What’s the first song you learned to play?

Heck I was 8 I don’t remember but I do remember playing “Wipe out” at gigs -over and over again and it was an endurance song for me at that age.

I will sound French on that one : Jean Jacques Goldman : il suffira d'un signe
:D

To be perfectly candid, I don't recall. For my first year as a drummer, at my instructor's demand, I did nothing but pad/snare work. Then, also at my instructor's demand, I incorporated a hi-hat and a bass drum for another six months. When I got my first full kit, I practiced mostly to country and rock, but I don't remember the initial song I tackled. AC/DC's "Back in Black" would be a fair guess.

Last edited:
I'd be lying if I didn't say Wipeout.

I was playing Tenor Sax in the school band because we "Just don't need mores Drummer Nick" - but they could not get their head around Wipeout - so I played it. :)

Last edited:
As far as I can recall, my first public performance on drum kit was playing ‘MacArthur Park’ in high school concert band. I was actually 1st trombone in the band, but the regular drummer couldn’t cope with the syncopated bit in the bridge, so the band director got me to play it.

As an 80's teen with his first drum set & a crush on this drummer...

Louie, Louie

My drumming was about as clear as the lyrics. It was fun though.

I read a story once, I don't know if it's true, that the FBI tried and failed to decipher the lyrics to this song.

All they would have had to do was listen to the original by Richard Berry. The lyrics really are crystal clear.

Here's the verses:

A fine little girl, she waits for me
Me catch the ship across the sea
Me sailed the ship all alone
Me never think I'll make it home

Three nights and days me sailed the sea
Me think of girl constantly
On the ship, I dream she there
I smell the rose oh in her hair

Me see Jamaica,…moon above
It won't be long me see me love
Me take her in my arms and then
I tell her I I never leave again

Next time you listen, the lyrics will be crystal clear lol

The bass line cracks me up. Someone is singing the bass line with their vocals

Source: LyricFind

Probably some marching band song, as I started out with that before I got into band playing. But if we're talking in a band situation, probably either For Whom The Bell Tolls or Enter Sandman.

Back