What are my options for what I want to do?

ManosMax13

I have an acoustic drumset and I really like it. However I am not able to play anytime of the day other than afternoon (because of loudness) in which I have lessons. Is there a way to turn an acoustic drumset to electronic but still being able to get it back to accoustic easily when I want it, without chanings heads for example, or should i purchase a cheap 400 dollars yamaha or alesis one so I have 2 drumsets one electric and one accoustic?

V-Four

I have an acoustic drumset and I really like it. However I am not able to play anytime of the day other than afternoon (because of loudness) in which I have lessons. Is there a way to turn an acoustic drumset to electronic but still being able to get it back to accoustic easily when I want it, without chanings heads for example, or should i purchase a cheap 400 dollars yamaha or alesis one so I have 2 drumsets one electric and one accoustic?
I don't think there is any "EASY" way to go back and fourth between acoustic and "quiet/electronic". It can be done, Ive never seen it "easy" tho.

I think Jose has the best solution to just get electronic kit. They don't feel really the same as an A kit, but it is much better than nothing (IMO).

……. I am not able to play …. (because of loudness) ….
OK, who else thought this:

939ece865f6df5b76d285571f7d3405f.jpg

Just me then? :)

T.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Mesh heads, triggers, Alesis DM5. Don't want sound, don't turn on the DM5.

It's a crappy option, but an option that prevents head swaps and utilizes the acoustic kit per the OPs wants.

Cost wise, an e-kit is probably gonna be just as cost effective as converting the a-kit.

nolibos

Ace bandage around edge of cymbals.
Brushes on snare drum or very lightly played stick (great stick control practice).
Muted cowbell with a bass drum pedal.
Muted cowbell in place of floor tom.
Bongo drums for rack toms.
Light quiet hi hats.
That about covers it.

Otto

Platinum Member
I would consider using your money to get a storage space that does not mind the noise and practice there.

I found that practice on an electronic set was nice for working on composition...but skills between an e-kit and an acoustic kit are far more different than you might think.

Took me several months to get back some touch and subtlety on the acoustic set after spending loads of time on an e-kit due to noise issues. Glad I didn't really develop new skills on the e-kit.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
Another vote for the sound off’s - essentially circles of wetsuit material which sit on the drums, and a bass drum one with elastic straps. Also triangles which sit on the cymbals, held on at the centre. A couple of different companies make them.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
It really depends what you need from your quiet kit. For me my pad kit with L80s work better and better.

If the sounds are important, then electronic is the way. You won't get far with $400, though. An extra zero is need to get something really good.

For me it's all about feel and being able to work on indepeneance, technique and very specific conditioning. I got a full set of Super-Pads, but it varies what I use. Currently it's a Super-Pad bass drum, Xymox pad for snare, Reflexx for rack and a moongel pad that I just got a separate stand for as floor tom. I use all those three pads alone as well and they're great for travel.

If I could never play acoustic and lived in a small apartment I'd try digital, but don't feel it's quite there yet. I'm very curious about what Pearl will come up with their nect generation.