What about remo drums?

Somewhat late in my post but I only want to remark that Remo drums are made in USA in their California factory. The shells which they call Acousticon (220, 316, R, etc) are made of wood resins as far as I know. I own a Bravo kit for about 18 years, they still sound great, specially the bass drum, hardware is still very good, and they have had excellent response towards humidity which is a very important factor depending on the place you leave in (like my country).
Where's your country?

Yep, basically resin impregnated cardboard-like material. Had two kits back in the 80s-90s and actually got some pretty good sounds out of them. The snare wasn't my favorite, but the kick and toms sounded good. Remo endorsers like Bellson, Bozio, Lawson, Emory, etc used them at the time.

I actually wish I still had my Legero kit. I used to strap it on my back and ride to rehearsals on my bike, LOL!

Had a trio of 6/8/10” chrome Remo rototoms back in the 80’s to compliment the 5pc shell kit. When I recently got back in to drumming with my second Tama kit, I found another set of Remo rototoms 6&8”to add to the shells. They take up less space than shells and I think they are fabulous for the money. Always looking for something else to hit and these things take everything I throw at em. Remo heads of course.

I think those are Encore series drums with Powersnaps lugs.

They are, and with hardware made out of a combination of snot and cream cheese. They were fine sounding drums, particularly the bass drums, which were fabulous, but I lost count of the number we saw in the shop with stripped hardware bolts and broken lugs. Those 8" snares were atrocious as well, though the shallower drums sounded much much better, especially the piccolo. The only person I ever knew to get a decent sound out of the 8" version put a Falam head on it and cranked hard, with the predictable result that the shell collapsed after a couple of months.

From Remos site, just do folks can stop guessing and speculating exactly what Acousticon is:

"Acousticon refers to Remo's shell material used on the majority of world percussion products that are produced in the Remo Inc. factory.
It is made from multiple thin plies of 100% recycled wood-fiber materials, laminated under pressure into a solitary tubular structure. Each drum-shell is impregnated with special resins to aid-in leaving moisture out, and then given a special 'acousticon' coating inside for optimal tone/acoustic qualities.

Acousticon utilizes high technology in its construction perhaps more than any previous drum shell. It takes the best qualities of wood and betters them for incredible consistency allowing unparalleled pitch, timbre, and projection. The continuous, one-piece wrap of Acousticon makes for a denser, better sounding drum. Because of its "uni-body" construction, there are no mismatched plies of wood, and all shells are constructed to exacting thicknesses, resulting in a sound with focus and articulation."

So more or less, Acousticon is pretty much MDF. Dont get it wet, dont drop it, dont over tension the heads.

Yep. It's basically resin injected cardboard, LOL!

I worked in the factory for a short time when I was a teenager and they had tubes stacked high that they'd cut to whatever depths they needed for orders. The funny thing is that you could actually get a pretty good sound out of them. Who knew? :p

Dnt get it wet, dont drop it, dont over tension the heads.

I had a kit an you could do all of that.

They are great kits, very durable with rock solid hardware.

That is the reason why it went all over the workd with big tours.

The big companies just didnt like Remo making killer kits for a fraction of the price of their kits.

From what ive heard they strong armed Remo out of the drum kit making business.

I still have a 22" bass drum and 13" (?) Tom that I picked up used at a local music store in '86 to complement my CB700 kit. The inside of the toms always looked odd to me and now I know why thanks to this thread. The drums are ok. I thought my kit was killer back then but it was just .... unique. 8/10 concert toms (cb700). The Remo tom and bass and then the standard cb700 toms and floor tom.

The Remo tom was a deep tom so my highest pitched closed tom was longer than my lowest pitched tom. Odd indeed.

I had an Encore kit with Quadura gray wrap back in 1985. 12, 13, & 16 power toms. 14x8 snare and 16x22 bass. Drums had quick snap lugs that broke at the hinge. Dynasty hardware that was junk (stripped screws and broken tom arm). Drums were so heavy. I played on them for over fifteen years. Replaced the snare early on with a Yamaha Steel after the Remo one came unglued at the bearing edge. Sold that kit and bought a discontinued Burgundy Mist Export Select.

Last edited:
Those Remo drums sounded really good. Heck, Ricky Lawson used a big double bass kit when he played for Steely Dan before he passed away years ago. I think if they used better hardware (I.e., more refined and smoother parts), I think more people would’ve played them.

Those Remo drums sounded really good. Heck, Ricky Lawson used a big double bass kit when he played for Steely Dan before he passed away years ago. I think if they used better hardware (I.e., more refined and smoother parts), I think more people would’ve played them.

And Phil Collins
1608327937405.jpeg

And Michael Jackson.
1608327958358.jpeg

Those kits saw the world many times ??

My primary kit is a white Remo Acousticon.

I've got 10,12,14,16,18 toms with a 22x16 BD.

The 14 I converted to a floor tom.

I've got G2 clear batters and G12 clear resos.

The bass drum is truly heavenly.

The 18 toms has got the conversion kit to use as a bass drum if needed.

I'll be keeping it for a while yet methinks.

The clippable lugs are a bit weird but jeez it's got some power behind it.....the whole kit does.

I've got the black coloured shell lining which I think was the MK 2 version?

It weighs a ton but man........I just love it.

I want saw Carl Palmer in a club in Orlando when he and Emerson had the band 3, and Carl’s kit was Remo. Sounded great to me. Stood right in front of him and could actually hear the drums from the stage. Then he whips out this guitar looking thing during his solo and slapped it like a bassist. Makes sense since Larry Graham invented it to sound like drums and bass at the same time.

I played a Remo kit a few years ago during a gig with did with an other band. Drummer brought his kit along. Can't remember the series, but he had muffled the drums a bit and they still had great tone and resonance. I can only imagine how they would've sounded without muffling.

Was really interested in picking up a Remo kit back then, but sadly they don't make 'm anymore.

Back