What discontinued cymbals/gear would you love to get your hands on, or put back into production?

MikeM

Platinum Member
Anyone remember Dead Ringers? My toms had them briefly back in the early '80s. Not sure I'd be too excited about their return, though. lol

alparrott

Platinum Member
I had my eyes on a brand new shell bank of Recording Customs in the reissued antique sunburst finish for a retirement gift. Then Sakae split off and Yamaha stopped making them. I may still get a set, but they'll likely be pieced together used drums... sigh.

Road Bull

Silver Member
Tama Artstars

Artstars and Granstars are some of, if not the best looking drums Tama ever made IMHO. They had a distinct look with those triangular lugs, and they sound GREAT. Just got done playing my Granstars. My Artstar Customs in British Racing Green is sitting upstairs bagged up. I feel that most current Tama lugs look fairly generic now with a few exceptions.

jornthedrummer

Silver Member
Pro-Mark 5AL, Ringo signature model drum sticks. Discontinues since he went to that other company. Would love to track some down. I wrote to pro-Mark wondering if and are lying about some warehouse somewhere
That was my stick too. Try Promark"s American Hickory Select Balance RBH550TW.
They are great too.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
thanks for the suggestion, Jorn

I just watched a ProMark video on the website and can it be that the President of D'Addario (Evans, ProMark, et.al.) is really Rick Drumm. wow

KamaK

Platinum Member
I'm gonna stick to my guns.

Ludwig needs to bring back the Goldtone cowbell(s). Iconic sound, unique aesthetic, vintage swag, etc.

Sabian APX 24" Ride

They're hard to come by, and I tried one in America before. It was amazing. However my suitcase couldn't hold a cymbal that size :'(

I think there may be a few lying around the Internet somewhere, but I'll stick with my AA Bash Ride and, should it break, I'll probably get a 24" Paiste Giant beat.

Yoshinya

Pro-Mark 5AL, Ringo signature model drum sticks. Discontinues since he went to that other company. Would love to track some down. I wrote to pro-Mark wondering if and are lying about some warehouse somewhere
Seafroggys is right. They were a normal model before they were Ringo's model, and they're still available (without the Ringo signature). Not a popular model anymore, but they're still available. You'll probably have to special order them through a dealer.
http://www.promark.com/pmProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3917&productid=9&productname=Hickory_5AL_Wood_Tip&sid=d65fac76-bdbc-4142-a3d2-fb0e0e0ace22

Last edited:

Juniper

Gold Member
18" Sabian Hand Hammered Rock Crash

I know they do it over other lines (I think both AA and AAX) but I love this cymbal.

If mine ever breaks on me I'll be gutted. I'd actually buy a spare if I could afford it.

G

Ghostnote

24" Giant Beat Ride
22" 2002 Medium
22" Giant Beat Multi
18" 2002 Heavy Crash (to be used as bottom hat)

Last edited:

Fresh

I would love to get my hands on a good 21 or 22" Paiste Signature Dry Heavy Ride.

They seem to vary a lot in sound from cymbal to cymbal, so I wish they would put them back into production and give me a bunch to choose from.

octatonic

I'd dearly like to get a couple more rack toms for my Gretsch Renown in DIGS.
I can order them from Gretsch but they cost as much as a new kit

chris J

I used one of these until recently, got it in a batter and reso twin pack for £20 un-used I was well chuffed! The old EQ1 heads were my favourite batter heads for BD. I still use an old Evans Genera as my reso head for my 24x20 nice for that Keith Carlock sound. If I want a dead sound I have an old Blue Hydraulic Head, again I acquired them all unplayed in a batch for next to nothing.
I agree WRT Evans EQ1
Evans, please bring back the frosted EQ1 batter!

I wish Zildjian still made the Constantinople line the way they did when they were first introduced

wildbill

Platinum Member
Sabian APX 24" Ride

They're hard to come by, and I tried one in America before. It was amazing. However my suitcase couldn't hold a cymbal that size :'(

I think there may be a few lying around the Internet somewhere, but I'll stick with my AA Bash Ride and, should it break, I'll probably get a 24" Paiste Giant beat.

A remarkable cymbal. I liked the APX 24 enough, and the price was so good, I went back and got a second one.

Talked to a Sabian rep. recently, and he said that Sabian never really discontinues a cymbal.
If they made it in the past, they will make one for you upon request.

But like you say, there are other 24's that may work well for you too.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
The recently discontinued Club Customs. I just got a snare and would love to have a cute little 10, 14, 20 of them for small acoustic stuff. This is probably another Sakae/Yamaha thing being so new, Steve Jordan's favourites and all.

I'm not buying anything more now, though. I'm selling off stuff like never before and cutting down on every indulgance until I have that USA Custom shellpack I want.

Still. A cutsie little Club Custom with wood hoops would be cherished and put to good use.