What are my drums worth and best way to sell

Drumprof

I hope this is appropriate for this forum..

Thinking of unloading a kit but honestly, I have never sold a kit.
Any suggestions on how to sell it and what I can expect to get for it?
e-bay, reverb etc...?

Yamaha, original Maple Custom (gold lugs) bop kit.
5 pieces, 10, 12, 14, 18 with matching 14 inch snare.
I believe I bought them in 1998.
Condition.. a little flaking on the 12 and snare hoops.
A small ding on the 12 close to the snare but barely noticeable.
A couple of badges look a little rough, stored in a garage for awhile, I think humidity may have just roughed them up a bit. bass hoops are great.

Gig'd quite a bit years ago but these drums are built like tanks and honestly, I have no idea what to ask for them. I don't see any maple custom bops on the market. Most everything I see is the 90's model "power" sizes.
Theses are straight ahead, floor on legs and original first generation YESS.

Natural maple color.

Thoughts, suggestions???

opentune

Platinum Member
Check Reverb, or eBay, though the latter will be inflated. Could also look around on craigslist, but that may vary by region.
Even though not in your exact sizes, some ad for Maple Customs should be out there.

Drumprof

Sold!! and keep the 50.

that gave me a chuckle. I just don't know.
I assume you can usually judge by the market you see at the time, but I don't know. I'm a teacher and have been out of the retail world for a long while.
I know many of you have bought and sold used gear. I never have.

I have only bought two kits in my life, a Tama Swingstar and then these maples when I graduated college. Both new and played this kit for the better part of 20 years.
Getting up in my 40's I found myself, getting into the market wanting to upgrade and get more recent. Purchased a set of absolute hybrid maples two years ago and a little gretsch bop last year.

Thinking of getting another Gretsch in bigger sizes for pop/rock/country stuff but would need to unload the MC's. (I have a three kit limit, per agreement with my wife).

Thinking of keeping them to teach on, but still wondering about the value and what is the best way to sell if I decided to do so.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
Did a quick googlin' and found a couple comparisons:

https://reverb.com/item/1656841-yamaha-maple-custom-absolute-ultimate-bop-jazz-drum-kit
These look new, sold for $3100

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Maple-Custom-Absolute-Bop-Kit/173163168984?hash=item28515444d8:g:~K0AAOSw~89ahzWv
Again, looks new, Sold $2000

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Maple-Custom-Absolute-Drum-Set-circa-2002-Made-in-Japan-/302761121908?oid=112979608287

Here is a more beat up one with a 20" bass that is at $800, closes in 6 days. Might be worth watching to get an idea.

Based on these, I'd say you're looking at between 1-2K, maybe a bit more from the right seller or if your is a particularly choice line or color. Just a rough estimate, hope that helps.

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
I would say you could sell them pretty quick for $1500 but you can probably get more. Those are getting a little more rare so $2000+ isn't a unfair price if the condition is good. The only thing that is would be a tough sell for you is the smaller bass drum, it might be a while before someone interested in those sizes come around

CompactDrums

Silver Member
I would say you could sell them pretty quick for $1500 but you can probably get more. Those are getting a little more rare so $2000+ isn't a unfair price if the condition is good. The only thing that is would be a tough sell for you is the smaller bass drum, it might be a while before someone interested in those sizes come around
Could also work in your favor, sure there is less demand for 18" kicks, but also less supply and the guys that want them won't compromise...

harryconway

Platinum Member
I think if you put 'em up on eBay ..... they'd easily sell. $1500 would be a good starting point, and it wouldn't surprise me if they went to $1800 or more.​

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I usually go on eBay and find similar to what I have, and then check the "completed listings" in an Advanced Search. Then you can see what kits like yours have sold like to others - it'll put you in the ball park at least. I wish you luck because the used market is sometimes weird because it's usually a buyers market because there's so many used kits being sold. You really have to find the right buyer. But if you're willing to ship, listing on eBay would be the easiest way to reach a lot of people searching.

brentcn

Platinum Member
Now here's a kit with class! Shine 'em up, set them up like you'd actually play them, and take the best pictures you can. You'll probably get $2000, even with the cosmetic issues.

That's a nice kit. And 18" kicks are very much in vogue.

Drumprof

It is a very classy looking kit. Natural maple gloss with the small original maple custom gold lugs. When I get some time here soon I’ll post pics of my kits.
The maple Customs
The Absolute Hybrids
The black Gretsch USA bop
And my soon to arrive ginger ale glass USA pop

Thanks for the reply’s my brothers. Very helpful.
Now I just have to figure out what this Pay Pal thing is.

I’m a little deficient on such things.

wildbill

Platinum Member
It is a very classy looking kit. Natural maple gloss with the small original maple custom gold lugs. When I get some time here soon I’ll post pics of my kits.
The maple Customs
The Absolute Hybrids
The black Gretsch USA bop
And my soon to arrive ginger ale glass USA pop

Sounds like you have some very nice kits.

In regards to selling the Maple Customs, I'd just say remain optimistic, realistic, and patient.
People who may be considering your set will most likely also be looking at other currently made kits available at whatever price you list yours for.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I've got a similar set in ebony and it's just killer. The 14x6 snare is one of my favorites. The Japanese collectors love these kits. Set up an auction with international shipping and see what happens.

DaleClark

I think the kit would sell pretty quick. One thing you may want to try before placing on online, etc...try Craigslist or see if a local drum/music store will sell on consignment. Some shops do 10% fee if you want a store credit or 20% if you want the cash.

Packing and shipping drums are a pain. Plus, you need to document every aspect on the auction (roundness, etc). Ebay buyers, from my experience, are a coin flip nowadays, even with expensive items. Plus, Ebay will side, generally, with buyer 90% of the time. I had an auction for an audio component and I specifically checked "US shipping only" and stated numerous times in description US shipping no exceptions. Well I did ship to a customer in the US. However, it must have been a "transaction" shipper for a foreign buyer. Of course buyer had issues (voltage was for US, not Europe)...ebay sided with buyer and I got piece returned in a poorly packaged in a different box from what I originally sent and ebay charged my paypal for refund. I appealed...NOTHING!!

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Selling a kit on line and then shipping is a PITA. Shipping prices are very high now. Shipping a 14" snare drum from east coast to west coast is $35. You'll have to be creative in how you package (nesting) and then you'll need to be VERY careful in packing and protecting them so buyer gets them in same condition as before they were packed. Shipping a kit could easily cost you $200 or more depending on where you and buyer are, and how you pack. That adds to your asking price.

Best advice is use Craigslist locally. Don't ask top dollar; if you take $500 less for a local buyer that may well be worth the time effort hassle of shipping.

I have sold several kits on Reverb and never shipped them. I live in Louisville and were within a few hours of Indy, Cincy, Nashville, Chicago, and St Louis. I had all those buyers either come to Louisville or meet me half-way. They all paid in advance. If you live somewhere like that, or in a large city like NYC Chi Atlanta Miami Orlando Tampa Dallas Denver LA or SF or someplace similar, promote the sale for local pick up or meet within 180 miles and offer discount for local sale (free shipping) for local or meet-up. Price it at way low price don't try and get premium dollar. That is what I would do.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
For starters you can list your kit here on Drummerworld Forum in the Classified section.

Facebook Marketplace is a great local selling tool within a 20 to 100 mile radius of your location.

There is also a Yamaha Drummers User Group on Facebook.

Otherwise Reverb and eBay reach a broad buyer's market. Downside are the fees but you might be able to sell your kit quicker on either if you need the cash sooner than later.

My last major eBay sell was my daughter's 5 piece ddrum kit. It sold within 3 hours as a local pick up only. The buyer owned a recording studio and had an identical ddrum kit
and had been trying several years to locate a matching second kit. He drove over 700 miles to pick them up and brought all his own cases to transport them in.

Not sure what your drums are worth, but sometimes you can make more selling each drum separately if you have the patience to wait for each component to sell.

DaleClark

Selling a kit on line and then shipping is a PITA. Shipping prices are very high now. Shipping a 14" snare drum from east coast to west coast is $35. You'll have to be creative in how you package (nesting) and then you'll need to be VERY careful in packing and protecting them so buyer gets them in same condition as before they were packed. Shipping a kit could easily cost you $200 or more depending on where you and buyer are, and how you pack. That adds to your asking price.

Best advice is use Craigslist locally. Don't ask top dollar; if you take $500 less for a local buyer that may well be worth the time effort hassle of shipping.

I have sold several kits on Reverb and never shipped them. I live in Louisville and were within a few hours of Indy, Cincy, Nashville, Chicago, and St Louis. I had all those buyers either come to Louisville or meet me half-way. They all paid in advance. If you live somewhere like that, or in a large city like NYC Chi Atlanta Miami Orlando Tampa Dallas Denver LA or SF or someplace similar, promote the sale for local pick up or meet within 180 miles and offer discount for local sale (free shipping) for local or meet-up. Price it at way low price don't try and get premium dollar. That is what I would do.
Good point...local pickup only is an option with online auctions. I'd drive 4 or 5 hours to pick up a drum set to avoid the shipping