What bass drum is this?

Jml

Just got a new (vintage) kit. I’m not sure what type of bass drum I got (the toms are Slingerland and Eames). I’ve attached photos. Drum is 20 x 14. There is no badge (tom mount is a new Pearl one). The wrap and lugs may not be original but rims appear to be. Interior is painted silver, and I’ve read Gretsch sometimes paints the interior of their bass drums silver. Could this be a Gretsch? Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

opentune

Platinum Member
The upper T-rod is the only vintage Gretsch thing I see.
I can't tell of any interior silver paint from that pic but look for a paper badge in there.
Looks like a lot of replacements. Nice wrap and 14 x 20 is a great size bass drum.
How does it sound?

Jml

Thanks for compliments on the look. The wrap matches the mismatched toms. I’ve attached another pic of the inside. No paper, but I found these markings. I think whoever had it before changed a lot on this bass drum but I’d love to know what the original brand is.

Attachments

Jml

By the way, it sounds big and boomy and I love it. No porthole.....yet. May change if I ever gig.

opentune

Platinum Member
That last pic shows 3 re-rings. Typically older vintage drums have only 2 re-rings, one for each edge of the drum, not one in the middle.
3 re-rings is typical of 1960's Made in Japan (MIJ) copies of American drums like Slingerland or Gretsch of the day.
check here http://www.vintagedrumguide.com
I think you have a MIJ bass drum that somebody has modified, re-wrapped. Its possible your toms are converted MIJ drums as well.
No matter, MIJ drums can sound nice, but I hope it was not passed off to you as a vintage Gretsch or Slingerland kit or anything.
Any badges? Pics of toms?

Jml

The lugs are the same on all the toms and bass drum. They’re probably not original lugs. I’m attaching picture of the side of the 16x16 floor tom, which shows a Slingerland badge. I’m also attaching a picture of the inside of the 12x10 rack tom, which shows “Eames 1979” clearly engraved in the wood. It’s a mismatched kit for sure, but the wrap and lugs all match, it sounds great, and I got the whole thing dirt cheap, so no complaints. Just really curious about the bass drum origin.

Attachments

Jml

Found out they are old Tama lugs I think

Maybe swingstar?

Opentune was spot on, he knows his stuff
I’ve looked up a couple of different vintage or classic lugs. Could they be Gretsch? They look like old Gretsch lugs from some images I’ve seen.

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
I’ve looked up a couple of different vintage or classic lugs. Could they be Gretsch? They look like old Gretsch lugs from some images I’ve seen.
Well they looked a lot like Tamas to me, but then I saw some slingerland lugs they looked like. So I have no clue anymore no one listen to me lol

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
I read somewhere that a lot of the old lugs had the same hole spacing, and were "interchangeable". So if you had a Ludwig kit you could put Gretsch or rogers or slingerland lugs on them with very minimal hole routing. I don't know for sure, that's just what I've read, but if that's the case then the drums could be anything really

I'm saying that because the inside of the shells don't look like they match up to me

Jml

Yeah a lot of different parts on the whole kit. Including a Pearl Tom mount on the bass drum. I’ll just have to go on without really knowing the original brand of the bass drum. At least I like the way it looks and sounds.