what backup degree is most applicable to a career in the music industry?

MrPockets

Gold Member
The only back up degrees that could have overlap with being a musician would be music teaching, business (working at a record label), sales (e-commerce like Sweetwater), or manufacturing (making the instrument like Vic Firth).

Outside of those its literally any job that's gives you the best combination of free time and money.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
And there lies the rub.
I taught a Novell networking class back in the day at a CC,$35/hr.
No bennies.
A lot of colleges use TA's which get a stipend and tuition as pay.
The folks at UC Santa Cruz were barely making poverty wages and struck to get an increase.
I knew a lot of PHD's that were barely getting by.
Colleges use it as a racket.
The folks they give tenure to don't teach,but publish.
Motto at the UC's are publish or perish.

Yup, I was a part-time (working MORE than full-time hours) for 4 years, but I put in my time b/c I wanted to be full-time and gained the necessary experience to do so. I love my job! Since I work at a CC, I don't have to publish, but I do teach a lot! :)

force3005

Silver Member
Remember PT3407, whatever you decide to take in collage, known one can take it away from you. Plus you can build on if you want to. 😊

The Shepherd

Electronics Engineer, get a day job and design guitar pedals at night. If you do a good job, your guitarist bandmates will owe you their shirts.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
The live sound guy in my area tells me that he is working Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday sometime double gigs and we pay him at least USA $ 200. All you need to do that is a PA system.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
And there lies the rub.
I taught a Novell networking class back in the day at a CC,$35/hr.
No bennies.
A lot of colleges use TA's which get a stipend and tuition as pay.
The folks at UC Santa Cruz were barely making poverty wages and struck to get an increase.
I knew a lot of PHD's that were barely getting by.
Colleges use it as a racket.
The folks they give tenure to don't teach,but publish.
Motto at the UC's are publish or perish.
Teaching college used to be a path for people who were smart but less motivated. However, recently there are no Visa caps(at least in the US). The rumor has it that its nearly impossible to get funding for any sort of research now, because though they can and do let in as many H1B's for academia as they want, the research budget for most institutions has not increased appreciably. So, yeah I would avoid it. You could become a trucker, make more money and have more free time, with a window office where you can listen to the radio.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
The problem with a back up job that makes any significant amount of money, is that its going to take appreciable amounts of time and effort, leaving little left over. People don't waltz into any of these fields(Law, Science, Engineering etc), they are all a PITA just to get in the door, most of them demand excess of 40 hours a week in time. Its sad because we are supposedly living in a technology Eden of sorts, but in practice the amount of time spent working has been increasing consistently for years and is at about 50hrs per week. This kind of thing barely leaves most people with time to go to a show, much less time to have a hobby like playing drums.

pgm554

Platinum Member
Teaching college used to be a path for people who were smart but less motivated. However, recently there are no Visa caps(at least in the US). The rumor has it that its nearly impossible to get funding for any sort of research now, because though they can and do let in as many H1B's for academia as they want, the research budget for most institutions has not increased appreciably. So, yeah I would avoid it. You could become a trucker, make more money and have more free time, with a window office where you can listen to the radio.
Right on.
I deal with the h1b on the other level of companies like Apple,HP and such use them to exert salary pressure.
Bret Weinstein has a brother that taught at Harvard and used the h1B to get almost free TA's.
PhD's are a dime a dozen.

force3005

Silver Member
The problem with a back up job that makes any significant amount of money, is that its going to take appreciable amounts of time and effort, leaving little left over. People don't waltz into any of these fields(Law, Science, Engineering etc), they are all a PITA just to get in the door, most of them demand excess of 40 hours a week in time. Its sad because we are supposedly living in a technology Eden of sorts, but in practice the amount of time spent working has been increasing consistently for years and is at about 50hrs per week. This kind of thing barely leaves most people with time to go to a show, much less time to have a hobby like playing drums.

I have a EE and did on site installation around the US. In this field you can rack up the money if you like the living on the road. My first year out was around $125,000. Good money but after three to four years being out 90% you burn out. Long hours 12-16 hours days. I did bank a lot of money in those years. I received a living allowance, $125 a night away from home plus bonuses it all adds up. Down side being a way from home and no life. But if you watch your money you can retire in 15-20 years

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

just like being a professional musician!!!