What are you listening to right now?

wraub

A vintage K.C. concert. It's cool to see Robert getting down during his solo in the first ten minutes of this show...

I like Red and Starless, I like the later stuff, I really like the playing of Wetton and Bruford, I even like Cat Food :D but this, to me, is perfect King Crimson.

I was young, but already playing in prog bands, and I remember going to see this when the tour came through. Thanks for the video.

wraub

share it? :)

Well... it's not a very good recording, and I'm comparing it to a recording of me from a year ago so context is important, and, knowing I'm surrounded by a lot of players infinitely more skilled than myself, I am hesitant.

That said, I'm thinking about it. :)

Icetech

Gold Member
Well... it's not a very good recording, and I'm comparing it to a recording of me from a year ago so context is important, and, knowing I'm surrounded by a lot of players infinitely more skilled than myself, I am hesitant.

That said, I'm thinking about it. :)
Cool... i recorded myself once and it was soul shattering :)

wraub

Cool... i recorded myself once and it was soul shattering :)
Actually, between the two recordings there's obvious progress as a drum set user, but, that first recording? Not great.
I'm, thinking of starting a thread I (and others, presumably for laffs) could reference as I continue to play, but that seems like a waste of bandwidth and, also, a waste of up to as many as almost 10 minutes of people's time.

Still not ruling it out. ;) :D

edit- Would there be any interest in a thread where we could put recordings for constructive listening, for our own benefit and edification? For example, I could post two recordings that I think show progress and development, and others could offer helpful critique and aid, and also contribute their own recordings for same?
Audio or video, for constructive criticism, without fear of negativity?
Or is that just the technique section?

Also, it's 6 and a half minutes. :D

Last edited:

Drumolator

Platinum Member
Eric Reed Goovewise Yes, more jazz.

Seamus Blake - saxophones
Eric Reed - piano
Ben Williams - bass
Gregory Hutchinson - drums

Peace and goodwill.

wraub

...(I'm afraid to ask)...."Yacht Rock"?

Yacht rock (originally known as the West Coast sound or adult-oriented rock) is a broad music style and aesthetic commonly associated with soft rock, one of the most commercially successful genres from the mid-1970s to early 1980s. Drawing on sources such as smooth soul, smooth jazz, R&B, and disco, common stylistic traits include high-quality production, clean vocals, and a focus on light, catchy melodies. Its name, coined in 2005 by the makers of the online video series Yacht Rock, was derived from its association with the popular Southern Californian leisure activity of sailing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacht_rock

https://www.smoothradio.com/features/yacht-rock-songs-soft-rock/

SomeBadDrummer

I have been listening to old Bee Gee's, ABBA and stuff like that for some reason.
Van Halen 2, Rainbow, Scorpions Tokyo Tapes, Steely Dan....
I also like this old Herb Alpert "Taste Of Honey" album I have.
I popped in some Laurie Anderson a couple days ago too.
2815CB0F-B66C-4224-9D8A-3960A60F14B4.jpegTokyo Tapes is a fabulous live album. Not sure about the aerobic imagery positioning but these guys were tight as a band.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
More jazz for me. I got this in the mail today: Jon Cowherd Mercy, so this is my first listen.

Jon Cowherd - piano, electric piano, mellotron
Bill Frisell - guitars
John Patitucci - acoustic bass
Brian Blade - drums

Peace and goodwill.

Watching and listening to Black
Sabbath /BOC vid from the Black and Blue tour 1980 Nassau coliseum Long Island . Was at that show and the one at Madison Square Garden NYC. Was just shy of 14 at the time . Thanks to my older brother( R.I.P) for taking me and a friend along with a crew of 18-20 year olds, and for convincing my parents I’d be ok and to let me go . I survived ! Barely 😉