What are you doing drumwise during the lockdown?

About five years ago, I worked to incorporate the SPD-SX into my kit, but its placement anywhere except on my left side felt awkward. My hi-hat was in the way unless I mounted the pad well above it. It felt like the Eye of Sauron with dreadlocks (cables). When Tama came out with their latest edition of their remote hat, I went for it and have spent the last 18 months getting used to the placement of the hats.

A cable remote will never be as quick as a hi-hat stand. Eighth notes are still possible, but at higher tempos it's sluggish. Since I place mine in front of the snare (I got the idea from Bill Bruford's setup) I use the short cable (1 meter) and it's better than the longer cable (used for placing the hats on the opposite side of the kit).

In Bruford's autobiography he mentions that placing the hats centered in front of the snare eliminated the descending tom setup. This helped mitigate his reliance on descending tom fills. This intrigued me and helps me explore other patterns on the toms.

This is new for me this year. As a metal drummer in need to do blast beats. I wanted to be able to do them from either side with either hand. I have two sets of hats and two stands and could have had one either side, but thought one in the center was a simpler idea. I put a ride either side of it and it's a super fast open handed kit. My whole drumming life has been faster/longer/harder. As my journey continues my kit keeps getting smaller and more compact to accommodate this.IMG_20200123_144714.jpg

Please excuse the awful photo. I'm really not good at taking pictures. Weird as my mom was a photographer/journalist.

This is new for me this year. As a metal drummer in need to do blast beats. I wanted to be able to do them from either side with either hand. I have two sets of hats and two stands and could have had one either side, but thought one in the center was a simpler idea. I put a ride either side of it and it's a super fast open handed kit. My whole drumming life has been faster/longer/harder. As my journey continues my kit keeps getting smaller and more compact to accommodate this.

Open-handed all the time! Nice. That’s a dream I once had.

Please excuse the awful photo. I'm really not good at taking pictures. Weird as my mom was a photographer/journalist.
All you had to do was hold still and smile. All your life. ?

Working on songs for a fusion band.

But the biggy is making a proper run at playing jazz, that's where I'm spending the most time. I'd gotten close many times, but always got turned away from it for one lousy excuse or another. But now I'm committed, and making good progress.
I'm using John Riley's Art of Bop Drumming, Peter Erskine's Essential Drum Fills, and Jazz Standards for Drumset by Brian Fullen. Great books, highly recommend.

Working on songs for a fusion band.

But the biggy is making a proper run at playing jazz, that's where I'm spending the most time. I'd gotten close many times, but always got turned away from it for one lousy excuse or another. But now I'm committed, and making good progress.
I'm using John Riley's Art of Bop Drumming, Peter Erskine's Essential Drum Fills, and Jazz Standards for Drumset by Brian Fullen. Great books, highly recommend.
please hit me up if you have any questions at all.

not saying you will even ever have an issue or question ... I just love helping people with things I happen to have experience and knowledge in.

plus I know that learning to play jazz out of a book can be difficult and misleading

plus I have some time on my hands and love talking shop

One thing I found that has really helped many people who are learning jazz coming from a rock background (not sure if you do but I did) is playing everything you are practicing as if a baby is sleeping in the next room and you do not want to wake it ...without losing intensity.

this will pay off in a big way later on

Last edited:
This is new for me this year. As a metal drummer in need to do blast beats. I wanted to be able to do them from either side with either hand. I have two sets of hats and two stands and could have had one either side, but thought one in the center was a simpler idea. I put a ride either side of it and it's a super fast open handed kit. My whole drumming life has been faster/longer/harder. As my journey continues my kit keeps getting smaller and more compact to accommodate this.View attachment 91219

I had my set up like this 2-3 years ago for a long time, to work on different fill ideas, as well as different beat ideas. I had more toms - in a symmetrical array on with side of the "subdivision/groove center", which is what I called the snare - hihat area in the middle. I actually had my snare centered, my HH just to the left in front of the snare, and my ride just to the right in front of the snare.

It was awesome to use to play along to stuff I had been doing in a traditional set up for years...like re-learning the set. In my surf punk band, I still use this set up because I wrote a bunch of songs using it, and like the feel. It totally f's with sound guys though..."uh...where do I put the snare mic?"

I had my set up like this 2-3 years ago for a long time, to work on different fill ideas, as well as different beat ideas. I had more toms - in a symmetrical array on with side of the "subdivision/groove center", which is what I called the snare - hihat area in the middle. I actually had my snare centered, my HH just to the left in front of the snare, and my ride just to the right in front of the snare.

It was awesome to use to play along to stuff I had been doing in a traditional set up for years...like re-learning the set. In my surf punk band, I still use this set up because I wrote a bunch of songs using it, and like the feel. It totally f's with sound guys though..."uh...where do I put the snare mic?"

Three months in and I'm totally digging it. It transfers from the pad real easy, and the rides/snare/hats location makes it so easy to go between any of the three (4 in my case).

Never thought about the sound guy. Not my problem!

It totally f's with sound guys though..."uh...where do I put the snare mic?"
I place my snare mic under the hats and the bleed isn't any worse than when the mic pokes in from the 10 o’clock location and the hats are at the 7 o’clock area.

I place my snare mic under the hats and the bleed isn't any worse than when the mic pokes in from the 10 o’clock location and the hats are at the 7 o’clock area.

yeah... a lot of the guys around here like the mic to be perpendicular. to the head, with the mic face an inch right above the head...no change, no explaining or adding suggestions...it is that way, or no mic at all. No ticking the mic underneath anything...a lot of the time, it is a "smile and nod" moment...and then I just tweak the mic when they go to the guitars...

yeah... a lot of the guys around here like the mic to be perpendicular. to the head, with the mic face an inch right above the head...no change, no explaining or adding suggestions...it is that way, or no mic at all. No ticking the mic underneath anything...a lot of the time, it is a "smile and nod" moment...and then I just tweak the mic when they go to the guitars...
Here’s a decent rundown of mic positioning on a snare drum. The sound of a close-mic’d snare doesn’t provide the full Sonics of the drum; the snappy sound is muted. The overheads provide a much better image for my amateur recordings.

Here’s a decent rundown of mic positioning on a snare drum. The sound of a close-mic’d snare doesn’t provide the full Sonics of the drum; the snappy sound is muted. The overheads provide a much better image for my amateur recordings.

yep...for live, I just use an SM57, set at an angle to the drum, usually placed between the 2 toms...like underneath them. Not in the way, and always works. Been doing it this way for 25+ years...

During the C-event, I am restoring and Re-wrapping a 1967 Ludwig 14'' x 24'' Pink Champagne Sparkle Bass Drum. It was Very badly Drilled at the Ludwig Factory. It must have been a Friday, pissed-off Worker, High/Drunk who the hell knows. The Rail-mount Tom Holder is 4 inches too Far to the left, The L-arm Cymbal Mount is 3 inches too far to the Right. Even the Air Hole Keystone Badge was Misaligned and Not centered. But when done with Hoops sanded and repainted, New PCS Wrap, it will look NEW.

Attachments

• 24PCS2.jpg
    24PCS2.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 24PCS5.jpg
    24PCS5.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 5
please hit me up if you have any questions at all.

not saying you will even ever have an issue or question ... I just love helping people with things I happen to have experience and knowledge in.

plus I know that learning to play jazz out of a book can be difficult and misleading

plus I have some time on my hands and love talking shop

One thing I found that has really helped many people who are learning jazz coming from a rock background (not sure if you do but I did) is playing everything you are practicing as if a baby is sleeping in the next room and you do not want to wake it ...without losing intensity.

this will pay off in a big way later on
Hey thanks man! I really appreciate it, and I'll holler as needed!

I'm a manager at a supermarket so I've barely touched my drums in the last few weeks until this past weekend.

I'm working 70+ hours and then my wife is working from home while attempting to go over schoolwork with my young daughter......The last thing she wants to hear is drums.

I need to haul my drums to the upstairs offices at my store and play there when we close at 10 PM.

1. Morello Stone Killer exercise, all kinds of variations

2. The money beat, very slow, no fills, really listening to the sound.

3. Half-time shuffles, all speeds, but mainly very slow, really listening to sound and groove

1. Morello Stone Killer exercise, all kinds of variations

2. The money beat, very slow, no fills, really listening to the sound.

3. Half-time shuffles, all speeds, but mainly very slow, really listening to sound and groove

Yeah push........I'm working on my half time shuffles as well. Nice and slow, I'm trying to improve my R F L triplet combinations across the kit with straight 8ths on the hats.

I tell ya, doing them really slowly is a lot trickier that I thought.

Last edited:
Yeah push........I'm working on my half time shuffles as well. Nice and slow, I'm trying to improve my Right Foot Left triplet combinations across the kit with straight 8ths on the hats.

I tell ya, doing them really slowly is a lot trickier that I thought.

I find that doing the first 4 exercises from Stick Control with my feet, very slowly, for several minutes daily is really helpful. It’s almost as important as doing them with the hands.

I find that doing the first 4 exercises from Stick Control with my feet, very slowly, for several minutes daily is really helpful. It’s almost as important as doing them with the hands.

It's funny. As a metal drummer, I've been saying do rudiments with your feet forever (yes I do them). Until a few years ago, most folks thought this was a joke. What has changed?

It's funny. As a metal drummer, I've been saying do rudiments with your feet forever (yes I do them). Until a few years ago, most folks thought this was a joke. What has changed?

Nothing has changed. The rest of the world is just catching up to you, that's all.

You're way ahead of your time.

So you got that going for you.

Back