What are your drumming goals for this year?

To stop saying "you go girl" to myself so much.

To get as much time behind the kit and on the pad as possible.
I know that's a little amorphous for a goal, but Lord knows I need it!
Peace,
Johnny

To actually work through Stick Control from front to back doing each exercise at least twenty times at various tempos and dynamics on the snare drum. I just bought a new copy to replace the original I purchased 33 years ago in high school when I first picked up the sticks. I'm approaching it with a much more focused and organized approach than when I was 14.

Also to keep working on playing rock music more convincingly than the way I've always played it-which was a big band drummer playing a "rock'" chart ( I hope to start a rock band when I retire at 60 ).

Last edited:
My major goal this year is to solidify my control and technique on double bass.

My main goal is to play a really good second year exam concert in classical percussion. Other than that, try to participate on all of the once-a-month jazz jam in town.

My main goal is to educate the worship leaders at church about drums and why they need to maintain high drumming standards.

Davo

My goal is to become a better drummer.

For me that means that I want to play more convincing, that my 190bpm+ fills need work, my 210bpm+ 8th note ride needs work and my right foot needs to get faster.

All that will come in time though, so I'll just play as much as I can and play the songs that let me work on those goals.

become better than everyone else on DW
& have a thread with a rating of 5 stars (with over 10 ratings)

Overall to just continue what I've been doing (e.g. weaker side lead).
But getting more into actually practicing at/playing the kit instead of hitting pads.

Work on the pad/snare and overall relaxation- I want to play music more than think my way through songs/fills/transitions which is what it feels like now.

It's my "Year of the Right Foot" (single pedal). I want hard, fast, accurate and syncopated, with 16th notes.

I'm doing lots of other stuff but that's my big goal for the year. I want to be a monster with my right foot and 26" bass drum this year.

To see the guitarist and bass player spin round and mouth...

"******* hell"

More frequently

(In a nice way of course)

Last edited by a moderator:
Work on the pad/snare and overall relaxation- I want to play music more than think my way through songs/fills/transitions which is what it feels like now.

Me too! We're definitely on the same wavelength there!

To clean up my doubles...and speed them up.

I'm never completely happy with them.

That, and to finish John Riley's The Art of Bop Drumming book.

I also want to nail the Tommy Igoe's Great Hands for a Lifetime. I'm currently working on the intermediate tempo. And again, never happy with every aspect of it.

My goal is to get picked up by a national act so I can stop doing electrical work. Also to lead my 6 piece band to victory so we can compete in Memphis next year at the International Blues Challenge.

My drumming goal is to get better at everything that i do on the drums. Same as the last 10+ years. Also to get better at guitar, piano, bass guitar and composing. And since i just got a job as a music teacher, to get better at teaching so i can serve my student's needs. Specifically I need to get my technique to the next level and remove some of the tension that has been creeping into my playing lately.

Back