what a night.........

jaykaydrums

Silver Member
did a gig tonight.......kinda.

first song in, asked us to turn down as we were "too loud", so we did, got to 2nd song, asked again, so we did.......repeat this to the point we had everything but vocals turned down/virtually off, they even asked if the disco could be turned down as it was "too noisy". it got so bad you could hear people coughing and walking across the wooden floor in heels louder than we were "allowed" to play at.

what we didnt know until after we'd got there and set up was it was a 70th birthday (we knew it was a birthday, but not a 70th one), and it was full of OAPs who had never heard or seen us before, and the person whose party it was had booked us because of a recommendation, NOT because theyd ever been to one of our shows and had no idea what we were like.

it got so bad to the point where my mics and all the mics on stage apart from the vocal ones were just for show, and i ended up playing with my snare wires off, i didnt touch my crashes, ride or toms for the whole 2nd set and just played hi hats, bass drum (feathering it!) and sidestick/rimclick.

pass me my coffee please........

Sounds like a real drag. I think if I'm ever in that kind of situation, just to make it fun for myself I'll cop the style of so many "live" tv music performances back in the 60s: I'll just move my arms around pretending to play but hit nothing at all.

How big was the party, and what genre music were you playing? If you didnt know until after you got there and set up it was a 70th birthday, what kind of music were you playing? Someone born 70 years ago graduated from high school in 1970. That's The Doors The Who Janis Joplin Rolling Stones etc. real old-time rock. That's not quiet. But it ain't heavy metal or punk, either. If you were not playing the kinda oldies they grew up with - the kinda songs played at their high school homecoming dance and senior prom - what exactly were you playing?

I never understand why people book a rock 'n roll band and then expect them to play at acoustic duo volume. A 70th birthday party? I know plenty of 70 year old people who still love loud, kick-ass rock 'n roll.

Sandy Nelson once told me that Phil Spector used to have a favorite response to people who told him to turn down. He just said, "Fu** you! It's rock 'n roll! It's supposed to be loud!"

My response is, "If it's too loud, you're too fu***** old." Of course, I've never said that to a club owner. But I have said the same thing in slightly different fashion.

did a gig tonight.......kinda.

first song in, asked us to turn down as we were "too loud", so we did, got to 2nd song, asked again, so we did.......repeat this to the point we had everything but vocals turned down/virtually off, they even asked if the disco could be turned down as it was "too noisy". it got so bad you could hear people coughing and walking across the wooden floor in heels louder than we were "allowed" to play at.

what we didnt know until after we'd got there and set up was it was a 70th birthday (we knew it was a birthday, but not a 70th one), and it was full of OAPs who had never heard or seen us before, and the person whose party it was had booked us because of a recommendation, NOT because theyd ever been to one of our shows and had no idea what we were like.

it got so bad to the point where my mics and all the mics on stage apart from the vocal ones were just for show, and i ended up playing with my snare wires off, i didnt touch my crashes, ride or toms for the whole 2nd set and just played hi hats, bass drum (feathering it!) and sidestick/rimclick.

pass me my coffee please........
😅😅😅!

Back