What a difference a hoop makes !

evilg99

Platinum Member
So I have this Yamaha Vintage Series snare drum, 14x6, maple 4 ply with re-rings, 8 lugs, 30 degree edges. Yamaha's modern version of a vintage snare.

I few years ago, I had a set of 8 hole die cast hoops lying around...decided to put them on this drum. Don't remember playing it live or using it much...put it back in the bag and didn't really use it for a while.

Put it behind my new Gresch USA Bop kit today...and it was kinda 'meh'. I mean it looked like it belonged there what with the die cast hoops and the satin maple finish, slightly darker than the Gretsch kit - but the sound...meh.
Super Bonky. Cloudy. Not much crack or snap or air. No give. Like it was being choked. Had a coated Emperor on it too.

Off come the hoops and heads and snare wires (Puresound blasters).
Noticed that the snare side head had been tensioned so high at one point (I don't think I did it, I bought the drum used) that the collars were really streched! Almost an inch of collar. Not right. I advocate for tight snare resonant heads but not like that.

So...put the original 1.6mm hoops back on , top and bottom along with a new coated Ambassador and a new Hazy Ambassador snare side. Then I installed the small 10 strand snare wires that came with my RC brass snare as the alt set.

What a difference ! It's alive! Snap, crack, tone. Beautiful.
I am really beginning to like 1.6mm hoops on a lot of drums lately.

This drum was just not designed to have die cast hoops on it.
The Gretsch, they are. They're perfect as is.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I recently put a Gibraltar wood hoop on my B.B. to replace a diecast hoop. It sounds SO much more open, and of course the rim clicks and rim shots are just wonderful now (and waaay easier on sticks).

I honestly don’t know why people don’t do wood hoops on top and 1.6 on bottom for every snare.

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
1.6 mm hoops have this undeserved stigma attached because you find them on pretty much every inexpensive kit and a lot of high end kits have 2.3 or die-cast. Sometimes a simple regular hoop is just what a drum needs to come alive.

I've been tempted to mess around with lighter hoops on my Gretsch drums just to see. Then laziness wins. :D

Last edited:

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I have a Ludwig brass snare drum that had 1.6mm hoops on it. I tried putting 2.3mm hoops on it.
It killed the personality of the drum. It killed most of the overtones. I put the 1.6mm hoops back on.

I would rather dampen and dry out a snare drum using drum heads and tape. Evans makes some great drum heads that will dampen any drum.

evilg99

Platinum Member
One of things that was resonating with me, and perhaps the reason why I wanted to go back and 'try out' the 1.6 mm hoops on the snare - came from reading about the R&D Yamaha was doing when working on the new Recording Customs. (I own old and new RCs)

They talk about ply layups, edges, mounts, adding weight to the lugs...and then they said that they tried 2.3mm hoops and their own die cast aluminum hoops on the drums - but found that those hoops 'changed the sound too much'. Which I found interesting because Yamaha aluminum die cast hoops are very light. It must have a lot to do with stiffness too then.

Anyway...good to see Yamaha doing 1.6mm hoops on the RC's - and they are probably the only high quality 1.6mm being made on the planet right now. Yamaha have always priced 'parts' like an auto maker , so buying them to outfit other drums would be very expensive.

No question, 1.6 hoops aren't going to work on everything. drumdevil9, you mention trying thinner hoops on your Gretsch Brookyln. I don't think that's going to work well...those stick chopper hoops are as heavy as die cast, and they just work on those shells. I've tried 2.3mm on Gretsch USA and didn't like it at all.

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
I'm happy with the sound as is so if I were to try it, it would be out of pure curiosity. The shell hoop combo does seem to work.

pgm554

Platinum Member
One of things that was resonating with me, and perhaps the reason why I wanted to go back and 'try out' the 1.6 mm hoops on the snare - came from reading about the R&D Yamaha was doing when working on the new Recording Customs. (I own old and new RCs)

They talk about ply layups, edges, mounts, adding weight to the lugs...and then they said that they tried 2.3mm hoops and their own die cast aluminum hoops on the drums - but found that those hoops 'changed the sound too much'. Which I found interesting because Yamaha aluminum die cast hoops are very light. It must have a lot to do with stiffness too then.

Anyway...good to see Yamaha doing 1.6mm hoops on the RC's - and they are probably the only high quality 1.6mm being made on the planet right now. Yamaha have always priced 'parts' like an auto maker , so buying them to outfit other drums would be very expensive.

No question, 1.6 hoops aren't going to work on everything. drumdevil9, you mention trying thinner hoops on your Gretsch Brookyln. I don't think that's going to work well...those stick chopper hoops are as heavy as die cast, and they just work on those shells. I've tried 2.3mm on Gretsch USA and didn't like it at all.
Pearl's doing a fat tone 1.6 that is of pretty high qualty with the characteristics of a die cast.
They are shipping them on their reference series .

evilg99

Platinum Member
New heads top and bottom surely would have made a big difference too
Of course,new heads make a big difference... but new hoops open up a whole other level of possibilities.

I am always trying out different heads on drums to see what they do...but don't really experiment with hoops that much.

To give you an idea of just how much I experiment with heads, here's a picture of my gently used heads ( I throw out well used heads...blue bag recycling )
These are just the 12" and 14" :

Attachments

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
I did the same thing with a Maple FFS snare.
It comes with die-cast hoops, and one day I tried it with a super hoop on top instead. It opened up the sound, I like it a lot.

WallyY

Platinum Member
Pearl's doing a fat tone 1.6 that is of pretty high qualty with the characteristics of a die cast.
They are shipping them on their reference series .
I have these on my drums.

I have heard this claim before but I don't notice anything in their nature that has a characteristic of die cast.

They sound very open.

A bonus to these hoops is they're very easy to wipe clean, being straight walled hoops.