What determines the color of a cymbal?

LM201

I don't know if this has been posted but I'm just wondering.

All I know is that brass has a yellow tint and B8 cymbals are different colors than B20 but why aren't all B20 cymbals the same color? The same with B8 cymbals?

I have a 24" Paiste Giant Beat that is B8 alloy and it's brown. But at the same time I have a 20" Giant Beat that has a greenish tint to it while all of the other Giant Beats I've seen are brown.
And while the 2oo2s are still B8, they are more orange than brown.

I know this is a stupid question but it won't get off my mind.

Thanks to all who answer

Last edited:

zambizzi

Platinum Member
The ratio of copper to tin would be the first element. Second would be any additives, finishing, oxidation, or whatever else the cymbal maker does to alter its composition. Paiste puts a lacquer finish on their cymbals (like many others do) and that is where you get the unusual colors. I'm sure there are others here much more well educated on the subject who can explain further.

Steamer

Platinum Member
The purity of the B20 bronze, the treatment to the surface, patina processes to the metal, lathing and hammering, unlathed cymbals, coated or uncoated B20 bronze etc..

These are all factors to the various looks and appearence of B20 bronze cymbals

LM201

The purity of the B20 bronze, the treatment to the surface, patina processes to the metal, lathing and hammering, unlathed cymbals, coated or uncoated B20 bronze etc..

These are all factors to the various looks and appearence of B20 bronze cymbals
So I'm guessing that goes for B8 cymbals too right?

razorx

Platinum Member
Hmm i didn't know that them being lathed had anything to do with it. I play both series.

Steamer

Platinum Member
Unlathed hand hammered B20 bronze top and bottom followed by a lathed and hand hammered B20 bronze pie top and bottom.

They say pictures speak louder than words and these 2 sets of visual examples sure show the diference in color and appearence of two ride cymbals cast from the EXACT SAME Turkish B20 alloy but finished {with the oven crust surface on both sides still intact with the Turk} in different ways :

Attachments

cactus_farmer

The ratio of copper to tin would be the first element. Second would be any additives, finishing, oxidation, or whatever else the cymbal maker does to alter its composition. Paiste puts a lacquer finish on their cymbals (like many others do) and that is where you get the unusual colors. I'm sure there are others here much more well educated on the subject who can explain further.
Do you know if Meinl Byzance cymbals also have a protective spray coating put on them?