What are considered "cheap" cymbals?

Hi all, I am doing research on acoustic drum gear as I am still learning on an electric kit. From my research, I have gathered that new players are advised to stay away from cheap cymbals. But what exactly is considered "cheap cymbals"? Is there a certain price range to start with? Are cymbal packs a bad idea?

Thanks for any advice or info you contribute! :)

Old Dog new Cans

"Usually", cymbals made with B8 bronze (92% copper, 8% tin)--tend to be considered cheaper. B20 bronze (80 percent copper, 20 percent tin) are more expensive, tend to sound better, are more sought after.

Packs aren't bad. Many will prefer hearing cymbals individually. And there are SO MANY used great cymbals out there. You can usually find what you need/want for used/cheaper.

"Usually", cymbals made with B8 bronze (92% copper, 8% tin)--tend to be considered cheaper. B20 bronze (80 percent copper, 20 percent tin) are more expensive, tend to sound better, are more sought after.

Packs aren't bad. Many will prefer hearing cymbals individually. And there are SO MANY used great cymbals out there. You can usually find what you need/want for used/cheaper.
Ok, thanks! Do most players stick with the same brand or do players generally mix and match?

yammyfan

There are too many cymbals to list but in general be wary of terms like "budget" "value" "starter" "budding" "beginner" "entry" etc. when reading the vendor or manufacturer's description of the product.

Manufacturers will often try to convince you that their cheap stuff isn't cheap sounding but I've never found that to be true. I've never heard a "budget" cymbal that didn't sound like one. Cymbals are the #1 thing not to skimp on when it comes to outfitting a drum kit.

Here's an example of the kind of marketing to be aware of:

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Even cheaper than B8 is brass. Those are just targets. There is also nickel silver. Sometimes it sounds good. Sometimes it doesn't. I wouldn't say it's better or worse than B8, just different.

The "good" cymbals people refer to are usually B20. There are exceptions.

Reactions: Jml

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
One exception that comes to mind with B8 is the Paiste 2002 cymbal line A professional line of cymbals. they sound great for certain applications, aren't 'cheap' financially, but have been on the market for so long you can find some used ones in good condition at a fair price.

Cymbal packs weren't available when I started out but they seem to be a good place to get started, you may also find a real gem inside one of those boxes.
I'd start with a few versatile cymbals of good quality as a starting place to build from and then branch out as your tastes develop or needs change.

Last edited: