What amp should I get for backing tracks?

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
My little 10w amp died last night when my friend decided to sing through it.. So I need a new amp.. What would be powerful enough to play backing tracks with? Any recommendations?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Not sure what's available in your part of the world, but out here places like the Guitar Center and Sam Ash sell these little 4-channel PA systems consisting for the powered amp and mixer and two speakers each with a 10" woofer and a horn for about $200. Those are perfect for playing tracks through and it could handle microphones too. It's not super powerful but I think adequate for what you want to do. The names out here are Phonic, or Harbinger.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Fender Passport 500 Pro. Just ad a sub woofer and it is perfect for backing tracks.
It even has a mem card port to both record and play the backing tracks.
When your singer bud comes over he can sing through it too.
Here is a thread that I started about it that didn't catch on. http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92804
I use one of these with the Passport as a personal monitor. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/nady-pm-200a-powered-personal-stage-monitor
You could also play your tracks directly through this powered monitor amp.

Last edited:

john gerrard

Dre, I just bought a used Simmons Da200s. It is made for Simmons electronic kits as a monitor but would be great for what you are looking for. I bought mine to use if I ever wanted to mic my cajon. But I found out what an amazing little piece of equipment it is. It's rated at 200 watts. It has a 12 sub with a 100 watt amp and it has two 6 inch speakers and two tweeters each with their own 50 watt amp. It also has a jack for MP3 players and the sound quality is first class. It has two channels, one with tone controls, a headphone jack. and a mic output that you can run through a PA. I got it used for $150.00. Like I said if you can find one (brand new they run around $325 ) it would be just what you need. John

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I got excited about the PA thing but the simmons is probably more in my budget right now.

Will see if I can find one in Australia for a half decent price.

Thanks!

JustJames

Platinum Member
I use my iPod through this tower-style docking station. It works well, is loud enough, sound quality is OK rather than great. The drawback would be that it's limited to iPods.

From memory I bought mine via the 'bay for about half of the listed price.

richkenyon

Silver Member
I use my Roland PM30 amp. It's a great piece of equipment, albeit rather heavy. It does have detachable wheels however & aux speakers.

longgun

Gold Member
If you can find a decent Roland KC 500 series keyboard amp, I think that would work for you..............I used to use it to amplify my e-kit and it worked great.