What are the first 3 memorable rock concerts you attended?

In the early 80s I went to see Billy Squire and the opening act was Def Leppard with Steve Clark on guitar. Excellent concert but Poor Billy, he couldn’t hold a candle to those Leppard guys.

I got quite late into rock/metal concerts, usually listened more at home. But I believe my first ones were
1. Metallica at Valle Hovin, Norway 2007
2. Testament at Notodden (Metal Heart Festival), Norway 2007
3. Opeth at Bryggerihuset, Gothenburg, Sweden 2008.

Think I was about 23 years old at my first, so yeah, a bit late to the party....

Great minds think alike. I too have seen each tour (with the same friend) since Presto & it was the ONLY band we dropped everything to see.

Rounding out the other two include Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers (2 tours with one including Bob Dylan) & George Thorogood.
All shows are still in my head as blessed lifelong memories.

yeah, we would plan our years around Rush concerts...vacation/personal day request offs at work; if it was in the summer, the trips to the shows usually involved camping the week surrounding the show.

If we're talking rock only:

Iron Maiden in 1986.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers in 1989. (Chad Smith had just joined them.)

Jane's Addiction in 1997. (Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers was the bassist on that tour.)

I learned of GWAR through sheer serendipity. I was listening to an alternative station one night in 1990 when the DJ offered GWAR tickets to the first caller. I'd never contacted a radio station for any reason but thought I'd roll the dice for the sake of saying I'd attained tickets in that manner. Luck was on my side, and the tickets were mine. I didn't know what to expect from GWAR, but the presentation was surprising to say the least.

Boston: Don't Look Back Tour, Nov 17, 1978, Ithaca, NY - perfect time to see them as 90% of their best work is on the first two albums!

Bruce Springsteen: The River Tour, Jan 20, 1981, Toronto, CA - They played well over 3 hours long!

Rolling Stones: Zip Code Tour, July 11, 2015, Ralph Wilson Stadium, Orchard Park, NY - It's the Stones, what else can you say?

And as a bonus, in memory of Eddie Van Halen:
Van Halen: Diver Down Tour, Oct 9, 1982, Syracuse, NY - They were in peak form back then!

Last edited:
I don't recall my first three but I definitely remember my first. It was Santana at Town Hall in NYC. Had to be late 70's. Coincidentally my drum teacher was playing with Robert Kraft who opened for them. It was an amazing show. Had decent seats in the orchestra, right side just under the balcony. For me the arena shows weren't all that memorable. My most memorable shows have been in jazz clubs.

My first one was Mountain. After that I am not sure. It was all in the mid 70s in Evansville, Indiana.

Boston: Don't Look Back Tour, Nov 17, 1978, Ithaca, NY - perfect time to see them as 90% of their best work is on the first two albums!
Did they even tour that much? That's a gem either way!!

Not Rock per se, but in order of concert, The Motown Review, 1965 Baltimore Civic Center, James Taylor 1977ish, Merriweather Post Pavillion, Columbia Md., and Billy Joel 1980, Capitol Arena

Back