What are you doing drumwise during the lockdown?

I've been busy absorbing studio/recording mixing techniques on YouTube and delving into using DAW software again. I got a free copy of Abelton Lite and ProTools First with my Alesis Strike Multipad. I also might learn BandLab Cakewalk.

In addition to that I've been programming new kits on my Pearl Mimic Pro drum module. I urge anyone with an e-Kit at home or studio to consider one. Hands down the best module out there and I've owned quite a few.

I’m in Malaysia. We got 14 days of restricted movement to deal with. Today is day 6.

Yesterday i managed to get my cymbal inventory spreadsheet updated.
355 cymbals and hihat pairs so far.

I’m also working a bit on bass drum Bonham triplets.

I got everything I need at home - no suffering here.

Where in Malaysia are you based? I spent a lot of time working out there. I wonder if we know any of the same musicians?

I'm finally learning to play De-Loused in the Comatorium. That whole record is inflammable, and Jon Theodore's playing is impeccable.

I'm also spending some time to really dial in the recorded tones with the Gretsch kit. Upgrades to my front end means I get to play around with new mic preamps!

Videos will be coming out with more regularity soon.

What a great album. That's a good project for this extended period of isolation.

More on-line drum lessons...

Here fragment of a 12-bar blues drum solo, what you hear is 4 bars intro and 12 of solo ending EXACTLY on the first beat of measure 1 (of the next 12), and then continuing with a little time playing ... If you can´t follow it just sing a blues in your mind while I solo...

and more practicing!

I'm going back to the basics, counting 1n2n3n4n using promark branches/rods while cranking up the rock n roll and hip hop. I was once told I did too many fills. I'm not as wild and trying to be intricate, just being meat and potatoes. I used to never count but I went back to the basics instead of playing all crazy lol. I'm making progress. My next move is to put in earplugs, I've got some zildgian ones, my mother reminded me today and to tell the truth I have a headache. Too much social d!

Learning songs for an audition that's been on hold for a while. one of the songs is Ex's & Oh's which has a "tom-shuffle" thing, and "Black horse & a cherry tree", not sure whether to play hats or the rim during the verse.

I'm transcribing this as well as adding it as a basis to my regular independence work.

This is also a cool tune, which I believe features Claudia's husband Niclas on the drums.

Last edited:
I'm working on this.....but I also do the same exercise pattern incorporating the double bass pedal.

I do one round using the hands and one round using my feet, then repeat.

I really do love this guy.

Rob Brown really speaks my language.

I've got a bit of a man-crush on him.

Last edited:
Nice. I’m going to mess with those grooves when my son wakes up from his nap.

We played that song as a regular on our set-list.

It's actually quite a bitch.

The vocal intro took some time to get right.

I ended up just riding on the floor tom.....it gave the groove some real balls.

I THINK the original had the shuffle on the snare.

Wrote down a list of “Instagram drumming” video ideas to develop. Knocked the easiest one of them out today. Feels nice to have a creative project going!

Really? You mean in addition to the shuffle being on the toms too?

I've seen it played live on TV and yeah.....I have a sneakin' suspicion that the dude played the shuffle on the snare and played the upbeats on the rack tom and the floor tom.

But I didn't like it......so I just played the shuffle on the floor tom and alternated the upbeats between the rack tom and the floor tom I have on my left, near the hi-hats.

A classic case.......a floor tom on your left that really helped.

I may be totally mistaken, given my track history with my love life......it's probably the case here.

I'm teaching 6 days a week via Zoom.
Done 5 remote recording sessions for artists trying to finish their records... I have another track due tomorrow... going to try to work on it today.
Doing a 4 way split screen "Isolation Jazz" video for a friend ... more difficult than it sounds.
In some spare time trying to work my way through the 150 solo Wilcoxon book ... very challenging.
Also started a video series to try to keep my students inspired and motivated to practice in these uncertain times...Episode 2 literally just went up seconds ago.
My kids and I started a Punk Rock band called Lollipop Graveyard and put out our first single ... that's below as well :)
check them out if you wish.

trying to stay busy

Ep. 1

Ep. 2

Butt In The Front

Last edited:
I'm teaching 6 days a week via Zoom.
Done 5 remote recording sessions for artists trying to finish their records... I have another track due tomorrow... going to try to work on it today.
Doing a 4 way split screen "Isolation Jazz" video for a friend ... more difficult than it sounds.
In some spare time trying to work my way through the 150 solo Wilcoxon book ... very challenging.
Also started a video series to try to keep my students inspired and motivated to practice in these uncertain times...Episode 2 literally just went up seconds ago.
check them out if you wish.

Ep. 1

Ep. 2
Digging into parathon now. I like that it works the hands and also is musical, which is what I love about those Wilcoxon solos. You have textbook hands. There's a lot to learn just by watching how you play this stuff.

Where in Malaysia are you based? I spent a lot of time working out there. I wonder if we know any of the same musicians?

What a great album. That's a good project for this extended period of isolation.
Im in KL(Bangsar) I’m sure we got common friends among the musicians here. I know many of them although I’m just a expat hobby player myself.

Digging into parathon now. I like that it works the hands and also is musical, which is what I love about those Wilcoxon solos. You have textbook hands. There's a lot to learn just by watching how you play this stuff.
I love the Wilcoxon stuff.
... and my hands aren’t all that good by any stretch and that Reflexx pad exposes you man... ?
But thank you Lar for the kind words.
Parathon is a fun one

Back