What are you listening to right now?

"Turn to Stone" by Electric Light Orchestra right now, before that it was "King of the World" by Steely Dan, then "Late in the Evening" by Paul Simon

Emerson, Lake & Palmer "Karn Evil9"
I had forgotten how much I loved this a long long time ago but a couple of weeks ago I decided to have a listen, and I think I love it as much today. I know there are some of you that are not too keen on Palmer's drumming, but I think he's brilliant here. And Keith is my favv keyboard player/wrestler of all time :)

Is there anything worth listening to from this decade? I keep trying to find things, but have failed.

One exception is Porcupine Tree, but most everything else I listen to is 30 years old.

I never really checked out James Brown until recently. Some cool stuff in there, but a lot to weed through. I'd like to hear more backing music with less actual James Brown!

The James Brown well runs deep! A few years ago I submerged myself and had a ball. Few of my favorites: I Cant Stand Myself (to me underrated awesome drum groove that crazy and even turns into a solo at James' behest, dont turn it loose, cuz its a motha!), Funky Drummer with that awesome breakdown beat that Ive been trying to play for 15 years), Talkin Loud, Papa Dont Take No Mess, The Payback, Cold Sweat, Prisoner of Love....man there are so many, so much awesomeness. My fav drummer of his is Clyde, he's his own funk animal.

The James Brown well runs deep! A few years ago I submerged myself and had a ball. Few of my favorites: I Cant Stand Myself (to me underrated awesome drum groove that crazy and even turns into a solo at James' behest, dont turn it loose, cuz its a motha!), Funky Drummer with that awesome breakdown beat that Ive been trying to play for 15 years), Talkin Loud, Papa Dont Take No Mess, The Payback, Cold Sweat, Prisoner of Love....man there are so many, so much awesomeness. My fav drummer of his is Clyde, he's his own funk animal.

Don't get me started on James Brown. I Can't Stand Myself is an awesome groove. It's the white funk band The Dapps on that track. Beau Dollar on drums, Tim Drummond on bass; Drummond became James Brown's first white musician. He went on the tour to Vietnam with Brown.

This is a Beau Dollar solo release (ignore the King record label in the Youtube clip):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kR-eUxkW3s&list=RD9kR-eUxkW3s&index=1

A lot of Anika Nilles lately. Her outside the box approach to drums in her songs has me intrigued.
She puts fills where they normally wouldn't be and goes over & under the measures a lot as well.

At first it sounded like she wasn't serving her own songs very well, but now that I've listened to her, I'm hearing her subtle genius.
It's helped me in my own practice as well.

A lot of Anika Nilles lately. Her outside the box approach to drums in her songs has me intrigued.
She puts fills where they normally wouldn't be and goes over & under the measures a lot as well.

At first it sounded like she wasn't serving her own songs very well, but now that I've listened to her, I'm hearing her subtle genius.
It's helped me in my own practice as well.

Very cool. Only a handful of songs on Google music. They all come in minus drums versions as well, which is interesting.

Does she have full albums?

The Flatliners- Inviting Light

Their drummer Paul is a beast. One of my favorites to watch and listen to. He plays with the calmest demeanor and kills it on the set.

Back