What are current trends that you like?

AMSVTAV_Giant.jpg

Where Ampeg and their B15 bass amp lived for decades! It'll interesting to walk around NAMM and actively seek out little bass amps. I'll bet they'll be all over the place!

Touche. Yes the Ampeg 8x10 refrigerator still seems to be the standard, but I suppose my point was more about how the market has many more micro amp/class D options with corresponding miniature cabinets than it used to. I mean I remember how a bass cab with only 8" speakers was considered a toy--now it's sensible!

I like it that we can post our music online now. We couldn't distribute music nearly as easily and cheaply in 1970.

Electronic drums, even inexpensive edrum kits have practical, giggable sounds.

We can research gear, hear samples of cymbal sounds, get opinions much better today because of online connections.

No, I thought the B15 was the tiny combo everybody used? It has the head that you pulled out of the cabinet? That’s what I was talking about.

oh...I had an Ampeg 2x15 back in the 80's...it must have scarred me

No, I thought the B15 was the tiny combo everybody used? It has the head that you pulled out of the cabinet? That’s what I was talking about.
You are correct. Sewing machine style. I check pawn shops for them every time I drive by one. It's nothing I need, but I need it. One day. My Rumble 500 was a $75 score from one of those pawn shop peak ins.

I like the continuing minimalist trend, three piece kit with a couple of quality cymbals. And the new aluminum hardware kits look interesting. The Yamaha HW-3 is 17lbs total for 2 cymbal stands, hi hat stand and snare stand.

I don’t know of many specific style trends but I like jazz hop, if that’s a trend.

Oh we all totally misunderstood you. Yeah, so that corner of the market is a bit wider now with many more options. Which is awesome, cause bass amps can be beasts!

Maybe it's just me, but it seems there are more smaller, boutique drum-related stores popping up. Places that aren't in strip malls, but 1/2 of a 2-family, an older smaller home, or the like. They aren't trying to be the biggest drum shop ever, but have a focused market. In the Cincy area we have Badges Drum Shop (in Mason, OH) and The Cymbal House (in Covington, KY).

Also, Add me to the list of people who appreciate YouTube. I'm more of a visual learner and after a 15 year break from playing, getting back into things and learning new fills was so much easier by being able to see someone play them rather than just hearing it.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems there are more smaller, boutique drum-related stores popping up. Places that aren't in strip malls, but 1/2 of a 2-family, an older smaller home, or the like. They aren't trying to be the biggest drum shop ever, but have a focused market. In the Cincy area we have Badges Drum Shop (in Mason, OH) and The Cymbal House (in Covington, KY).

Also, Add me to the list of people who appreciate YouTube. I'm more of a visual learner and after a 15 year break from playing, getting back into things and learning new fills was so much easier by being able to see someone play them rather than just hearing it.

sweet...might have to stop by Badges....that is just an hour south of me

This isn't mine, but I like ugly expensive snares that ring like church bells. LOL

Attachments

• vk snare.jpg
    vk snare.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 14
As others mentioned, the fact that now you can see what other drummers do slow it down, and take the time to learn basically they way a company produced drum method used to teach it. Millions of free lessons and advice. gear reviews.
Online forums such as this, none of that existed just a few years ago. again as mentioned before the used gear market has exploded, I found a Gibraltar rack with 16 clamps for $250, yes, I had to drive an hr to go get it, but had I bought everything separate, it would have been way over $600. I also found a 7 piece drumset for $300 which came with a direct drive single pedal, 2 cymbal stands, a snare stand, a snare bag, barely used Evans heads , an extra set of used Remo heads, and it happens to actually sound great, the guy was selling it because he had a smaller set and this one was taking too much space... So, yes you can find great things if you look often, and of course, if you have the $$ to buy them when they show.
Drum cover videos. I think that in a way people get to see others enjoying playing, and sometimes doing a good job, it inspires them to begin,or to improve their playing. It also exposes people to music that they might never have heard otherwise.

The hardware gets better and better all the time, even on cheap kits.

The nearly infinite selection of cymbals available today is both a blessing and a curse (what to choose?). When I started I was in heaven with a few Zildjian A's, and now I can't figure out which of 23 varieties of 18" crash would work best with my sonic palette.

As someone who's relatively tone-deaf, the Tune-Bot changed my life and brought a measurable and repeatable approach to drum tuning. Despite what many people say, tuning is not an art, it's a science. Selecting what tuning to use in a particular musical situation is where the art comes in.

The internet has revolutionized musical education, like is has almost everything else. I can in 10 minutes find about 50 different exercises to help me with that I want to improve. Sadly, I still need a teacher to tell me which one to choose, how often to practice it, for how long each time, and when to move on to something else. But I'm sure someone's working on that.

1 Drumeo is out of control with all the free Hour Long!!! lessons from everybody you ever heard of or not.

2 Easy access to and general heightened awareness of "the grid." I am against grid fascism but awareness is crucial.

3. I hope the internet is just a trend, but that I was here to see it.

I like how easy it is to make a good audio recording.

I like how drum heads are so friggin stable in all kinds of environments (I grew up on calfskin heads ? ).

I like how modern hardware never fails.

I like how quickly a new thread following this one will be asking: What are the current trends you dislike?

it's inevitable...

I like how easy it is to make a good audio recording.

I like how drum heads are so friggin stable in all kinds of environments (I grew up on calfskin heads ? ).

I like how modern hardware never fails.

I have natural hide heads on most of my snares and kicks. But I agree, it’s nice to at least have the option to play either plastic or natural heads. And outside gigs are a total mess with hide heads, as you know.

I like how quickly a new thread following this one will be asking: What are the current trends you dislike?

it's inevitable...

I get what you're saying, but opinions focusing on the negative don't have to be derogatory. As I said in another thread, not liking something is just as natural as liking something. I make buying decisions, for example, based on positive and negative reviews.

Back