What are you doing drumwise during the lockdown?

jornthedrummer

Silver Member
Where in Malaysia are you based? I spent a lot of time working out there. I wonder if we know any of the same musicians?

What a great album. That's a good project for this extended period of isolation.
Im in KL(Bangsar) I’m sure we got common friends among the musicians here. I know many of them although I’m just a expat hobby player myself.

WhoIsTony?

Digging into parathon now. I like that it works the hands and also is musical, which is what I love about those Wilcoxon solos. You have textbook hands. There's a lot to learn just by watching how you play this stuff.
I love the Wilcoxon stuff.
... and my hands aren’t all that good by any stretch and that Reflexx pad exposes you man... 😳
But thank you Lar for the kind words.
Parathon is a fun one

drumnut87

prattling about on my practice pad, as i dont have the ability to play on a full kit at home or anywhere else atm

wraub

:)

Actually, I think I need something with more rebound, this pad is dead enough already.
Plus, I've had it for years, I may just be bored and want something new.

Throw a snare reso head over a pillow. You’ll love your pad after you try to play clean rudiments on that lol

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
:)

Actually, I think I need something with more rebound, this pad is dead enough already.
Plus, I've had it for years, I may just be bored and want something new.
I recommend having a pillow with a head on it next to a RealFeel. Switching back and forth between them every few seconds is a help .

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Should have it's name changed to NotEvenCloseToRealFeel.

Around these parts they'e so expensive that you can get a really good one for pretty much the same price. It's a lifetime investment if you get the rgiht one.

Snare drums are great, that's what we play(amongst other things), but most of us need options for travel, early mornings, late evenings or simply for practicing at home if the kit is somewhere else. Because of low volume and the ability to work on details without headphones on, it's sometimes a better choice.

I have a bunch of pads, but the main two are a Xymox laminate pad and a small Moongel(Have 4 of those.) Have a Reflexx that I haven't used too much. It's super quiet, it's main forte, but it's come back the last couple of weeks as it serves a purpose when fine tuning some parts of my left hand matched grip. So does my L80 ride.

Have 10-15 rubber pads. Most of the usual suspects. I mostly just bring them along if I don't have enough pads for teaching in groups. Obviously, pretty much the first thing I ask for at a new school is enough pads to work with all the students simultaneously.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
...The RealFeel is one I'm looking at, actually.
They are awesome. You can use the bouncy side for speed and control, the other side for endurance.

I like to use the edges of mine also to simulate moving the stick around. It gives a distinct zone to aim for where a round pad has just one edge.

I really think practice pads are kinda crud. I practice on my snare.....that's what I use when I play.
Ben I used to feel the exact same way. I would use the pad with my teacher, then only use the kit. And I would always end up distracted and play something else, not getting as far as I should have. I love the pad now. I can work on anything anywhere as long as I have it.

wraub

I've been using my 13" foot tom for my small kit, but today I dug the 20" kick out of the garage, and used it instead.

I'm not complaining. ;) :)

wraub

Unsure how to multi-quote...

But, I am definitely wanting a non-round practice pad, and definitely wanting more rebound and responsiveness than I currently have.

I need a new practice pad and a stick bag, and I'm good. :D

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Working on #6 around my kit. No cymbals, no hats. Only snare & toms while the bass keeps time with half-notes.

View attachment 91168

The struggle is real.
What is that from? I ask because it's just a paradiddle started 5/8 of the way through. I would think if you could play a paradiddle, this should be pretty simple.

Not trying to be snarky either. All I see is the exercise, not the words on the page with the instructions or explanation. But upon seeing it, I immediately saw the paradiddle.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
What is that from? I ask because it's just a paradiddle started 5/8 of the way through. I would think if you could play a paradiddle, this should be pretty simple.

Not trying to be snarky either. All I see is the exercise, not the words on the page with the instructions or explanation. But upon seeing it, I immediately saw the paradiddle.
Looks like p5 from Stick Control. Inverted paradiddle.

cbphoto

Gold Member

Exercise #6 from Stick Control.(edit: I dunno the page cuz it’s the only one I work on).
Accent on the 1.
Then, after a few beers, I try 3/4 time sig and try to feel the triplets over the 4-note phrases. The beer defiantly helps me sound better.