What a USA Custom sounds like with 45/45 bearing edges

IBitePrettyHard

Very interesting...

It takes out some warmth, but adds tons of attack. It adds ALL of the attack, in fact. haha.

Very staccato attack, with a pleasing and ambient sustain afterwards. Kinda sounds like Canopus to me.

What do you guys think?

From the comments...

markdrumz

Yeah. I can hear that Canopus tone but I think there is slightly less sustain and resonance but stronger attack. It’s a good sounding kit to me.

TK-421

Thanks for sharing! They sound mostly like USAs to me, but with a much sharper/brighter attack. Almost like cranking up the higher frequencies in the EQ. I still prefer the rounder/warmer sound of the 30° edges though.

I haven't listened to enough Canopus drums to know their sound that well, so can't really comment on that.

Groov-E

Silver Member
A fairly experiençced tuner can get DWs, Yamaha, Tama, Ludwig, etc., really any brands and any model, pretty close to that generic sound without much effort.

I have owned many high-end drums and in the end, they all pretty much end up sounding the same.

Save your money for the important stuff.

Last edited:

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
A fairly experiençced tuner can get DWs, Yamaha, Tama, Ludwig, etc., really any brands and any model, pretty close to that generic sound without much effort.

I have owned many high-end drums and in the end, they all pretty much end up sounding the same.

Save your money for the important stuff.
Groov-E
I mostly agree with your view point on the sound of drums.
But what do you mean by "the important stuff" ? What kinds of things are "the important stuff".

Groov-E

Silver Member
Groov-E
I mostly agree with your view point on the sound of drums.
But what do you mean by "the important stuff" ? What kinds of things are "the important stuff".

Lessons and other musical ressources, good quality cymbals, replacing heads top and bottom more often, a comfy throne, gas money to go out and play with good musicians, you know, the important stuff!

Also, sports to keep you healthy, travel abroad to keep an open mind, quality time with your loved ones to keep a good balance, also important stuff that help us grow which hopefully will be reflected in our playing.

New drums are now very far down my list, because like a brand new car the novelty aspect fades pretty quickly in my case. I feel it is mostly all about tuning and I categorize myself in the 90 percent of drummer for which any quality drum set will do just fine.

Sorry for the thread highjack, I do believe the drums in the video sound good although I can't say if the 15 degree difference has a great impact on the overall sound, let alone through a PA or lost in the mix.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Would have been nice to hear a side by side comparison, but I'm not hearing that distinctive Gretsch sound with those recordings. Tough to tell, but very few makers are not doing double 45s. Good or bad, I'd stay with their signature formula, or buy a different brand with double 45s standard.

Drum_Muffin

Did you buy them that way or get them re-cut?
I bought the drums like this. There was a special limited edition series with that kind of bearing edges back in 2004. There was a rumor that many studios in the '70, re-cut the bearing edges on their USA customs to double 45. Gretsch tried to recreate that specific 70s sound.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I'm interested in how the dyed in the wool Gretsch guys compare this tone to the 30 degree edge.

ODD-ARNE!