What are you using to lube pedal bearings?

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I'm about to take a pedal apart for cleaning. Just wondering what is a good lubricant for the bearings and moving parts? In the past, I've used 3in1, but never directly on bearings. Thoughts?

This stuff, it contains teflon:
20220609_171056.jpg

Use it on anything small that has moving parts. Drum pedals, guns, hinges, lawn mower throttle plates, latches, seriously anything.

Our screen door handle would freeze every winter if it got wet. I sprayed it with this 3 years ago. It hasn't frozen since, even with the sub-zero hell freezing over of last year. I have yet to find anything small this doesnt work on.

View attachment 120220

Use it on anything small that has moving parts. Drum pedals, guns, hinges, lawn mower throttle plates, latches, seriously anything.

Our screen door handle would freeze every winter if it got wet. I sprayed it with this 3 years ago. It hasn't frozen since, even with the sub-zero hell freezing over of last year. I have yet to find anything small this doesnt work on.
I have the Lucas version. Didn't think to try that. Has a needle applicator too to get into the tight crevices without making a mess!

View attachment 120220

100% agree.

I have the Lucas version. Didn't think to try that. Has a needle applicator too to get into the tight crevices without making a mess!
Another option for applicators that do not have a needle is to pour a little into a small container, oil a toothpick and apply.

I use 3 in 1 on anything drum related that has moving parts.

Couple of drops on the pedal bearings keep everything smooth, just keep a rag handy to wipe any excess off.

I’d just replace the bearings with new ones. It’s cheap enough.
Pretty sure the bearings are in good shape. I ordered an older (no glowing wings) Yamaha Flying Dragon double pedal, but it's a lefty I'll have to convert. Great price and looks to be in great shape, except it's wrong sided! Figured I'd give it a good work-over while I had it apart.

Pretty sure the bearings are in good shape. I ordered an older (no glowing wings) Yamaha Flying Dragon double pedal, but it's a lefty I'll have to convert. Great price and looks to be in great shape, except it's wrong sided! Figured I'd give it a good work-over while I had it apart.
Can those be converted right-footed?

Hoppe’s #9 Gun Lubricating Oil. Just a drop, no more than two.

19EFB445-BD06-4608-A0E5-FAB738B8313D.jpeg

View attachment 120220

2nd that. Rem Oil. I put that on a B Bender on my bass when I bought it 10 years ago. Haven't added any since.

A drop of sewing machine oil. It was cheap on Amazon

130816961_210403637363576_8844050846068110517_n (1) (1).jpg

A tip: the dust cap comes off "sealed" ball bearings with a pick or small screwdriver. I remove them often.

How hard are bearings to replace on a DW 5000 double? My pedals don’t flop 30 or 40 times when you push on them like other pedals I see and I feel like I’m missing some thing, even though the pedal feels fine to me.

I have never lubed bearings on a pedal and never had an issue. That said, if I ever decided to do so I would probably use the pelgun oil I use for my daisy bb gun. Seems like 1-2 drops would be more then enough.

I have had great success lubricating slightly larger bearings on small two and three roller grain mills with plain mineral oil. That would be a good option as well.

How hard are bearings to replace on a DW 5000 double? My pedals don’t flop 30 or 40 times when you push on them like other pedals I see and I feel like I’m missing some thing, even though the pedal feels fine to me.
If the foot board itself is tight that probably isn't your bearings, that is probably the hinge attachment at the bottom of the foot board. I had this issue with an Alesis branded pedal that came with an ekit. I had to play with the piece a bit so it was tight enough to not fall out but not too tight as to limit movement and gave it a bit of pelgun oil on both sides. Now it's super smooth, moves freely, and doesn't squeak. Pics below.

IMG_20220622_205327254.jpgIMG_20220622_205310280.jpg

If the foot board itself is tight that probably isn't your bearings, that is probably the hinge attachment at the bottom of the foot board. I had this issue with an Alesis branded pedal that came with an ekit. I had to play with the piece a bit so it was tight enough to not fall out but not too tight as to limit movement and gave it a bit of pelgun oil on both sides. Now it's super smooth, moves freely, and doesn't squeak. Pics below.

View attachment 120644View attachment 120645
Interesting. Will check it tomorrow. Thx Ron!

Easy! Sealed bearings, I picked up 2 and used on a 3000 dbl pedal. 2 screws to remove the heel plate, then 4 screws under that.
In fact, I even changed out the heel plate for the 5000 model ones which are more stout & feel better.

Back