what a difference a few inches makes!

moojii

hey y'all

i have been drumming on and off for the best part of twenty years. six months ago i went and bought another kit and started a covers band.

i set my kit up as i remembered, throne and hats roughly the same height as before...snare same height as before etc etc

after reading some posts on this great forum regarding sticks being chewed and heights of thrones etc i decided to move my throne and snare up a few inches....

wow is all i can say...i played more fluidly...faster and with greater control! everything seemed to be more ergonomic!!

just wished i had done this years ago!!

i am a very happy bunny and it didn't cost me any money!!

I'm with you on that. I had to move my throne height up about 1.5" to accommodate a slightly higher tom mounting position, & to my surprise, found it to be beneficial to my playing.

I agree. Throne height, as well as stability and comfort is SO overlooked but makes a world of difference.

I've been steadily raising my throne the last year or so. A spin or two. Every few months, another half-inch or so.

I've finally reach the point where my knees are significantly lower than my hips.

Loving it so much!!! I like playing this high. Changes the way I approach quads... my timing has improved so much.

Its confidence inspiring. I think I'll stay this high for a bit!

-Ken

Agreed. I tend to sit a little higher than most too. I like the feeling of hitting down on to my drums.

The same thing goes for me. If I'm playing someone else's kit, I'll adjust to the set-up. But I prefer to sit slightly higher on the drum throne and this prevents those occasional non scripted rim shots.

Dennis

I'm 6'2", but have relatively short legs and a long torso. I've always liked a high throne height. For me, having that perfect balance point on your rear end is key, particularly for heel-up playing. I switched to trad grip a year ago after 20 years of matched. I had to rearrange most of my kit to accommodate the new grip. I recently raised the height of my snare a good 4". HUGE difference.Way better leverage and rebound.

I've been steadily raising my throne the last year or so. A spin or two. Every few months, another half-inch or so.

I've finally reach the point where my knees are significantly lower than my hips.

Loving it so much!!! I like playing this high. Changes the way I approach quads... my timing has improved so much.

Its confidence inspiring. I think I'll stay this high for a bit!

-Ken

it definitely is confidence inspiring...i feel more in control of everything.

so far just been playing at home with the new set-up.....bring on rehearsals on wednesday...cant wait!!

Have a think about it......that's as far as I dare to go on a family friendly forum!! :)

I knew you weren't goin to let that one hang there too long mate.:)

I just rearranged everything a few inches here and there,to spread thing out a little bit,and it feels great!

Steve B

For me the few inches I can get sitting lower with an 18" bass drum which a 22" does not allow makes an enormous difference for me.

I recently set up my 22" after playing the 18" for quite some time and no matter how I try - it isn't happening. Negatively impacts the way I play and feel.

Rehearsed with the band last night and wow what a difference.

Even the others commented that my playing was more fluid and precise.

Also used some bigger sticks, greg bisonette sig sticks, the drums sounded thunderous!

Yay

I sit low because I feel more balanced and in control.

From what I noticed when I'm not behind a kit but running sound for other drummers is that drummers that sit high do not have near the power of one that sits low. So don't expect a good kick drum sound if you lack power.

I think throne height is a good topic but I would assume a great height is explained in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-3GU6Nry0Q

I sit low because I feel more balanced and in control.

From what I noticed when I'm not behind a kit but running sound for other drummers is that drummers that sit high do not have near the power of one that sits low.

I sit higher because I feel more balanced and in control.

If you're not comfortable at the kit, you're not gonna get anymore power......no matter how low you sit.

Back