What’s the “Supra” of Piccolos?

NouveauCliche

I think the quintessential piccolo snare is the Noble & Cooley 3-7/8" X 14" Maple SS Classic snare that Matt Chamberlain borrowed to record the Wallflowers' One Headlight (as well as that size Maple snare being Phil Collins' primary snare). That being said, and as good as the Noble & Cooley Maple 3-7/8" X 14" snare is, to my ear the Noble & Cooley Cherry SS Classic in that same size is the best piccolo snare I have ever heard hands down.
Ahhhhh - that's my favorite recorded snare drum sound -I I was just going to make a post asking if anyone knew what it was...thank you! Now to find one.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Ahhhhh - that's my favorite recorded snare drum sound -I I was just going to make a post asking if anyone knew what it was...thank you! Now to find one.
I went in dead set on purchasing the Maple 3-7/8" X 14' SS Classic but opted to go with the Cherry. I think if everyone had the opportunity to A/B the Noble & Cooley SS Classic piccolo Maple and Cherry side by side, 9 out of 10 drummers would walk out with the Cherry.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I went in dead set on purchasing the Maple 3-7/8" X 14' SS Classic but opted to go with the Cherry. I think if everyone had the opportunity to A/B the Noble & Cooley SS Classic piccolo Maple and Cherry side by side, 9 out of 10 drummers would walk out with the Cherry.
Well, the extra brightness of cherry compliments the sound of a piccolo better, I’d guess.

mitkoni

My vote for classic piccolo would be Pearl Maple 3 x 13. It sounds good recorded, live, like a main snare, like a side snare, and it has surprisingly wide tuning range. If I am not mistaken is fairly inexpensive.
That being said, I also have two very different animals - Dunnett solid steam bent 4 x 13 and Dunnett Titanium 4 x 15. I think these could be considered as piccolo type as well, but they are into the "unique" category :)

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
My youth orchestra rehearsed at the UNC-SA orchestra rehearsal room back when I was a teen. The snare they used was (I think) a Ludwig aluminum 3x13. I’m not sure if it was steel or aluminum, actually, but it sounded incredible, even with a fairly worn-out batter head. I actually liked it a lot better than the Acros and Supras we had in my school band program. Just really dry and super-crisp. Not a whisper of unnecessary ring, unlike the Supras. And that is really helpful in orchestral work, which seems to always need a really dry, crisp, sensitive snare sound.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Not sure if you'd categorize them as the Supra of piccolos but Pearl piccolos are exceptional. I've had several. My favorite right now is the "Smitty" Smith copper. It's a 14x4 and kicks butt.

Shedboyxx

Silver Member
I'm not sure there is one, if I understand the question correctly.

Part of what makes a Supra "a Supra" is it's universal "one size fits all" sound. I think any specialized type of drum is by its very nature not as versatile.

That said, a Pearl free floating piccolo actually has a pretty wide tuning range. I used to play a brass one that sounded fantastic tuned down a bit.
+1