What beat of a measure do you adjust yourself on?

MrPockets

Gold Member
Do you always fart on the downbeat?
Adjust your cheeks on the and of 2?
Grab a new stick on the e of 3?

As a refined lady of the world I, of course, do not fart. Instead, I have a special arrangement where I can release most of my hot air on Drummerworld, leaving me as dignified and aromatic as Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth in real life (or at least in my imagination).

However, if I did flatulate, I would do it in free time with an improvisational spirit. Aren't we drummers locked to the tyranny of the grid enough these days without trying to synch our peristaltic movements to it as well?

Thank you, Pockets, for yet another provocative and useful thread :)

I trigger and quantize all my flatulence, so it doesn't matter when I do it. It will appear to be in perfect time to the audience.

hahaha this thread is crazy! I reached over and grabbed my bass players new beer he brought out during the intro to a deep purple tune and he never noticed.

As a refined lady of the world I, of course, do not fart. Instead, I have a special arrangement where I can release most of my hot air on Drummerworld, leaving me as dignified and aromatic as Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth in real life (or at least in my imagination).

Refined lady? Aren't you Aussie though? Doesn't one cancel out the other? :)

Yes, a most provocative thread. I have never thought about this. I don't think I ever try to adjust myself at any particular point.

Definitely not on a rest as BabyBob said. Perhaps the best course is to sneak it out over the whole length of the measure?

(I can't believe I just spent that precious few minutes of my life responding to this question...)

Seriously, in some cases the place of a measure where I camp out depends on other elements of the music. These would include the cadence and/or phrasing of the melodies, and the chord changes. For example, in Basie-Nestico big band arrangements, the trumpet section figures don't always fall on a quarter-note pulse. So I have to follow that.

Do you always fart on the downbeat?
Adjust your cheeks on the and of 2?
Grab a new stick on the e of 3?

I never really even thought about any of that! I did almost vomit during a show once.

You all are lucky that you get to decide when to let it out...

I always adjust myself somewhere between 4 and 1 depending onwhat I am playing.

I use a roc-n-soc throne and it slides a bit which I like but does require a bit of adjusting now and then.

I hope you're using leather or vinyl thrones so it's easier to clean if you accidentally let loose with a wet one...

On the downbeat? I'm more of a "let em rip on the 1" kinda guy. Only issue with that is that sometimes when you go for the big fill into the 1, they just kinda loose themselves. That can throw me off a bit.

Back