What can I use to mod/upgrade speed cobra 910 doubles for a direct drive

Tattoografitti

Have double speed cobra 910 and absolutely love them but have never played direct drives and would like a DD conversion setup to try them out but also to have on hand for different setups. Acd doesn’t currently have any but I’ve seen few threads online about people having them and /or modded others to fit 910. Plz any help would be greatly appreciated. Don’t want to have to spend another $700 to try out a diff drive system

From the video description: "I do not recommend this mod if you are not proficient in double bass drumming. It will only really facilitate accuracy in extremely fast playing and only after a lot of practice with it.
I would highly recommend upgrading a standard u-joint drive shaft to a Trick Drums bearing drive shaft over a direct drive conversion. Both cost the same and in my experience it will have a more noticeable and better improvement to any double pedal than a direct drive conversion ever will. "

Last edited:
Hey thanks for
While not a DD conversion, you should think about getting a Trick drive shaft to help out the slave pedal.
I've never heard of people converting their speed cobra to DD, but then again I've never had a need to research it because I use Axis pedals.
Hey thanks for input. Def will look into that. Love the speed 910 but never played DD. Thought about Kevlar strap upgrade but seems pointless if eventually switching to DD. LOVE the axis and thought about getting pair. Saw guy take demonator DD conversion to speed cobra but not sure exactly of specs and just wanted more info

Hey thanks for

Hey thanks for input. Def will look into that. Love the speed 910 but never played DD. Thought about Kevlar strap upgrade but seems pointless if eventually switching to DD. LOVE the axis and thought about getting pair. Saw guy take demonator DD conversion to speed cobra but not sure exactly of specs and just wanted more info
I have noticed slight lag in slave shaft even with tension tuned to highest for pressure swivel, so that’s awesome suggestion. Really appreciate it

A strap will not make it “faster” just a slight bit different. I converted a 310 and barely noticed a response difference.

I have noticed slight lag in slave shaft even with tension tuned to highest for pressure swivel, so that’s awesome suggestion. Really appreciate it
The Trick shaft is fantastic. There is 0 lag in the joints. And if for some reason they do wear out, you can rebuild them. Depending on how fast you wanna go it's almost a necessary upgrade. Especially if you want to do heel/toe. Any lag at all in the shaft and the slave side* wont heel/toe at all.

*Are we allowed to refer to the pedals as master and slave still? If not, what? Leader and follower? Main and secondary? One and two?

The Trick shaft is fantastic. There is 0 lag in the joints. And if for some reason they do wear out, you can rebuild them. Depending on how fast you wanna go it's almost a necessary upgrade. Especially if you want to do heel/toe. Any lag at all in the shaft and the slave side* wont heel/toe at all.

*Are we allowed to refer to the pedals as master and slave still? If not, what? Leader and follower? Main and secondary? One and two?
Awesome feedback thank you very much. With everybody’s input I’m totally buying trick shaft tomorrow. Lol. And I agree, how about we say PRIMARY, and SECONDARY. THIS IS 2021 amd we should be more cogent of others feelings. I like ur awareness

You may be able to slightly modify these to fit Tama:

Conversely, you may be able to retrofit the parts from a Tama dynasync pedal. I'm sure an authorized dealer or Tama directly could help source those parts.
Thanks for ur reply and input it’s very much appreciated. I see the offset conversion all the time and always wonder. Absolutely love my 910 speeds and the case as well. Adjustability and tho others don’t like it, I love the idea of cobra coil which is what drew me to 910 in first place. This is why I want to convert. But after everyone’s suggestions I’m seriously thing of going with pair of TRICK doubles or AXIS. Seems like that’s what serious drummers prefer unless they’re sponsored

Awesome feedback thank you very much. With everybody’s input I’m totally buying trick shaft tomorrow. Lol. And I agree, how about we say PRIMARY, and SECONDARY. THIS IS 2021 amd we should be more cogent of others feelings. I like ur awareness
And yes I have noticed lil lag but also way too muted on heel/toe. I do only have a single bass drum so I know it won’t knock like a double bass drum. I use both heel/toe on fast bpm and stomp for double strokes and triplets. And currently working on pressure swivel which is why I wanted to test a DD

A strap will not make it “faster” just a slight bit different. I converted a 310 and barely noticed a response difference.
Hey thanks for reply bro I really appreciate it. I honestly didn’t think it would be any significant diff for strap but have never played strap before, only single/double chains. And I really appreciate cause you have 310, so the comparison gonna be pretty similar

Exact info I was looking for, seriously really appreciate it

I would highly recommend upgrading a standard u-joint drive shaft to a Trick Drums bearing drive shaft over a direct drive conversion. Both cost the same and in my experience it will have a more noticeable and better improvement to any double pedal than a direct drive conversion ever will. "

This is my plan for my DW5k's. I love everything about them except some lag & a lack of smoothness. The Trick shaft solves all this.

The Trick shaft is fantastic. There is 0 lag in the joints. And if for some reason they do wear out, you can rebuild them.
"...we have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic pedal.
Better than it was before.
Better. Stronger. Faster."

Say what you want. If some bozo starts harping on you about it, send them packing. ?

Lol love ur outlook. “We have the technology” lol. Awesome bro I really appreciate it, have had like 4 people suggest drive shaft upgrade and I’m totally doing it this week. Nothing sounds as awesome as 256 bpm double kicks!!! And love other drummers input on these matters, always tweaking current gear, looking for more and better suggestions all the time so I really appreciate ur effort in the response!! Thank you Mrinsane!!

Some pedals don't take kindly when being called a slave.... PNM (Pedals Naming Matters)..
I have been wanting to get the trick drive shaft for a while but I keep forgetting. I am moving to what I hope will be my final home (retiring from the military after my next duty station). The plan is to build a very nice music room, setup my drums, guitars, and other audio recording related materials in a way that is conducive to more playing and less setting up. The drive shaft will be one of the improvements on my list.

I had this same thought, ditto amplifiers and digital syncing. I expect a new term will eventually be standardized.

Back