What are your favorite bright crashes?

Soupy

Silver Member
Looking to try something different for my next cymbal purchase. What're everyones' favorite bright, smooth, full cymbals? I'd like some suggestion for starting my search.

What have you been using?

Most all of my crashes are Zildjian A Customs. Very bright and musical. And there are a ton of crashes within the A Custom line: Crash, Medium Crash, Projection Crash, Fast Crash, and the ReZo Crash, depending on your musical style and preference.

Can't go wrong with Paiste 2002's or Meinl Byzance, either!

Zildjian A Customs, Sabian AAX Xplosions, and Paiste 2oo2s. Don't know the Meinl lines well enough to comment but I've owned crashes from every line I've listed and they all meet your criteria.

My Sabian AAXpolsion 15" Crash is bright and ... well ... explosive. Peace and goodwill.

Paiste Giant Beats. The 20" is just awesome.

Well, my go-to crash is and has always been the 18" A Medium Thin Crash.

Tried and true. You can't go wrong with it, but to each his own. (I, for instance, never quite liked A Custom crashes.. so go figure).

Cheers!

The Zildjian A Customs are awsome. A lot of explosive sounds. I only have a 16" myself, but I look to expand on that number soon. Very soon.

I don't have any bright crashes, save two, in the event that I really need them, but I own a 17" Pasite Sig Full and an 18" A Custom Projection Crash. The A Custom is one of my favorite crashes ever, honestly. It's such an amazing, clear, big sounding cymbal.

Zildjian A custom mediums and Projections, A Mediums

Sabian AAXplosions are always great

Paiste Alpha Metal crashes and 2002 power crashes

Meinl Mb10's are amazing, and soundcaster customs. They don't have very many lines that are particularly bright. Just Mb10's, Mb8's, Soundcaster customs anf Fusions are about it. Their two most popular lines are hand hammered and a little on the darker side.

My 2002's are bright. I just purchased a signature full crash that is warm but bright.
Man I love Paiste cymbals...

I have owned a ton of bright crashes and liked most of them...I have always been a big Paiste fan and still am but to rank my 4 fav brights I would go 1. 20" A Custom crash 2. 18" AAX x-plosion fast crash 3. Paiste 18" 2002 crash 4. Paiste 17" signature crash

+2 on the 18" A Medium Thin and Medium crashes.

If you spend a little time searching and playing a bunch of different ones, you can find some real gems.

My 18" A Medium Thin is my go-to bright and full sounding crash.

The 18" A Medium is nice and beefy and also makes a good crash ride.

There are so many choices out there. You'll have to go try a bunch out.

+2 on the 18" A Medium Thin and Medium crashes.

If you spend a little time searching and playing a bunch of different ones, you can find some real gems.

My 18" A Medium Thin is my go-to bright and full sounding crash.

Yes yes YES!!! My favorite crash cymbal of all time is my 18" A Medium Thin crash. I can play it to be cutting or smooth, bright or mellow, depending on how you play it.

I'll chime in with a +4 on the 18" A Medium Thin. I've had several over the last 25 years and they are pretty much the gold standard for me. I don't have one at the moment, but I do have an 18" A Custom Projection, which is still an A medium-thin so it practically counts. That is a great cymbal too.

+1 18" Paiste Signature Full Crash
+1 17" Paiste Signature Full Crash

Hard work to save up for but easily worth it!

For me there are 2 kinds of bright and full crashes. One is the thinner type (AAXplosion) and the other is heavier (HH Rock). I prefer the thinner types and I have a new AA 18" Extra Thin Crash that is just awesome. Its bright, powerful, and very responsive.

Zildjian 18" Medium Thin

Zildjian 16" Projection

Back