What cowbell are you using?

GaryCost

I have an old LP #229 'Mambo' cowbell, that isn't bad, but I'm thinking about getting a different one. Does anyone have any favorites or recommendations for my next one? Also, what do you think of those bells that have the red or yellow plastic strip on the top? Thanks

I used to use a Mambo cowbell as well, but it proved to be unsuited for rock playing. After a couple of gigs, it was essentially hammered flat :)

I use the red Ridge Rider now (yes, one of the ones with the plastic strip). Great, clunky and loud cowbell for rock riding, but would probably be completely useless for an actual percussionist or for latin playing.

I use the LP Mambo and Black Beauty. You must have the Black Beauty (or small Ludwig equivalent) if you're playing Honky Tonk Woman.

You must have the Black Beauty (or small Ludwig equivalent) if you're playing Honky Tonk Woman.

Wait. Wasn't HTW played on that copper Ludwig cowbell with the chrome handle?

I had one of those Ludwig bells and I thought it sounded identical to HTW.

Bo, what's the Black Beauty? An LP offering?

Back OT, I use 2 cowbs. I call em cowbs when referring to more than one. :p

I have a big Mambo bell from the 80's that's one of the oldest things I own. Maammm-bo. Love saying that word!

I also have a smaller version of that bell, not sure what what it's name is. It's a lot newer, like from 2005.

The small bell is just about a perfect octave above the larger bell, so they work well together. I actually took the big bell to the store to try and find a small bell that worked well with it, when I realized I needed a higher bell on the gig kit. I got lucky, the first one I tried was perfect. DONE!

I use a 60's era 5" Ludwig "GoldTone". They also made a shorter (3" ?) version, which I think Bermuda uses. You can find them on eBay for $50-150.

They're brass anodized, and look like a cymbal, which is kind of swanky.

attachment.php

Using the Ludwig 4" (roughly an E) and I also have the 5" (C#-D.) I believe Paiste made those for them? They're perfect for authentically playing most '60s music, as there weren't a zillion cowbells available then. Ludwig, Slingerland, Rogers and Gretsch each offered a cowbell or two, with Ludwig's probably being the most popular. You had to search far and wide back in the day to find genuine ethnic cowbells, or any real variety. Not sure how Spike Jones was able to do what he did... :)

Bermuda

I use the LP Mambo and Black Beauty. You must have the Black Beauty (or small Ludwig equivalent) if you're playing Honky Tonk Woman.

I have a black beauty too, indeed it was sold to me as "the only one you really need".
I must say though the welds are butt ugly. My mum can weld better than that.
LP will probably say they were specifically engineered to get that Sound.

Have the LP Ridge Rider with the yellow plastic bar. Really don't like it, dead sounding. Would love to have that Ludwig Goldtone like Kamak has. Is it the "Good times, bad times" bell? That is a great cowbell sound IMO. The one Steve Gadd uses is also a fav, don't know which one that is though.

LP Ridge rider (Red)
LP Ridge Rider (Yellow)
LP Black Beauty
LP Mambo

Still using my old Zil-Bel cowbell.

I use the LP Rock cowbell. It's the same cowbell as the Ridge Rider, without the ridge, which in my opinion deadens the sound too much. The Rock cowbell works great in any rock setting, it's got some "meat" to it, and isn't piercing.
I also have an LP Black Beauty. It will work in any setting. Brighter and more "latin'ish" than the Rock, but not harsh in any way.

the little LP Black Beauty, this is my current favourite
the big LP Black Beauty, another perennial favourite, they both have a piece of Moongel in them to dampen them a bit

and a metaliic LP Samba cowbell I bought in a moment of weakness.

I believe Paiste made those for them? They're perfect for authentically playing most '60s music, as there weren't a zillion cowbells available then.

Indeed. I had read the Paiste thing on the net from three different sources but didn't know whether to believe it. My hunch is that Ludwig leveraged Paiste for manufacturing, but that the cowbell was a 1920's Ludwig design, and that the anodization was the only real difference.

Ludwig's 1920's offering:
izcWUb1.jpg

0PALy40.jpg

You can see the mechanical and design similarities.

Back