't interested in hearing what sounds like 4 guys being pushed down the stairs with their instruments.
Ah, 4 guys being pushed down the stairs.... literally my favourite genre. Only bettered by 5 guys being pushed down the stairs!

I don't understand the point about your opinion on what your wife's opinion might be. Is she an A&R rep or is she just who you would personally write the song for? Consider that the song is still earning you money when you play it for others. Someone was sharp enough to decide that 50 years later people would still be paying to hear that song. Not everyone can do that.
My point is quite simple, from a normal, non A&R, perspective the lyrics are quite frankly embarrassing, and I would be embarrassed to write something like that. I'm not sure if they expected it to still be played 50 years later but sure as hell I'm obviously not capable of writing something similar. And whatever view you take about how 'sharp' anyone was at the time they wrote it, it's still a bit cringy!

Even with an otherwise deep appreciation for words, lyrics for me are usually just another instrument, a vehicle for the vocalist's pipes. It doesn't have to be Shakespeare for me to enjoy a song, either.

My point is quite simple, from a normal, non A&R, perspective the lyrics are quite frankly embarrassing, and I would be embarrassed to write something like that. I'm not sure if they expected it to still be played 50 years later but sure as hell I'm obviously not capable of writing something similar. And whatever view you take about how 'sharp' anyone was at the time they wrote it, it's still a bit cringy!

I think Sammy Hagar said about Bad Motor Scooter that he was sheepish about presenting it to Ronnie Montrose as being too juvenile in content but the song stood on it's own as recorded. They smoke it, it fit the album and that album is sometimes called biblically influential.

How much I like a song is always based around the lyrics and melody and how they convey the feeling & vibe of the song. The music could be great, but if the lyrics are empty, then 99.9% of the time, it's not gonna make to the second listen. Just like a good drummer can make a marginal band sound good & vice versa, the same applies to lyrics with me. I've never had an instrumental put a tear in my eye.

Can anyone imagine Billy Joel's music without lyrics. Don McLean?

Sammy Hagar's's lyrics are frequently cheesy. He diminishes some of the Chickenfoot music.

Apparently, Billy Joel can. :)

I actually stumbled across that on TV at the time, and the bit about how you've always got friends who tell you you're singing the wrong words, and you think, "I like mine better" has always stuck with me.
I'll check it out.
Songs like Always a Woman To Me are beautiful without lyrics, and better with.

I think his "You're My Home" is one of the loveliest love songs ever written. (With the exception of one crazy cringey line, but that's Billy for you.)
Omg, ok. Well I watched it, the previous clip you mentioned. And I'm also not surprised. Cringeworthy. Lol.

How much I like a song is always based around the lyrics and melody and how they convey the feeling & vibe of the song. The music could be great, but if the lyrics are empty, then 99.9% of the time, it's not gonna make to the second listen. Just like a good drummer can make a marginal band sound good & vice versa, the same applies to lyrics with me. I've never had an instrumental put a tear in my eye.
I have. Most of the greatest classical music is instrumental, for one.

I have. Most of the greatest classical music is instrumental, for one.
Absolutely. A bunch of Shostakovich's 24 Preludes and Fugues, or the swan motif in the third movement of the Sibelius Fifth can get me almost every time.

This has also gotten me several times, although I suppose the fact that I know (and love) the lyrics could very well have something to do with that.

Back