What are you doing drumwise during the lockdown?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Lotsa ways to skin the cat. But always use a metronome (well, I do cuz otherwise I flail).

If you’re using a pad, repeat each exercise 8 times then go to the next one without stopping. Go through the entire page in this manner.

On a full kit, play the bass drum on 1, hats (other foot) on 3. Play the page as above.

After happy hour, move the 1 to your right hand (dominant hand) and play the page of exercises between your bass & left hand. Move around the kit and get used to the pattern of sounds.

Then 1 with the left hand and patterns with your right hand & bass drum.

What I found was that when I moved around the kit, I flubbed frequently cuz of different sounds and different rebounds. I always play at slow tempos cuz I’m listening for patterns that I like.
Cool, I can do that. Now I see why everyone says this page will last a lifetime.

The triplet exercises look like a good time too.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

have been:
- teaching lessons online to all of my high school students
- prepping my step son for college marching band auditions
- working on my own chops on pad. Sadly, my drum set is also on "lock down" at school, I have no access to it for a while. No biggie though. I have the pad for hands, and the floor for feet.
- watching drum stuff on Youtube

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Cool, I can do that. Now I see why everyone says this page will last a lifetime.

The triplet exercises look like a good time too.
That first page would be avalable all over even if the whole book wasn't.

I have at least five copies and order at least two for every new place I work. It won't go anywhere any time soon. It's endorsed by pretty much anyone who's anybody.

You can obviously do that first page as triplets, too. It's endless.

One kit application would be to change the RH for the RF and go from there.

Move accents around, mess with subdivisions and do substitutions on the kit and you see how far it can go. Matt Patella has a bunch of free lessons on it. https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMattyp127/search?query=stick+control

Last edited:

WhoIsTony?

Do you mean memorized like play the whole page all the way through without looking? Constructing a solo out of it? How so? Do you call out "exercise 9" and they play it?

When I studied, I missed out on a lot of this. I had to move after 8 months, and my teacher knew it. So he taught me the things I needed to know and how to use the book so I could continue after I moved. I was in a band less than a year later, so book studying pretty much stopped. Since I've found a new love for the pad, I've really been enjoying working patterns. I forgot how fun and relaxing it really is.
memorize the page

Mongrel

Silver Member
Working my day job....

Apparently in NJ "essential personnel" includes public school facility staff members (maintenance staff in my case).

Between that, and relocating my 7 month pregnant daughter's family who closed on a house and had to be out of their apartment by today....

Pretty much "business as usual".

I swear her furniture wasn't this heavy when they moved in five years ago.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Well alright then. Good thing I have lots of free time.

Would you suggest one exercise at a time until clean then move on, or learn the whole page as fast as I can and let it clean itself up over time?
One page a day 1 mninute each exercise is that Dom Famularo will tell you. Obviously, there's many ways to it. That's just a way to get people having a conditioning pad routine. Conditioning is an imporant part though and any young person learning drums partly in a group environment will get a healthy dose of that.

It's just an idea. Obviously, if you start going through the whole page you spend extra time on the ones that are hard and skip the easy ones sometimes, so the other ones can catch up. How about going backwards or spend some real time with just the hard ones.

Just like in other playing doubles over the bar or beat will be more challengng when you go up in tempo.

If drumming is a sport it's an endurance one. If you go for time just a slight increase in speed can make a huge difference.

I just did the play-a-long with Tommy Igoe. IG shut it down before he was done, but it was the whole LTWU at 160 bpm and playing the exercises for time. Rolls of one or two minutes between. Probably went 1 hour 20 mins non-stop.

Last edited:

WhoIsTony?

Well alright then. Good thing I have lots of free time.

Would you suggest one exercise at a time until clean then move on, or learn the whole page as fast as I can and let it clean itself up over time?
I usually have my students play each one for 1 minute straight ... so pg 5 is 24 minutes long

but I worked on them until they came off the page ... meaning I didn't have to look at it ... I related them to things like songs and commercials or whatever to help memorize them

for example #8 is Africa by Toto etc etc... to me

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I usually have my students play each one for 1 minute straight ... so pg 5 is 24 minutes long

but I worked on them until they came off the page ... meaning I didn't have to look at it ... I related them to things like songs and commercials or whatever to help memorize them

for example #8 is Africa by Toto etc etc... to me
I can do that. 24 minutes a day isn't much.

This is gonna be weird. Long time no book learning. I think it will be a nice change.

WhoIsTony?

I can do that. 24 minutes a day isn't much.

This is gonna be weird. Long time no book learning. I think it will be a nice change.
bro I promise you ... if you do those 24 minutes a day of focussed stick control you will see a difference

try to eventually do it without stopping ... like when your minute is up on #1 transition straight into #2

I bet you will want to do it longer ... if you feel that ... do it

don't worry about tempo ... worry about making them feel good ... tempo comes later

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Thanks man! I just printed it out!
oh yeah...3 Camps is a great grid pattern to use. Try it with:
buzz rolls; tap roll fill in's; tap drag; flams; flam drags; double paradiddles as mentioned, paradiddle-diddles; flam 5's; ghost strokes; backsticks; ghost flams....

that was real popular to use back in the 90's in the drum corp world...

mrfingers

Playing to my Procol Harum tapes🤗 which is a real break from my band’s playlist of AC/DC, ZZ Top, KISS, Stone Temple Pilots, etc..Lot more dynamics and variations in rhythms...and better vocals!

Old Dog new Cans

My best bro has a vintage Premier jazz kit that has been sitting since the early 90s. It is FUNKY, but structurally in tact. It is missing some tension rods, some of the wrap has peeled back, but I can repair that. The difficulty. . . .as a 6 year old in the late 70s, he wanted a 5 piece. The original setup was one up, one down with an 18" bass drum. So, the kit was taken to a local music store, the original Premier mount was removed and a Yamaha two tom mount was installed. He hates himself now for having that done, but it's hard to go back. SO, the difficulty will be figuring out how to deal with the extra mount hole. I have found some celluloid in blue pearl that matches the original wrap nearly perfectly. And it's WAY cheaper than any actual advertised drum wrap.

Anyway, this is going to keep me busy for a WHILE!

This is the wrap that's on his kit. His snare is in PRINSTINE condition having been kept in a suitcase/drum case for the last 3 decades.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Usually stored ready to haul, I started setting up my main gigging kit today, as it's unlikely to be used in anger for several months. I usually have a 4 piece set up permanently for occasional practice, but decided to give the live kit an airing, & also record some stuff on it for the first time. Far from ideal recording space setup, & using mostly economical live set mic's, I'll see what comes out. Kit sounds stellar to play however, despite the room limitations.

I just need to set the mic's up properly, & it'll be ready to go.

Decided to use the ebony 13" x 7" snare too, as that rarely get's a stage outing :)

Ovangkol Origin kit front 900.jpg

Ovangkol kit side 900.jpg

Smoke

Silver Member
Probably my age and lifestyle, but this is just normal for me. I work from home, keep plenty of foodstuff handy and am not a socialite. Mrs Smoke likes to shop a bit (part of the foodstuff larder thing), so if she can get me a beer or two now and then when she's uptown, I'm okay. The drumset is in the basement, so I can hear it when it calls to me. I just hope this Covid-19 doesn't add anybody to the "Gone Too Soon" part of the forum.

drummerfish

i'm working at my 2nd job but can't work at my 1st job, which gives me time to go thru my drum parts and start selling it all off. might even sell off some drums too.

cbphoto

Gold Member
I decided to set up my entire kit, minus a few splash cymbals and the SPD-SX. It’s been a long time ‘cuz the gig kit is usually just a bass, snare, hats & cymbal.
(I covet Andy’s rack, and am saving my shillings for one).

DE6F7772-8A09-4DED-AF5C-11F4232B57FA.jpeg

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I decided to set up my entire kit, minus a few splash cymbals and the SPD-SX. It’s been a long time ‘cuz the gig kit is usually just a bass, snare, hats & cymbal.
(I covet Andy’s rack, and am saving my shillings for one).

View attachment 91211
From what I hear, Uncle Sam might help you get that rack here soon. He's gonna help me get a new roof hopefully.

Your setup looks like fun. I have my hats dead center also.