What a difference the mics make.

edwicht

Hi all!

I was just mucking about in my rehearsal space on an off day from a recording session and I thought I'd toy around with a three mic setup comparing different kinds of mics.

Here's what came of that:

Hope you're all doing alright out there!

C.M. Jones

Thanks for posting your experiment. Having worked with many sound guys over the years, I've come to see mic arrangement as an art in itself. I can't count the number of times that competent sound engineers have been able to enhance the tone and projection of my kits. I've always been more focused on playing than on the complexities of amplification, so I rely on expert assistance in the latter category.

I love your hi-hat sound. What make and model are you playing?

edwicht

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words!
And I'm 100% with you on the importance of a competent sound engineer.

The hi-hats I'm using in the clip are a fairly affordable model, although they're presumably hand hammered B-20 ones.
They're the Rock Beat series by Zultan Cymbals. I think that's an exclusive brand to Thomann, the largest music retailer in Europe, though.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
It would be useful to hear how the toms are picked up by the overhead mic. That’s often the weak link with 2 or 3 mic’s - the balance between cymbals and toms.

C.M. Jones

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words!
And I'm 100% with you on the importance of a competent sound engineer.

The hi-hats I'm using in the clip are a fairly affordable model, although they're presumably hand hammered B-20 ones.
They're the Rock Beat series by Zultan Cymbals. I think that's an exclusive brand to Thomann, the largest music retailer in Europe, though.
Well, you have a nice pair of hats for sure. I've found little correlation between the cost of cymbals and their sound quality. There are some great-sounding cymbals made from sheet rather than cast these days. In fact, sheet cymbals offer a more consistent sound. With cast, each cymbal is unique, but you never know what you're getting.