What a difference a coating makes!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So I’m totally digging the new Ludwig Classic Maples, but I noticed how critical head selection can be.

I initially installed a Evans 56 calf front head on the bass drum, and I was diggin the mellow lowness of the drum, but I noticed it lacked the bark that the other drums have. When I laid into it, it sorta muted. So I went to a smooth white Remo PowerStroke 3 and NOW the drum goes with me, and more important it sounds like it belongs with the other ones. I think the pseudo-calf reso head does well if I was going for that old-timey jazz tone, warmth was the sound. I needed to bring it forward a little, like into the 1960s, where they were getting the drums to cut a bit more. Plus I think the white head looks better against the blue.

Its a little weird because I’ve used the calfskin on other bass drums and it sounded ok. Apparently maybe the Ludwigs are sensitive to what they need to speak. I never saw this happen with other Ludwigs since this is probably the first time I tried the simulated calf skin.

Attachments

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Yea, certain heads definitely bring out different frequencies in the drum. I am trying pins on my drums, and on my steambent ash set, I didn't like pins on my 10" tom or my 16" floor. But I loved them on my 12" tom. And they really sound good on all the walnut drums.

Last edited:

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Good to know Bo, this re-emphasizes what I'm hearing in the Remo bass drum head comparison video, as well as a video that Ken Loomer did on his Slingerland kit explaining how Buddy tuned his drums with smooth white heads to get a projecting drum tone.

I'm not intending to hijack your thread with this, just thought I'd share ...

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Yea, certain heads definitely bring out different frequencies in the drum. I am trying pins on my drums, and on my steambent ash set, I didn't like pins on my 10" tom or my 16" floor. But I loved them on my 12" tom. And they really sound good on all the walnut drums.
Pinstripes I thought sound really good on the birch drums of the 80s. Yamahas, Tama...they were awesome with pins. I did not like them on maple, and I didn’t think I’d care 😉

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Good to know Bo, this re-emphasizes what I'm hearing in the Remo bass drum head comparison video, as well as a video that Ken Loomer did on his Slingerland kit explaining how Buddy tuned his drums with smooth white heads to get a projecting drum tone.

I'm not intending to hijack your thread with this, just thought I'd share ...
That’s cool. But I think Buddy also did the usual coated ambassadors both sides with a felt strip on each head. A very different sound from our modern muffling ring built into the head deal nowadays. I did a 26” with ambassadors and felt strips once and it was monstrous. It sounded good out front, but I hated it where I sat!