What brand mount is this?

tkenny

Hey guys, first post here so let me know if any thing is up with it/wrong place etc.

I'm trying to figure out what brand/make these mounts are, I know it's made in Japan but doesn't look like any MIJ stuff I've seen before, usually that stuff looks similar to Tama/Pearl. In all honesty I thought it was by Slingerland but after not being able to find pics of any Slingerlands with a double hole on the kick mount and seeing the Japan stamp I'm totally thrown off.

Anyone able to help?

Attachments

tkenny

Early Pearl. My Wood-Fiberglass kit has those exact mounts. They stopped using these somewhere around 72-73. They are the predecessors to the loved-by-all pipe arms.
Fantastic, thanks! Out of interest, are there be two holes for the arms to go through in the kick (as there are with the current mounts) or do the arms stop at the shell? Haven't looked into much vintage Pearl stuff and the arms look a lot thinner than they are now so I'm not sure how different they are. Thanks again!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Fantastic, thanks! Out of interest, are there be two holes for the arms to go through in the kick (as there are with the current mounts) or do the arms stop at the shell? Haven't looked into much vintage Pearl stuff and the arms look a lot thinner than they are now so I'm not sure how different they are. Thanks again!
Yes, the mounts penetrate the shell just like the modern pipe arms. These arms have good and bad points like all hardware. The locking screws that tighten against the ball have a tendency to strip if over tightened. The arms are kinda bouncy. You can also position the toms just about anyhow you want.

I know nothing about Gretsch and can only guess as to why this hardware is on those drums. Perhaps at the time, the Pearl hardware was superior to the Gretsch.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Hey guys, first post here so let me know if any thing is up with it/wrong place etc.
Gretsch also had a twin pipe tom mount, they used for a while. It was pretty fugly, and I've seen Gretsch kicks with this same Pearl mount on them, before. Perhaps the Pearl was more popular (among certain circles) ..... Maybe the holes line up. and it's an easy retrofit.

Attachments

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Gretsch also had a twin pipe tom mount, they used for a while. It was pretty fugly, and I've seen Gretsch kicks with this same Pearl mount on them, before. Perhaps the Pearl was more popular (among certain circles) ..... Maybe the holes line up. and it's an easy retrofit.
I had a CB700 70s kit as a beginner, and it had a similar, although skinnier, hex/steel ball tom mounting system. It had a sliding bar that went between the vertical part of the arms. I believe the idea was to keep the arms from wobbling laterally. Like it tied them together at the top.

tkenny

Yes, the mounts penetrate the shell just like the modern pipe arms. These arms have good and bad points like all hardware. The locking screws that tighten against the ball have a tendency to strip if over tightened. The arms are kinda bouncy. You can also position the toms just about anyhow you want.

I know nothing about Gretsch and can only guess as to why this hardware is on those drums. Perhaps at the time, the Pearl hardware was superior to the Gretsch.
Yeah I think that they were added after the fact, the plugged extra holes look like they'd fit a diamond mount. Gretsch hardware around then was a bit dodgy at times and although the Pearl stuff isn't as nice looking it makes sense to switch it out if you're looking for stability, as painful as it is to see some nice 70s drums with massive post holes.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Yeah I think that they were added after the fact, the plugged extra holes look like they'd fit a diamond mount.
Well, since they've been "modified" .... hopefully you got a players grade price on them. Still great sounding drums.

TK-421

It's funny how if you look at guitars from late 50s on, they pretty much look the same as they do today. Same with pianos. Trumpets. Violins. Clarinets. Harps. You name it... except drums.

While some consider drums to be the "simplest" instruments, in reality they are some of the most advanced, with technological leaps happening every few years—from shells to hoops to mounting hardware and nearly everything in between. This tom mount is just one of hundreds of examples of how far drums have come in only 40 years or so.

tkenny

Well, since they've been "modified" .... hopefully you got a players grade price on them. Still great sounding drums.
Yeah they're a great deal, usually Gretsch stuff is crazy expensive near me and these ones are a decent price, just trying to figure out how much "damage" these mounts have done since if I were to get it I'd definitely swap them out for Gretsch stuff. Blessing and a curse since it keeps it within my budget but the big clunky hardware and the tube holes that come with it are sad to see.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I know how you feel. The first 60s Ludwig kit I picked up had a Pearl double tom mount drilled into the beautiful 3-ply bass drum. Luckily, the criminal who committed this atrocity used L-arm tom mounts, so the rack tom wasn't affected.

tkenny

I know how you feel. The first 60s Ludwig kit I picked up had a Pearl double tom mount drilled into the beautiful 3-ply bass drum. Luckily, the criminal who committed this atrocity used L-arm tom mounts, so the rack tom wasn't affected.
Ouch. It's the double tom mount on the kick that really irks me, something about those two massive holes I can't stand. Even a single post mount is bearable, but those huge hulking double mounts are just painful.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
Ouch. It's the double tom mount on the kick that really irks me, something about those two massive holes I can't stand. Even a single post mount is bearable, but those huge hulking double mounts are just painful.
I feel ya. The Pearl mount was installed over the original Ludwig mount, so now there are 3 holes and no way to reinstall the original because of the holes on either side. Other people's kids man.