What’s the “Supra” of Piccolos?

IBitePrettyHard

Good question. My gut is telling me there isn't one.

There's a large variety of piccolos on Reverb.....but none of them really stand out in the way a Supraphonic would.
https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=piccolo snare drum

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the Omar Hakim signature snare. It's not exactly a piccolo but comes real close. (Pearl actually calls it a "power piccolo") And most importantly it sounds absolutely amazing tuned really high.

(TIME STAMP 1:08)

Last edited:

toonamike

Ludwig has made Black Beauties in piccolo size (3" x 13") from time to time.

I had a late 1980s Tama Artwood 8-ply maple piccolo. It had die-cast hoops. That thing sounded amazing.

I have a Ludwig Classic Maple piccolo (3.5" x 13") on order. I should have it in two weeks.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I'm not sure there is one, if I understand the question correctly.

Part of what makes a Supra "a Supra" is it's universal "one size fits all" sound. I think any specialized type of drum is by its very nature not as versatile.

That said, a Pearl free floating piccolo actually has a pretty wide tuning range. I used to play a brass one that sounded fantastic tuned down a bit.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
I think the quintessential piccolo snare is the Noble & Cooley 3-7/8" X 14" Maple SS Classic snare that Matt Chamberlain borrowed to record the Wallflowers' One Headlight (as well as that size Maple snare being Phil Collins' primary snare). That being said, and as good as the Noble & Cooley Maple 3-7/8" X 14" snare is, to my ear the Noble & Cooley Cherry SS Classic in that same size is the best piccolo snare I have ever heard hands down.

Ahchv

I think the quintessential piccolo snare is the Noble & Cooley 3-7/8" X 14" Maple SS Classic snare that Matt Chamberlain borrowed to record the Wallflowers' One Headlight (as well as that size Maple snare being Phil Collins' primary snare). That being said, and as good as the Noble & Cooley Maple 3-7/8" X 14" snare is, to my ear the Noble & Cooley Cherry SS Classic in that same size is the best piccolo snare I have ever heard hands down.
Meant classic above not classical my bad!

That’s pretty cool about One Headlight - I didn’t know that!

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
If you mean, what set the standard and is most popular, then I would agree on the Yamaha brass.

Tons of them were sold when Dave Weckl was using them, which then lead other manufacturers to introduce (or re-introduce after decades of not making) piccolo drums.

trickg

Silver Member
The National Guard band I'm in has a brass Pearl Free-Floater that is awesome. That's what I'd get if I was going to get one.

RickP

Gold Member
This snare was also used on the Tom Petty song “ Last dance with Mary Jane “ . They are fabulous snare drums and way more versatile than most piccolo snares .

Ahchv

Has anyone seen a list of sorts of famous / iconic sounds that were recorded by specific brands!? I love all these song facts!

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
I THINK Ludwig made a 3 x 13 piccolo of the same shell used in acrolites. And aren’t the acrolite shells and Supra shells really similar? Sorry I don’t know my Ludwig history very well so someone correct me if I’m wrong

It had those cool quirky looking sideways lugs

Shedboyxx

Silver Member
I'd get one of those Pearl Free Floater piccolo snares if I was to get one.
I owned one of these (Brass Pearl FF piccolo) but sold it after not using it on a gig for a year. It really was versatile and sounded good tuned down as well as up.