What are the simplest songs you play that you love?

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
man...there are too many to list, but off the top of my head:

Dynamite - Jamiroquai
Rock With You - Michael Jackson
Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck - Prong
Saved By Zero - The Fixx
If I Ever Lose My Faith - Sting
Flight Of Icarus - iron Maiden
The Girl's Got Rhythm - AC/DC
So What - Miles Davis
Highway Patrol - Junior Brown
The Wanderer - Dion & The Belmonts
La Grange or Tush - ZZ Top

I use these to try to get real solid in different kinds of styles

Fixed....and it's as good an example as any because if it was easy everyone would sound just as good playing it. They don't.

Rotarded

Anything by the Stones, Charlie Watts is the master of keeping it simple and serving the song
Agreed, yet many cover band drummers do not understand, or cannot execute, playing behind the beat. Something that Charlie does masterfully creating "feel" that is often missing in covers.

Last edited:

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

The entire Dogman album by King's X

Tom Petty

Anton Fig on various Joe Bonamassa albums

and/or Gretchen Goes to Nebraska...I LOVE playing to that album!!!

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Fixed....and it's as good an example as any because if it was easy everyone would sound just as good playing it. They don't.

duh....thanks...I was "multi tasking" in my brain while typing and talking to someone here at work...

and it does have this super-delayed dotted eighth/16th feel that is almost morphing into a triplet shuffle feel, but isn't really because of the placement of the snare....at least to my ears. Or: It is the "squarest" triplet shuffle feel...the chorus sort of "spreads out" to more of a true triplet feel...but just sort of

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
12 bar blues always give me a break in our set list. Very predictable patterns vocals usually 2 verses then I fill to instrumental solos etc. back to more vocal verses. Repeat as needed. Fun. Audiences love the blues. easy to play there isn't anything expected of me except to shuffle/fill/shuffle/fill.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
man...there are too many to list, but off the top of my head:

Dynamite - Jamiroquai
Rock With You - Michael Jackson
Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck - Prong
Saved By Zero - The Fixx
If I Ever Lose My Mind - Sting
Flight Of Icarus - iron Maiden
The Girl's Got Rhythm - AC/DC
So What - Miles Davis
Highway Patrol - Junior Brown
The Wanderer - Dion & The Belmonts
La Grange or Tush - ZZ Top

I use these to try to get real solid in different kinds of styles
How many of these, in OP's criteria, qualify as "never hit the ride cymbal, only crash a few times, rest of the time just play the money beat as straight as an arrow."

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

How many of these, in OP's criteria, qualify as "never hit the ride cymbal, only crash a few times, rest of the time just play the money beat as straight as an arrow."

I think it depends on the definition of "money beat"...b/c in my mind, there is more than one type of "money beat". I think each style/genre has it's own "money beat"

...but all of them fit the definition you mentioned...possibly the "busiest" one is Flight of Icarus

blinky

We cover lots of Police songs at the moment, Can't stand losing you is a simple but fun song to play. Next to you is another one. Sting's Seven Days is also fun to play, albeit not so easy, not for me that is. Seems to be very easy for Vinnie Colaiuta though.

bud7h4

Silver Member

AC/DC -
what do you do for money
have a drink on me
shake a leg

Nazareth - hair of the dog

Last edited:

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Pretty Woman -Roy Orbison, Time Out of Mind-Steely Dan

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Bonnie Raitt's version of John Prine's song, "Angel From Montgomery" is the first one that I thought of.

That song gives me chills

Bozozoid

This was back in the day..the tune ALWAYS went over..i wanted to do Gary Glitters Rock and roll but most band members were like really? Until we started doing it. It was one where I forever rubbed it in and said listen to the drummer boys.