What’s the best electronic drum kit under $800?

SomeBadDrummer

Been testing out some e drum kits at some of the local shops such as GC and want to get some input on which ones I should consider for practice and demo sessions. Who has experience with such and can offer advice? Looking at $500-800 for a supplemental kit for practice. But definitely want kick pedals and a real feel. Is there such a thing?

alexson

You can purchase Alesis Surge Mesh Kit, Eight-Piece Electronic Drum Kit with Mesh Heads, 40 Kits, 385 Sounds, 60 Play-Along Tracks, USB/MIDI Connectivity. It is of good quality.

electrodrummer

Been testing out some e drum kits .... and a real feel"

Hi - feel is subjective. So, if you've been testing (a good thing :) ), you can see what's a "real feel" to YOU. Bear in mind an electric kit is not an acoustic kit - it's a different instrument that shares some similar basic playing techniques. A Strat doesn't feel the same as an acoustic dreadnought.

So - have you played anything you like the feel of? You haven't said what you've tried :(
- Try mesh from different people - some can be really bouncy. Try Silicone from Yamaha - the closest to mylar - and the quietest. Try various rubber - they're all different.

Beyond "feel", here's some things to think about

Question:
  • What features are you interested in?

And things to consider...
  • Hit some things. Buy what YOU like the feel of. (you've doing this - great!)
  • Download and read the manuals of anything you're interested in to get a grip on usability and features.
  • Avoid proprietary cable snakes
  • Look for expansion flexibility
  • Look for MIDI note layering and switching and zero limits on what note or channel can be used on the kit.
  • Look for multi-zoned pads (pref 3-zone snare as a minimum, 3-zone cymbals with choke, etc)
  • Avoid cheapo Medeli-badged stuff.
  • Get 2nd user for more for your money. For example https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Yamaha/DTX-RS502-Electric-Drum-Set-116804645.gc is going the be more featured than anything else for that budget, and has all silicone pads -for you to try to see if you like the feel. (ps, it's DTX582K - it's labelled wrong)

Last edited:

Doraemon

I'd maybe consider the Roland TD-1dmk as a very basic, but durable little kit. Or the Crimson II SE with more features but maybe less quality, but upgraded pads (non-SE ones are easier to break). If other, cheaper Alesis kits, consider buying from Sweetwater with 2-year warranty. Or look for used Rolands. It's not the best price range in my opinion, I'd rather spend more or less, as you may end up with a very limited or lower quality kit at a higher price. I personally prefer getting a cheap thing for cheap or go full in. (I have a Surge, it's a good deal for $500ish.) Ask chat for discount.
Are you a beginner or you really need most of the acoustic feel? Real hihat stand? Ride bell? Roland mesh is 2ply and a little better maybe.

SomeBadDrummer

Thanks for the responses! I am an experienced drummer (been playing since a kid) who has only used acoustic drums.
Just thinking about a reasonably priced e kit for practice sessions at home. I’ve tried a Roland and Alesis, the Roland is nice but more than I’ll spend. I understand that the e drums have mesh heads and feel different than acoustics. I just want to avoid garbage kits, used is fine with me. Thanks again for your suggestions and advice!

electrodrummer

Last edited: