What a weird night.....a first!

Florian

Gold Member
The band was playing really well last night and after the second set during our break, this drunk guy who I have seen at our other gigs shows up and proceeds to plant himself next to our soundboard. We go on for our third and final set and this jerk gets onstage in front of our guitarist and "air-guitars" in front of him...the guitarist kinda shrugs him off and he loses interest pretty quickly....he then does it again and the bouncer grabs the guy and tells him to cut it out and to stay off the stage. He then gets back onstage in front of me and "air -drums" the bouncers again haul him off the stage and there is an exchange and they toss him out of the bar....next thing you know, this a-hole comes barging back in and pepper sprays the whole bar taking out our lead singer and sending us (the other 3 band members) scurrying out the door to fresh air as the whole place now has a haze of pepper spray hanging in it. The bouncers catch the guy, call the cops and they take him downtown. Worst part is now cleaning all my gear head to toe to get the capsaicin residue off it and the worry of this douche doing something worse in the future.....gads.

Link to story here: http://www.tmcnews.net/

Stay safe!

F

W

wy yung

What a strange industry we work in. Lucky it was only pepper spray.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
If he comes to any more of your gigs he will have to be removed and you will have to get a judge to issue an order for him to stay away from your band.
I would speak to the prosecutor who is handling his assault case from last night and see if the order can be given as part of his sentence.
You should file a civil claim against him for the damage that he did to your gear.
Make it so bad for him that he will never think of doing anything again.
He really crossed the line last night.

Last edited:

MisterZero

that sucks. I had, and I'm sure there's a thread out there on this, a similar issue at this local bar we played last month. This drunken idiot starts singing into my lead singers microphone as my singer is singing. The worst part is there is no bouncer at this place. And this guy just woiuldn't stop for like 5 minutes!! We didnt even know how to react. He finally stopped, but I was getting nervous that we'd start brawling. I'm too old for that crap.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Pretty horrible experience but there are two bright sides:

1. It was pepper spray and not a gun

2. The news article gave your band a plug :)

Travis22

WOW...that sucks man. Drunk people can really ruin some $hit if they get the chance. I too have had my run ins with stupid drunk @$$holes at shows/gigs. Nothing like being peppered spray, but I did almost have my kit shoved off the riser because a couple of wasted dudes were "moshing" on stage. If you can, invite some "bigger" friends to your shows and let them in free and camp out by the stage. We do this now, and believe me it comes in handy when the venue doesn't have bouncers on staff and people start getting stupid.

But I hope all is ok with your gear. Stuff gets rather expenesive to replace if you aren't rich...I fall into that catagory. Good luck here on out, and make sure you guys that that restraining order on that crazy dude...or just wait til he comes back and pepper spray him right back. :)

Florian

Gold Member
got the news from the Judge today that the perp has been ordered to stay away....theres no restitution as he is claiming indigence (poor) so I cant go after him for damages to my kit...

F

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
As long as he obeys the court order to stay away all should be fine.
I have dealt with a lot of drunks in my many years of playing clubs.
This guy sounds really weird to me.
I hope that he stays away!

N

nhzoso

got the news from the Judge today that the perp has been ordered to stay away....theres no restitution as he is claiming indigence (poor) so I cant go after him for damages to my kit...

F

You can still take him to small claims court and I would just to spite this dumb obviously taking advantage of the system, low life, scum bag. You have the police reports, the news paper article, and damaged equipment. If he has money to buy beer and act like a scum bag than he has money to pay even $10 a week to you till all your equipment is repaired.

Good luck with the liberal courts but ya never know you may get a judge with balls who is also tired of jackholes like this. I would do it in a heartbeat.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
got the news from the Judge today that the perp has been ordered to stay away....theres no restitution as he is claiming indigence (poor) so I cant go after him for damages to my kit.
Florian, did the pepper spray cause lasting damage? In a previous post it seemed like you just had an annoying cleanup job. Did the spray have a chemical reaction with the wrap or metal?

zakhopper316

Silver Member
Florian, did the pepper spray cause lasting damage? In a previous post it seemed like you just had an annoying cleanup job. Did the spray have a chemical reaction with the wrap or metal?
i cant say for sure, but i have a feeling it just came off with water, pepper spray is not a strong
base or acid, it actually comes from a fruit of some kind, can remember what one tho

Florian

Gold Member
Polly, no damage, just time invested in cleaning it up with soap and water....a general pain. On the bright side, everything looks new again :>

F

rcha123

When I was separated from my girl friend. and i had the show that night onle but I run away from the stage and drunken too much and spent my night in the garden to staring the stars.

brady

Platinum Member

F

Sometimes I really hate our justice system...

He's poor?! What a pathetic excuse. Then how does he afford pepper spray and enough alcohol (presumably on a regular basis) to get that drunk? He can pay for that but not damages to equipment that is HIS responsibility?!

Your band should trash his car if he shows up at your gig again. Just give the same 'we're poor...just a band trying to make it.' excuse.
You should get away with it. Just kidding... ;-)

Travis22

When I was separated from my girl friend. and i had the show that night onle but I run away from the stage and drunken too much and spent my night in the garden to staring the stars.
Are you the drunk dude that sprayed pepper spray? :)

Florian

Gold Member
UPDATE: Found out that the perp is a 3 time DUI offender as well as having a prior for drug posession....another article here (pretty much same info)
http://www.morningjournal.com/articles/2010/05/11/news/mj2723149.txt

Not sure how this is all gonna turn out....maybe some jail time due to priors....somehow he made bail (10K - 1K in cash - bailbondsman?)

BTW, the drums that got soaked were the Gretsch Cats, not the Sonors....so I dont feel as bad about it.

Thanks for the input.

F

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
When I was separated from a girlfriend, I once ran away from drinking with some stars (of TV and film variety), to spend my night doing a gig in a garden whilst staring at the stage.

True story........honest!!