What’s the update on Yamaha?

RK1

They last I heard from what I was told by my local drum shop, Sweetwater rep, and Yamaha at NAMM was, “It’s coming.” The issue is the paint supplier, and Yamaha being Yamaha, they won’t market anything until a long trial has given them the green light.

Has anyone heard anything?

Are you sure they were not talking about the new deep blue sunburst color on the Stage Custom drums? Nice color by the way.
Or the Matte Surf Green on the Stage Custom?

No, high-end: RCs, AHMs, Oak. You can still get a PHX because they’re made in Japan, but not many have PHX money. My local shop will not even trade for their AHM because they do not know when they’ll restock.

Are you sure they were not talking about the new deep blue sunburst color on the Stage Custom drums? Nice color by the way.
Or the Matte Surf Green on the Stage Custom?

Yamaha does not make the Stage Custom.. they are made by a contractor.

Yamaha does not make the Stage Custom.. they are made by a contractor.
Are you sure? I have never heard this-- quite the opposite. The story has been that everything but the PHX is made in their own factory in China.

Are you sure? I have never heard this-- quite the opposite. The story has been that everything but the PHX is made in their own factory in China.

It's fairly common knowledge more or less .. but the fact is that the Yamaha Product Drum Manager.. Jim Haler.. is the guy who revealed the info years ago.

It’s not uncommon for one factory to be cranking several different brands of products. It was reported that Matsushita made ALL of the VCRs except for Sony back in the day. I wouldn’t be surprised if one big drum warehouse was making drums for a few different brands either. Just so long as it’s a quality product and is what it’s supposed to be, I don’t care who made them and where.

Here is Tama’s factory in China….and it was built ground up for Tama. I don’t believe it’s a shared plant at all. Wouldn’t surprise me if Yamaha is the same way.

It's fairly common knowledge more or less .. but the fact is that the Yamaha Product Drum Manager.. Jim Haler.. is the guy who revealed the info years ago.
Agreed.
My understanding of the current lines:
PHX made in Japan.
RC, AHM, Live Hybrid made in Yamaha's own China factory.
Tour, Stage, Rydeen contracted out - made in Taiwan and mainland China.

I still find it funny that people still think something being made in china means its bad. Like, China isn't some backwater third world country. They make quality stuff.
It is odd….and forget drums for a second….people all around the world, every single day….are ingesting or injecting products made in China into their bodies. And don’t give it a second thought lol. But heaven forbid they mess with my drums! Them are fighting words

Maybe it was true in 2016 and not in 2023.

My understanding has always been that Yamaha makes their higher lines in their own Chinese factories, and contract their lower lines to other factories (e.g. Jinbao or Reliance).
Last time I've heard, their own factory was running out of lacquer due to COVID-related supply issues. They should be able to re-stock slowly, unless the supplier had gone bankrupt.
For some people, it's factors other than the product that are objectionable.

Yamaha needs to do some updating. The blurb on their site is from 2014.
Ironically I still need to check their American website for new information, as their Chinese website is even more outdated!

They last I heard from what I was told by my local drum shop, Sweetwater rep, and Yamaha at NAMM was, “It’s coming.” The issue is the paint supplier, and Yamaha being Yamaha, they won’t market anything until a long trial has given them the green light.

Has anyone heard anything?

Did their paint supplier run out of black and dark red paint or something?

I'll see myself out...

Back