What are Some of Your Favorite Sticks

After decades of playing mostly Promark, I switched to AHEAD a few years ago and never turned back. AHEAD's 5B Light Rock is now my one-and-only stick. I couldn't be happier with it. Below is a link:
Can anyone explain this feature from the ad?: Ergonomically tuned handles

I thought sticks were supposed to be round, and I always test numerous pairs of sticks at the store to get the most perfect roll across a glass or other smooth surface, something like 20 sticks to get 4 really good ones that are true and balanced. Probably not necessary with non-wood material I'm guessing...

Pretty much. Have you tried Vater? They make lovely durable sticks…:unsure::)(y)
No, the only two pairs that I've ever tried is Vic Firth 7A which are my favorite and very comfortable and 5A which are too thick although I love their performance. Next time I go stick shopping I'm going to make a list of what all you have suggested.

On second thought because they happen to be mixed in with my son's sticks I have also tried David Weckl's sticks which are thick and long... I will not be using them! Lol

Drummer_D

Are all 7A's (different brands) the same width? Also is there another wood stick other than Vic Firth that is stronger? Or is hickory wood the strongest?

Drummer_D
Agreed, pretty much everyone's 7A is pretty close. Weight, however is not consistent from one manufacturer to another. In my experience with the same model from the "big three" Vater's sticks tend to be heaviest, with Vic Firth in the middle, and Pro Mark feeling the lightest.

As far as the three most common woods, oak is the heaviest, maple is the lightest, and hickory is in the middle. Hickory is the "Goldilocks" wood for sticks.

Can anyone explain this feature from the ad?: Ergonomically tuned handles
Unlike wood sticks, which consist of a solid piece of wood carved to specific dimensions, AHEAD sticks are built in parts. Their handles are separate components, which, along with their highly flexible aluminum cores, are central to their enhanced vibration reduction and shock absorption. "Ergonomically tuned" likely translates to "fashioned for maximum comfort." AHEAD's standard of comfort departs from that of the makers of wood sticks.

Unlike wood sticks, which consist of a solid piece of wood carved to specific dimensions, AHEAD sticks are built in parts. Their handles are separate components, which, along with their highly flexible aluminum cores, are central to their enhanced vibration reduction and shock absorption. "Ergonomically tuned" likely translates to "fashioned for maximum comfort." AHEAD's standard of comfort departs from that of the makers of wood sticks.
Great explanation! I'll keep that in mind.

Drummer_D

You know a lot more about that than me and undoubtedly correct. I am in sales and that part of the ad sounds like a bunch of words to describe round to me lol. Marketing…

I bet the white thing in the butt of the stick is part of it. There are dimples on the outside of the stick that look like they hold the white part in. My guess is that white part is different size or weight depending on model. There are AHEAD models that are same everything except weight. It has to be somewhere.

I have a couple of questions because I'm just in the learning stages...

What is the difference between an acorn and round wood tip?

What is the difference between a wood and nylon tip?

Drummer_D

I have a couple of questions because I'm just in the learning stages...

What is the difference between an acorn and round wood tip?

What is the difference between a wood and nylon tip?

Drummer_D
Acorn tips are not round, more conical. Round tips have more heft. Nylon tips have livelier response imo, but can leave marks on heads and cymbals.

Wood tips can chip/splinter, whereas nylon tips really don't fail unless they come unglued. I used Billy Cobham Promark 808's back in the 80's, they were heavy, long with round wood tips. Unfortunately they were discontinued.

Last edited:
Acorn tips are not round, more elliptical. Round tips have more heft. Nylon tips have livelier response imo, but can leave marks on heads and cymbals.

Wood tips can chip/splinter, whereas nylon tips really don't fail unless they come unglued. I used Billy Cobham Promark 808's back in the 80's, they were heavy, long with round wood tips. Unfortunately they were discontinued.
Thanks for the feedback... I appreciate your knowledge.

Drummer_D

I bet the white thing in the butt of the stick is part of it. There are dimples on the outside of the stick that look like they hold the white part in. My guess is that white part is different size or weight depending on model. There are AHEAD models that are same everything except weight. It has to be somewhere.
That could very well be a factor. My knowledge of AHEAD's construction is general. I'd need to submit a series of detailed inquiries to gather the technical specifics of their production processes. Most important is that the sticks meet my approval. I'm a happy customer in that sense.

I have a very loose grip so I've used Vater 7A with stick wrap, then 5A with stick wrap. When Zildjian came out with their "dipped" stick (with a rubber coating) I used those, but they were too brittle (I might've gotten a bad batch). I then migrated to Vic Firth 5A with Vic Grip. Those would leave me with blue-stained hands, so when ProMark came out with Active Grip I switched to those and haven't looked back.

If anyone is curious about the Active Grip, I testify that it works very well. I've played in very hot & humid conditions, where my palms were sweaty from nerves and climate, and the coating functions as advertised. 👍

Acorn tips are not round, more conical. Round tips have more heft. Nylon tips have livelier response imo, but can leave marks on heads and cymbals.

Man I bought a bunch of the Vic Firth Cobhams on closeout they are long heavy suckas.

Man I bought a bunch of the Vic Firth Cobhams on closeout they are long heavy suckas.
I’d love to get a pair or two from you if you aren’t using them!!!

That could very well be a factor. My knowledge of AHEAD's construction is general. I'd need to submit a series of detailed inquiries to gather the technical specifics of their production processes. Most important is that the sticks meet my approval. I'm a happy customer in that sense.
I certainly tried to find a video of how they are made but to no avail. I too am a happy camper regarding AHEAD.

Back