What Are You Doing While Riding Out This Period Of Social Isolation?

Howdy Ben, that sure is a shame if you don’t love her. I kinda got the sense you wanted to try and sort it out.
I went through something similar with my wife, a stressful situation that caused us to part briefly, I’ll keep my advice short and sweet then. Don’t be too hasty to give up and be understanding and listen to her.
The not loving her thing has thrown me for a loop. Best to cut contact and move on, you’ll find someone else.

She's ringing me tomorrow evening at 5pm.....so I'll see how that goes.

I recorded my Starphonic Spotted Gum snare in my bedroom. I'd been playing it outside just for fun, and when the weather got damp, I took it into the bedroom. It's a very different sound in there (obviously), and with all the carpet and bed and underwear debris, I thought I'd record it in various tunings to show how many (or few) sounds this drum can make.

This model of the Starphonic series grabbed my attention when it was introduced because the wood is very hard, almost as hard as bubinga, and it's from Australia (where birds and 'roos can kill you). This translates to a "bright" sound in a drum, even though Tama marketed its bubinga drums as "dark and mysterious, but with incredibly high overtones". ?

I realize this video doesn't cover everything. Different heads can be used, different snappies, heavier sticks, etc., but hopefully this will show those new to the instrument that one drum can provide multiple sounds.

Old thread yes, isolation is still here so whatever. Hockey started again today. This makes me happy, a sport I actually like is back. No crowd is weird, and why is there still an announcer to announce the goals and assists for the nonexistent crowd?

There is a virtual crowd on the big screen. Its groups of groups of people who are watching the game wherever. Strange.

Well, I didn't exactly finish listening to my CDs (see earlier post) but I have been wrapping-up stuff on my photo book. I may have mentioned it elsewhere, probably Off-Topic section since it's not a drum book, but it is drummer-related: I shot the photos! It's early Al stuff in b&w, almost none of them ever seen before.

The title, cover art, pre-order and website launch on Aug 10, and I'll post again in Off-Topic. :)

Now I can finally say, I'm a author!

Bermuda

An author. :p

Oh, a other wise guy!

Congrats. I've got the chapter titles for mine sitting on the back burner for about 10 years now. :oops:

Thanks, my personal book concept has been rattling around in my head for about 10 years. This book popped into my head only 3 years ago, but sat dormant until last December. Then it took off like Tower Of Power's first 11 singers! ?

Gained like 13 pounds.

House stuff:

1. New Sod
2. New Sprinklers
3. New A/C (4 mini-splits in 4 zones of the house)
4. New Fencing

Good times

Music Stuff:

1. Produced "The Heart Space Live" - online concert series for Southwest US Artists...been a blast supporting the scene and giving people something to do.
2. We've composed our second album pretty much entirely - we head into Frogville Studios here at the end of the month to record.
3. Worked with Lucas Von Gretsch and made the switch to Gretsch Drums -
4. Composing a musical to accompany the second album - we structured it to have a story format then ran into this grant/residency with a group that is seeking indigenous artists to help develop broadway style plays so it's all coming together in a way we never expected. We'll see how that progresses past the normal album.
5. Our band was invited compose a track for the "Solidarity Express" - a CD produced and featuring Phil Manzanera from Roxy Music / David Gilmour and Grammy award winning engineer John Lindemann. In discussion with providing them a track to for their album - they've agreed to a track on OURS - so we are beyond excited about that. They'll take the tracks we put together at Frogville and pair with a whole world music group of musicians that are part of the Solidarity Express project - should be wild.
6. We signed with Mutiny Records for licensing deals - they put songs on things like Netflix shows or commercials, etc. so I'm hoping to see our stuff on something soon (fingers crossed).

Really just trying to position ourselves to be able to hit "GO" and be full blast and ready to go with new music when things get back up and running.

Drum Stuff:

Besides the Gretsch thing: I decided to finally stop complaining about all these linear chops kids that keep running circles around me and try to tackle that style of playing head on. I got a hold of one of my favorites: David Cola - I think he's one of the best at being musical with that style of playing and incorporating it into some fantastic gigs and being super tasteful and musical...with the headroom to "chop out" when he needs. So I'll be doing some skype lessons and have a whole suite of linear style patterns, etc. coming my way.

I don't know how soon any of that will imprint - but I'm excited for the challenge.

Attachments

• IMG_2790.jpg
    IMG_2790.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 3
I'm rooting for them right now. I don't really have a favorite team, I usually just pick one in whatever game is on. If someone put a gun to my head I would say the Devils.

I despise Sydney Crosby. He is a whiny little b!+(#. But also one incredibly talented hockey player.

Well I have a fully masked up "get together" with some guys tmrw...hardly an audition really their not very good but Ill play with anyone, anyway its all Pick up the Pieces. Spooky, Pink Floyd and Road to Freedom type stuff....so plenty busy practising......trouble is the heat, windows open does not make for happy neighbours...ha ha

Staying busy in my shop. I just added a new 3/8 inch drill and a right angle drill/driver from Ryobi, which caused me to re-do my storage/charging station. Ready for all tasks.

Attachments

• IMG_0253.jpeg
    IMG_0253.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0256.jpg
    IMG_0256.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 7
Back