What are these for? (Pic)

Copeland

Screenshot_20200813-073902~3.pngI have not seen a screen setup like this. Most times, the clear screen covers the bass drum too. I have never known what these are for. Are they supposed to isolate the drum sound being mic'd from the rest of the band?? Also it looks he has cymbal fasteners holding his screen in place. ????

The drummer is Butch Vig, of the band Garbage. He is also a producer and produced Nirvana's Nevermind album and Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream album.

Most of the time it's to pick up the sound more accurate and to reduce bleed in other microphones (mostly the singer his/hers mic)

Mic bleed and stage volume are the two main reasons for one. This one obviously focuses primarily on the cymbals. Pretty clever use of cymbal arms, IMO.

Does Butch play guitar at these gigs? Curious about the picks on the splash cymbal stand.

I see them being used in churches even when the drums aren't mic'd. In that case, are they just trying to control volune?

Mic bleed and stage volume are the two main reasons for one. This one obviously focuses primarily on the cymbals. Pretty clever use of cymbal arms, IMO.

Does Butch play guitar at these gigs? Curious about the picks on the splash cymbal stand.

I dont know what the guitar picks are for. I assumed they were just handy backups that anyone in the band would have easy access to. IDK if Butch plays guitar.

I see them being used in churches even when the drums aren't mic'd. In that case, are they just trying to control volune?

In short; yes ;)

I dont know what the guitar picks are for. I assumed they were just handy backups that anyone in the band would have easy access to. IDK if Butch plays guitar.

It just looks like they are on the inside of the screen so they didn't seem too convenient for anyone not behind the kit. I thought maybe he grabbed a guitar on some songs. I'm not that familiar with Garbage. I mean, other than what I take to the curb once a week for pick up......and my sense of humor.

Edited to delete tasteless joke. Thanks for not quoting that, mikyok.

Last edited:
Seems like I remember Butch in an interview saying that Garbage like to have a "silent" stage. All monitors are IEM's, and there are no amps on the stage. His drums are usually muffled and triggered as well.

Bit of info about this (Butch Vig/Garbage) ......
I didn't know his kit was all triggers. His toms are filled with packing chips to kill the sound. Vig's shield looks custom made.

From Wiki-

"Garbage operated a "quiet stage" by removing wedges, side-fills and live backline from their stage set-up. The absence of monitors meant zero stage volume - if the P.A. was switched off the only audible elements would be Manson's voice and the cymbals; and no monitor volume - instead, the band utilised Sennheiser IEMs to monitor their live sound.

The use of digital technology in the band's in-ear mixes and F.O.H. mix meant that instead of a multitude of manual settings needing restored at each soundcheck, the band's FOH and monitor engineers only had to recall the last session from the previous night.

Each performance was recorded in the DSD format by taking a data dump from the mixing console at 24-bit/48k and saving the wave file onto disc for future reference.

Drum triggers were used extensively because Butch Vig's drum kits are silenced by filling the hollow interiors of the bass, snares and tom-toms with packing chips to enable the samplers to use drum sounds from studio versions.

The cymbals were miked to capture their sound. To prevent the sound of the cymbals bleeding into Shirley Manson's vocal feed, the cymbals were insulated by a wrap-wround acrylic glass shield. To keep the stage lead-free, all electric and bass guitars sported wireless units. Guitar sounds were run through effects units direct to the soundboard; Manson also used a wireless mic. The band had performed in this fashion since the start of the Version 2.0 tour."

Necessity is usually the Mother of Invention but sometimes the necessity is from invention.

You can pick up some slick ones that designed for this same thing now:

Attachments

• sound baffles.JPG
    sound baffles.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 9

I haven't gone so far as to have picks on one of my stands, but I do have picks in my gear bag, as our guitar player has the ability to somehow lose the one he is playing with and have no others available :)

Maybe a giant graphene man-size ball. Like a hamster play ball you put them in. Put your kit on wheels in there so you can safely roll ball and drums out to truck. Man if you could motorized the kit board you could play your drums while flying around inside the ball like motorcycles. Heck yeah the graphene is stronger than steel so should hold up. Add lights to your kit flying around too. Hot dang add the technology where you turn the ball into a speaker like those glass window ones. I had a prophetic dream of the future and I saw motorized drummers in hamster balls . What does the dream mean?

Maybe a giant graphene man-size ball. Like a hamster play ball you put them in. Put your kit on wheels in there so you can safely roll ball and drums out to truck. Man if you could motorized the kit board you could play your drums while flying around inside the ball like motorcycles. Heck yeah the graphene is stronger than steel so should hold up. Add lights to your kit flying around too. Hot dang add the technology where you turn the ball into a speaker like those glass window ones. I had a prophetic dream of the future and I saw motorized drummers in hamster balls . What does the dream mean?
Your mind is wonderful

First saw perspex screens at an Eagles tribute band.
If you can't get the sound right without putting the drummer in a godawful box, please - call the gig off.

Are those homemade? maybe thats why they are only that size, he had some Plexiglas laying around. The reason i wonder is the way they are mounted with all the boom arms through it. Ive never seen a setup like that but it seems like a weird way to mount it.

Back