What amp is best for electronic sets?

Jayson

Are amps brand specific? Can you use any amp (guitar etc.) for a set? Of course, just cause you can use them, that doesn't mean it's the best for them, maybe.

It should be a full range amplifier that is designed to handle highly dynamic SPL. Common guitar amps tend to perform poorly due to this.

My 2¢:

Consider a purpose-built edrum amp, but be open to something that doubles it's usefulness. IE: Consider getting a powered monitor (wedge with a near-field loudspeaker) or budget PA.

If you already have loudspeakers, and just need an amp, I would recommend something with clip protection, sufficient reliability, and enough overhead for the intended purpose. IE: 200w RMS will work in the basement, but not the club.

When in doubt, the answer is always Yamaha.

Last edited:
My 2p ;)

No amp that pretends to be a "drum" amp is any good ;)

You can use any amp, but it won't mean they'll sound any good.

Anything "works" but you'll destroy anything without at least a 12" woofer.

You haven't told us what the intended use is, so:
  • Practice - headphones.
  • Rehearsal - headphones! Or if you must use speakers, get a general purpose PA mixer/amp and a pair of PA speakers with 12"+++ woofers, on stands, tweeters at ear height (test with the Prodigy's Firestarter at full pelt.). Systems are available for next-to-nothing on your local second hand site (dunno where you are)
  • Gig - the house PA.

I've had really good luck with my Roland PM-1's. They're discontinued, but Roland still has a line of amps for their V-drums.

Probably best approach would be "how much money can you spend"?

Once you name a budget .....

Peavy KB4 and KB5 work great as Edrum amps.

It's for practice and making videos. The budget is 0 to $150 and used is fine.

How do they compare to KB1 2, and 3 for eDrums?

The larger models obviously have more power (watts) and more capable speakers. I've only listened to the 4 and 5. They pack a punch. Very heavy but they have casters and retractable handle.

Specific baran and model I coldn't tell you, but electric guitar and bass amps are made to have a pretty narrow and instrument specific frequency range.

If you want to record electronic drums, go direct.

I LOVE the powered speakers from EV, specifically their 15" powered loudspeakers. They're probably a bit above what you want to spend, but they're loud and have lots of low-end. I didn't use them for my e kit, rather, as wedge monitors for a band I played with.

Also, worth looking at is that newer Alesis e drum monitor. Can't say if it sounds good, but I'll bet your local GC has one on display now.

I bought this for around $115 used:

Coolmusic DK-35 35 Watt Personal Monitor PA Amplifier

It's supposed to be tested for electronic drums.

The Roland KC-990 will do everything you need without distortion. And, if you still have room in your truck, you can add a second Roland amp for a full stereo performance.

kc-990_angle_gal.jpg

I've tried a bunch of those "amps" in the music stores and was disappointed. I'm usually disappointing with the sound out of the PA system too. If you spend HOURS and HOURS EQing every drum/cymbal you can get it to sound "ok"

The best results I have had are with a pair of 8 inch studio monitors, and a 10 inch sub. I have never heard the VST's sound so good. You could go smaller or bigger to your hearts content, but studio monitors are meant for a more accurate sound.

I bought a used Simmons 50 watt amp and I'm quite happy with it. It's not great but for $125 or something like that it's pretty darn good. My son has a 200 watt Simmons amp I think it's 200. And that thing is killer , a lot more money though

Combo amps are nowhere near as good as a full range PA with speakers on stands. And you don't need to spend big to get a PA.

I don't know what the "best" is, but I just picked up a Simmons DA2012b so I could play without headphones occasionally and for $270, I'm quite pleased. Nice bluetooth receiver built-in for a wireless play-along option, too.

if you want a convenient and affordable drum amp for rehearsing and practice, use a bass guitar amp.

(i'll just pause for the inevitable torrent of abuse...)

Don't take my word for it, just look at the frequency ranges. A drum kit goes from about 60-90Hz for the kick drum to maybe 5kHz for the tinniest hi-hat sound. A typical four-string bass starts at about 40Hz, so plenty of room at the bottom end, while its highest harmonic (overtone) will also be about 5kHz. E-drummers are missing a trick here. Ideally get one with EQ or at least bass, ideally middle and treble controls, as you'll need to mix the output frequencies in a drum-friendly way (not as obvious as it seems and varies according to individual amps). I've used a 10-15w bass practice combo for front-room rehearsals for years.

Back