What black color should I use to paint my Pearl set?

Drummer Calvin

My Pearl Prestige Sessions Emerald color is 26 years old. I need to change it to all black but I wasn’t sure what kind of black is the trendiest or meanest looking. And I want to change all the hardwares to gold by powder coating.
Any recommendation? Thanks in advance guys

What usage?...large stage?...photo op?...pure bad-azz-ness?

Yeeeears ago when I first saw Marc Cranny with Zero Ted he had a flat black double bass ludwig kit. You might think FLAT BLACK?..ugh...but no...it was a very vibey look and I was in flat black mode for months. I don't think powder coating is terribly expensive. What about flat black shells with gloss black lugs. That's what D.V. would do.

BumWrap in black would be the easiest. It would be glossy, but you could do the entire process in about a day or so. Stage lights will bounce off of a glossy finish quite nicely while a matte finish will cause the lights to "sink" into the finish more IMO. You could also convert the kick to a born-again virgin too if you went with a wrap.

I'm not very handy, but the thought of trying get a matte black to look as even as the pros would be tough, but that's just me. Let us know what you decide to do!

Outside usage with black color gives me a minor concern about heat dissipation. I don't believe your set is wrapped...its lacquered isn't it?

I wonder if Andy is around...he prob. has good input on drum color and direct sun exposure concerns.

If you can, seriously consider purchase of a new set so you don't lose that Emerald Gem!

Black Powder Coat . If not, they make an appliance paint that's tough to scratch, it's glossy. Flat black and matte black looks good but scratches easily.

Go ahead ... paint it ultra flat black like people are 'blackening' (no gloss) out their pickup trucks ... and then drive back to your house with the granite counter-tops and stainless steel appliances.

One day soon you'll wake to find everybody else switched over to white kitchens with white matching appliances and recyclable glass counter-tops, gloss finisjed cars and wild flourescent-colored drumsets :LOL: , if the holograms haven't taken over by then, that is.

I'd go gloss black myself ... mean WITH CLASS, especially coupled with gold IMHO.

Outside usage with black color gives me a minor concern about heat dissipation. I don't believe your set is wrapped...its lacquered isn't it?

I wonder if Andy is around...he prob. has good input on drum color and direct sun exposure concerns.

If you can, seriously consider purchase of a new set so you don't lose that Emerald Gem!
When I played outside it never was under direct sunlight. After 26 years, my beloved green color lost its appeal.

Last edited:
Go ahead ... paint it ultra flat black like people are 'blackening' (no gloss) out their pickup trucks ... and then drive back to your house with the granite counter-tops and stainless steel appliances.

One day soon you'll wake to find everybody else switched over to white kitchens with white matching appliances and recyclable glass counter-tops, gloss finisjed cars and wild flourescent-colored drumsets :LOL: , if the holograms haven't taken over by then, that is.

I'd go gloss black myself ... mean WITH CLASS, especially coupled with gold IMHO.
I love gold highlights on black

Back