What are the simplest songs you play that you love?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
So many drummers love complexity and enjoy showing off the hottest licks and chops. In contrast, I enjoy hearing a solid back beat and musical support more than anything. I think that this is one of the reasons I enjoy playing country music so much. One of my favorites we are playing now is "The Fireman" by George Strait. I don't think I hit the ride cymbal the whole time, and I only crash a few times. The rest of the time I just play the money beat as straight as an arrow. It's so simple, but it's such a fun song.

What's the simplest song you enjoy playing?

I'm always reluctant to think of any song as "simple." That's neither a sarcastic statement nor a renunciation of the thread's premise. What I mean is that the most mechanically elementary drum pattern can disguise exquisite and elusive feel, presenting a complex product in a dressed-down package. Some of the best drum parts I've heard involve straightforward beats propelled by magnificent execution. The concept of simplicity can be deceptive in that sense.

"So many drummers love complexity and enjoy showing off the hottest licks and chops. In contrast, I enjoy hearing a solid back beat and musical support more than anything. I think that this is one of the reasons I enjoy playing country music so much."

I'm with you there, @PorkPieGuy .

Definitely. Holding back is sometimes much more demanding than riddling a song with frills. Discipline and restraint can be a lot more impressive than agile chops.
Yes! x3. I quite enjoy playing simply but making it feel fantastically groovy. Most often this involves focusing on laying back, playing relaxed and behind the beat. When the bass player comes along with me for the ride and we're grooving like this, there's nothing better. But to say playing like this is easy would be mistaken.

Everything glam rock from 83-89. Most of those songs are simple but a lot of fun to play. It was also the musical era I grew up in . Its funny that behind those massive double bass, gazillion tom kits sits a simple groove that requires1/5 of the drums toured to be played. The excess of the 80s was awesome :)

Last edited:
I used to love playing this simple track with my band...very straight all the way through... :)

My fave cover to play for simplicity was probably Foreigner’s “Double Vision”...or The Stones’ “Brown Sugar”...:unsure:(y)

man...there are too many to list, but off the top of my head:

Dynamite - Jamiroquai
Rock With You - Michael Jackson
Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck - Prong
Saved By Zero - The Fixx
If I Ever Lose My Mind - Sting
Flight Of Icarus - iron Maiden
The Girl's Got Rhythm - AC/DC
So What - Miles Davis
Highway Patrol - Junior Brown
The Wanderer - Dion & The Belmonts
La Grange or Tush - ZZ Top

I use these to try to get real solid in different kinds of styles

Another good tune by The Fixx "Red Skies at Night"

I actually play along to the whole Reach The Beach album a lot...i love that whole thing

Back